Videos that rock your collective socks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
..I just saw the video for Street Spirit (I know, but better late than never)...and it rocked. It's so weird and cool in a trippy type of way...those dancer/nun-looking people were phenomenally beautiful and fantastic.

What are other great videos? Not necessarily weird or anything, but just...GOOD. Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' is another favourite of mine. And Weezer's Island in the Sun.

the clash--rock the casbah

makes me laugh.

there are others. i like korn's freak on a leash video despite the fact that i fucking hate that song. i can't think of too many more off the top of my head though.

what is there to get? it's just funny.

i like the armadillo, it's a nice touch.

dropkick murphys--spicy mchaggis jig, also makes me laugh. but that's cos it's also a rather amusing song.

I enjoy watching videos period, but I especially love watching these:

AFI - The Leaving Song, Part 2
AFI - Silver and Cold
Placebo - The Bitter End
Radiohead - Just
Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River

oh yeah silver and cold is a cool video

by the way, what the FUCK is that pink bunny thing in the video for girl's not grey? still have no clue...

IWasBored said:
i like korn's freak on a leash video despite the fact that i fucking hate that song.

That is a good video. :yes:.

Originally posted by u2popmofo
UNKLE - 'Rabbit In Your Headlights'

LOL, that video is weird. But you're right, it is good.

Let's see here, a few videos I like watching...

-"The Sweetest Thing" and "Where The Streets Have No Name"-you-know-who :p.
-"Once In A Lifetime"-Talking Heads
-"Weapon Of Choice"-Fatboy Slim
-"Mary Jane's Last Dance" and "Don't Come Around Here No More"-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
-"Thriller"-Michael Jackson
-"Jeremy"-Pearl Jam

Angela

The Fly
Until the End of the World
Lemon
Weapon of Choice
Pearl Jam - Do the Evolution
Incubus - Megalomaniac
Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight
KoRn - Freak on a Leash
Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar

bobby mcferin - don't worry , be happy , the best medicine against bad mood

U2 - Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me , Kill Me - cartoon cartoons

Genesis - Land Of Confusion , i like puppets

WinnieThePoo said:
bobby mcferin - don't worry , be happy , the best medicine against bad mood

You're absolutely right-that video is definitely great for cheering people up. :).

Originally posted by WinnieThePoo
Genesis - Land Of Confusion , i like puppets

Haha, I loved that video when I was little. Still love it now.

Angela

well... the all-time ate-my-head video is a-ha's Take On Me.

but then again I was just coming of the proper age to be impressed by music videos when MTV first burst on the scene....
Herbie Hancock's 'Rockit' is another one...
Bowie - Space Oddity
Queen - Save Me and Radio Ga Ga

as for our lads' contributions....
it may be sacrelige to some but I always was totally captivated by The Unforgettable Fire. The mushroom cloud superimposed on the carnival ride scared me to death. Maybe because in the same era Sting released 'Russians' and nobody's parents let them stay up to watch The Day After -- we were all terrified of nuclear weapons and the possibility of attack.

The other one I will just always have to stop whatever I'm doing and watch like a captivated zombie is WGRYWH. I don't know why. It's just hypnotic somehow.

Just plain good,

Fatboy Slim- Praise you
Fleetwood Mac- Hold Me: lots of mirrors in the desert, but it works well
Duran Duran- anything by these guys, they were so self indulgent, but Rio, Girls on Film and Wild Boys are all cool
U2- AIWIY
Madonna- Vogue: this is just way too cool, I love her:wink:

Just plain bad,

Guns n roses- November rain: too self indulgent
Aphex Twin- Come to Daddy: scariest clip you are ever likely to see
:ohmy:

"November Rain" is good, too, as is "Vogue". "Like A Prayer" is another video of Madonna's I like, merely because of how gutsy a move it was.

I also forgot to add the Talking Heads' "Burning Down The House", Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train", and Nine Inch Nails' "Closer" (that video's just so twisted that I feel compelled to watch it each time it's on).

wolfeden said:
Bowie - Space Oddity

Speaking of Bowie...another funky video from him-"Ashes To Ashes". I've never seen a video before that looked at all like that one did. Never.

