U2 vs all other bands... where will they rank in the end? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Kind of unrelated, but interesting (found it 5 minutes ago):

[innnnte-res-ting! ]

[I LOVE Radiohead, by the way... LOVE!]

Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #47
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
I forgot to say that I agree with Zoomerang, threads like these are crappy.
You and Zoomerang can cry me a river. What's so bad about a thread that sparks a bit of debate. Like it or not people here have been pretty open minded. I'd like to think the average U2 fan has the common sense and intelligence to look at this with some perspective. But it doesn't really matter because both you and Zoomerang felt commpelled to take a peak at this thread as well as contribute to it, so your crappy comment comes off a bit weak. I mean the title had crap written all over it right, so why bother? Seriously if you don't like it just let it be.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by chiso
Kind of unrelated, but interesting (found it 5 minutes ago):

[innnnte-res-ting! ]

[I LOVE Radiohead, by the way... LOVE!]

<------------- Thats the best magazine ever

and its around the time of OK computer
Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

you really don't get it do you.

music is more than numbers. do you listen to music, or read charts?
I get it in that I understand what this thread is about. In discussing the biggest bands of all time, numbers are a huge factor as well as critical praise and influence.

I don't want to drag this thread off topic, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination

I mean the title had crap written all over it right, so why bother? Seriously if you don't like it just let it be.

True. If you can read, you can pretty much tell if you're going to want to read or post in this thread.

I think what will hold U2 back in the influence part of this equation is that although they have influenced many bands, they haven't influenced any really huge ones.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #51
The Fly

honestly, I think Radiohead will go down as the most influencial band of these past 15 years.
I'm hesitant to say this, cos I gather the subject of radiohead/coldplay is beaten to death here

Still, The sound of contemporary music has been dramatically altered by Radioheads penchant for lush minor arrangements. There is nary a band today that doesn't seek to capitalize on the success of this sound.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Malone
honestly, I think Radiohead will go down as the most influencial band of these past 15 years.
I'm hesitant to say this, cos I gather the subject of radiohead/coldplay is beaten to death here

Still, The sound of contemporary music has been dramatically altered by Radioheads penchant for lush minor arrangements. There is nary a band today that doesn't seek to capitalize on the success of this sound.
I might be wrong here but wouldn't it be safe to say that Radiohead likely took from Achtung Baby, Zooropa and even the Passengers album? Also could it be that these lush minor arrangements were a part of U2 long before Radiohead was even around?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #53
The Fly

yes, There have been since pink floyd

but to say that Street Spirit or Paranoid Android are anything like u2 or floyd would probably be a mistake
there is unquestionably a 'radiohead sound'

honestly, I think they may be reaching their peak. I get the feeling they may soon start self-parodying themselves. Which is no place a band wants to be in.
I just wish they'd drop the politics
Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I don't feel like debating. yes U2 influenced radiohead, but those are albums are not the reason why OKC and KID A exist. Radiohead have even said they hate achtung baby.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #55
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
Radiohead have even said they hate achtung baby.
sounds like an urban legend to me. have a link?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
I don't feel like debating. yes U2 influenced radiohead, but those are albums are not the reason why OKC and KID A exist. Radiohead have even said they hate achtung baby.
Why would they hate Achtung Baby? I agree with Malone. That's gotta be an urban legend No doubt there is a distinct Radiohead sound the same way there is a disinct U2 sound. That's what makes great bands great in my opinion. It's the ability to have a distinct sound all their own without being a cliche of themselves. I also agree that Radiohead seems to be losing it a bit. I know I'll get blasted for this but I think they've gone downhill ever since O.k. Computer. To me they are becoming band who's living of the reputation they gained when they used to write songs. Or at least when they used to write songs that embraced melody. Radiohead and Peral Jam are similar in that aspect. Both bands seem to strive to not be popular anymore. Though Pear Jam in my opinion has managed to do that while still making great albums as compared to Radioheads good albums post O.k. Computer.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I have a magazine I'll see if I can scan it. You may also find some quotes online by Jonny saying he hates achtung baby, and prefers U2's earlier work.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #58
The Fly

ah, yes. It seems as though he did say that in 1993. That was over 10 years ago, though. Radiohead were just starting out and a lot of people were throwing around "next U2" and such bullshit

probably typical backlash against that kind of hype

I doubt he would say the same now
Old 03-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Malone
ah, yes. It seems as though he did say that in 1993. That was over 10 years ago, though. Radiohead were just starting out and a lot of people were throwing around "next U2" and such bullshit

probably typical backlash against that kind of hype

I doubt he would say the same now
achtung baby is a great fucking album
but I don't buy the idea that OK computer and kid A owe their livelihood to achtung baby and zooropa. OKC and kid A is radiohead being radiohead
Old 03-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination

Why would they hate Achtung Baby? I agree with Malone. That's gotta be an urban legend No doubt there is a distinct Radiohead sound the same way there is a disinct U2 sound. That's what makes great bands great in my opinion. It's the ability to have a distinct sound all their own without being a cliche of themselves. I also agree that Radiohead seems to be losing it a bit. I know I'll get blasted for this but I think they've gone downhill ever since O.k. Computer. To me they are becoming band who's living of the reputation they gained when they used to write songs. Or at least when they used to write songs that embraced melody. Radiohead and Peral Jam are similar in that aspect. Both bands seem to strive to not be popular anymore. Though Pear Jam in my opinion has managed to do that while still making great albums as compared to Radioheads good albums post O.k. Computer.

thats your opinion and I respect It. I however think that Kid A> OKC. I find that their work post OKC is way better than their earlier work