Vegetarians - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 PM
I dunno...I think Indian, Thai, and Ethiopian vegetarian foods are at a 3 way tie.

You know, there are loads of Indian restaurants to eat out, and places to buy ingredients to cook your own.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
You know, there are loads of Indian restaurants to eat out, and places to buy ingredients to cook your own.
In New Jersey, maybe. Not in the middle of buttfuckville in western NY.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

In New Jersey, maybe. Not in the middle of buttfuckville in western NY.

:notmovingtobutfuckville,ny:
Old 07-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #49
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I think the smell coming from a BBQ is generally disgusting. It depends on what's in it.

Last week at school, my class had to go through a week long crash course in culinary skills to learn the basics of sauces and other basics. I was exempt from handling the meat and was given other things to do. We made a lot of sauces to go with a meal each night. There was a lot of meat made and the smells were amazing but it wasn't a burning meat smell at all; it was all of the sauces and seasonings we used. We used a ton of fresh garlic
Old 07-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Indian vegetarian food is way tastier than American vegetarian food.

*proud*

Old 07-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Actually, where I live in the US, (MN) there isn't a lot of Indian spices to be had. I make do with what's available tho, and use lots of jalapenos and habanero peppers to compensate. Hot sauces go a long way towards making food tasty... and this time when I go back to the States in August, I'm planning on bringing back a large variety of spices with me.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

So you cook all your meat without any seasoning or sauces?
I use a satay paste (but it has a very light scent and you have to stick your nose right in it to smell it), or I just marinade the meat in something like olive oil and a few spices.

You can definitely smell bbq sauce a mile away, but not so with the other ways of cooking. Or if I brush veggies like zucchini with olive oil or something and toss them on the grill, it smells incredible and it's not spiced.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:44 PM
vegetarians... how can you live with yourselfs?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #54
Forum Moderator

Indian cuisine certainly does have a much larger and more diverse array of vegetarian dishes than any other, unfortunately most Indian restaurants in the US really only serve Punjabi-style Moghul dishes, so most Americans have no idea how tiny a sampling of the total they're getting. That seems to be changing a little in the big coastal cities, but only a little. There are lots of good mail-order sources for spices now like unico said--though when you can't see what you're ordering, it can be a problem, because often the same spice will have different names in different Indian languages or regions (and some of those names will in turn refer to a totally different spice in another language or region), which can make things really confusing.

I love Thai and Ethiopian vegetarian dishes too though, and actually there are lots of cuisines that have a large array of traditionally vegetarian dishes...my mother's Greek and she did all the cooking in our family, so there are a lot of Greek vegetarian dishes I like and make regularly, for example (it's for pretty much the same reason as in Ethiopia--the native Christian denomination has many meat-free days in their calendar. That, and also that most people couldn't afford to eat meat often until very recently). So a lot of it really does come down to what kinds of flavor combinations appeal to you.

I'm not a vegetarian, I don't eat much meat though and veggies have always been my favorite 'food group'. I'm allergic to cow's milk, and don't much care for most 'soy products' I've tried...that still leaves plenty to choose from though!

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:14 AM
I haven't had a chance to visit any Ethiopian restaurants - there are very few African diners around here, but what are some of their vegetarian dishes like? Main ingrediants and such.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I haven't had a chance to visit any Ethiopian restaurants - there are very few African diners around here, but what are some of their vegetarian dishes like? Main ingrediants and such.
ANYTHING with lentils for sure! i also like the idea of ditching the silverware and eating by using the yummy bread as a scoop. i've also had a dish that was made with tempeh...i don't remember what it was called. omg and the collards are divine! just be sure to ask them if they cooked it in meat or not. sometimes it is.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:44 PM
I don't know how anyone can not want to eat one of these.

I mean do you want to end up like this?

but in all seriousness. My uncle is a Vegetarian but he will eat fish?? Whats the difference?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 AM   #58
New Yorker

Personally, I think all animals are animals. Fish, cows, cats, pigs, they are all living breathing beings that can think, feel, and react.

I do know people who don't consider fish the same as mammals, but in my personal opinion, I cannot eat fish if I do not eat the other animals. Of course, I cannot call people hypocrites because ... I am not completely vegan myself. I eat eggs, milk, and cheese, and other products made from animals. But usually I stray from products that had to kill an animal to make.

However, leather is a huge problem for me, because there is so much leather in the things I am exposed to everyday. It bothers me, but my reason for vegetarianism is a mainly personal ordeal and mostly about the consumption of animal flesh.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:14 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Oh my God, I love Indian Food and we have some very good Indian Restaurants here in my city. We also have a huge market where you get all the spices and herbs, I just love it. Our national cuisine is traditionally based on meat, so I am not so much into that, it's quite fat and unhealthy. I love Asian vegetarian food, but I also enjoy eating and cooking pasta. I mostly use egg-free pasta. I also love all kinds of salads, it never gets boring. Especially during the summer, salads are my favourite food.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:26 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Indian food is also extremely diverse - each region has their own separate style of cooking, even though the main dishes are the same, the way they are cooked varies a lot.
I love all kinds of it, even though I'm north Indian I love cuisines from all over the country.