Originally posted by wolfeden
as for our lads' contributions....
it may be sacrelige to some but I always was totally captivated by The Unforgettable Fire. The mushroom cloud superimposed on the carnival ride scared me to death. Maybe because in the same era Sting released 'Russians' and nobody's parents let them stay up to watch The Day After -- we were all terrified of nuclear weapons and the possibility of attack.

That is a good video. :yes:. I'd never noticed the mushroom cloud before...I'll check for that next time I'm watching it (I've seen "The Day After"...christ, that movie scared the bejesus out of me :ohmy: :no: :reject:...).

I also agree with "All I Want Is You". "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is another excellent one of theirs. It's so fun to watch. :).

Angela

Kajagoogoo - Too Shy :huh: :lol: :eeklaugh: looks like it was filmed in someone's basement with a home video camera.

I like Zombie - Cranberries (and Sunday Bloody Sunday of course, since they're speaking about the same thing),
Madonna - Frozen (although the song it's kitschy),
REM - Losing my religion, The one I love,
Roxy Music - Avalon (Brian Eno rocks) , anything from Bruce, Karma Hotel, WOWY, Coldplay - all, Seven nation army, nothing else matters, and Smells like teen spirit - NIRVANA!!!

Oooh, so many videos....

The White Stripes- Fell in love with a girl (proof that lego is for all ages)
Feeder- Just a Day (probably the cheapest video ever made, but :bow: genius)
Foo Fighters- Everlong (again, genius) and Learn to Fly for comedy points.
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Maps(simple video which works really well)
Bjork- Bachelorette
R.E.M.- Imitation of Life
and for the U2 vid, I'd have to pick The Sweetest Thing, I almost died laughing the first time I saw the firemen.

In November Rain, I heard (back when it was filmed) that he was hauled to court as the 'minister' was actually a real one and they really did get married. The chick (some model?) was mega pissed as Axl had been after her for ages and figured to lure her into a marriage in the film clip was a good idea...???
I cant rememebr where I read this but it sounds completely untrue yet totally something Axl Rose would do.

I have to confess the Seven Nation Army clip bugs the crap out of me. I think I associate it with those horrible strawberry and cream lollies, all that red and white...And it keeps jumping.
:scream:

ALL of Michael Jackson's clips are art. He is a genius artist. :up:

Any of Talking Heads, more genius!

Soul Asylum's Runaway Train was also brilliance. The controversy over this one was very sad and I feel a lot of sympathy for the families.

Weapon of Choice :up:

Icehouse's Electric Blue :lmao:

:crack:

Angela Harlem said:
Soul Asylum's Runaway Train was also brilliance. The controversy over this one was very sad and I feel a lot of sympathy for the families.

*Nods* It doesn't get a lot of the recognition it deserves.

Did they ever find any of the kids featured in the video?

Also, I didn't realize there was controversy over it.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

I think they did. I remember hearing that they had found some of the kids and were going to change the video to include more missing children to replace the photos of the ones who had been found.

As for November Rain, wasn't the bride Stephanie Seymour, Axl's real-life girlfriend/wife? I don't think there was any tricking her into marrying him involved--they really were together. :shrug:

HeartlandGirl said:
I think they did. I remember hearing that they had found some of the kids and were going to change the video to include more missing children to replace the photos of the ones who had been found.

Oh, yeah? That's cool. :).

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
As for November Rain, wasn't the bride Stephanie Seymour, Axl's real-life girlfriend/wife? I don't think there was any tricking her into marrying him involved--they really were together. :shrug:

Yeah, that's what I'd heard, too...

Angela

UNKLE - Rabbit In Your Headlights
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Super Furry Animals - It's Not The End Of The World
Elbow - Fallen Angel
Kashmir - Rocket Brothers
Bright Eyes - Bowl for Oranges... or something
Bj?rk - Bachelorette, All Is Full Of Love, I've Seen It All
Fatboy Slim - Weapon Of Choice
Sigur Ros - Untitled... what number? I don't know, the video is beautiful... directed by F. Sigismondi
Interpol - Obstacle 1
Massive Attack - Special Cases
U2 - Please, One (Berlin)
Madonna - What It Feels Like For A Girl

and many more...

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

*Nods* It doesn't get a lot of the recognition it deserves.

Also, I didn't realize there was controversy over it.

Angela

I thought some of the kids shown were actually murder victims, not run aways which upset the families. This could be as accurate as the November Rain thing though lol, but I think this is true. Maybe...:D
:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom