u2 v.s radiohead who do u think will win?(musically speaking) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2002, 12:17 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:39 PM
well, phil's an educated musician...he played in pit bands, etc. and can swing (pyramid song).
larry...well, I just don't know how he came up with parts like those on unforgettable fire. and live, he's definitly holding it all together.
yes, phil lays it down live too.
they are both beutiful drummers......and a great drummer is a rare commodity.

Old 06-25-2002, 11:10 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 09:39 AM
I have a live video (.mpeg) of Radiohead performing Paranoid Android in 1998 at a festival... Phil's drumming is absolutely amazing. I mean, it's hard to even put it into words. This could also be backed up by another video I downloaded, Radiohead performing Idioteque on SNL. The climax of the entire song is made up by Phil's frantic drumming. But then again, this is all not written to put Larry down. I think he gives U2 what they need; the rhythm section definitely supports Bono + Edge throughout every song.

1. vocals: Bono.

2. lyrics: Thom - I don't have that much of an idea what he's singing about when he talks about being hungry for lichen. But I do know what he's talking about on The Bends or OK Computer. Those two albums are enough to make him a lyrical genius, perhaps even more than Bono.

3. guitar: Jonny.

4. bass: Adam.

5. drums: Phil.

6. live show: N/A.

7. frontman performance: N/A.

8. fanbase: U2 - U2 fans are so nice, they make everyone else look bad.

9. album: OK Computer.

10. popularity: With critics? With fans? With album sales?

Old 06-26-2002, 12:08 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
I'm just gonna say a couple things.

Thom write the kind of lyrics that you need to be in certain moods for. They're not generally accessible and they generally don't relate to my life. I'm sure theres some hidden meaning behind "Squash the mouse" but I can't find it. I still love that song though, it gives me chills whever I hear the first chord(even though its basically PA redone!!)

Death Bear:
Don't write Edge off!!! Just because Johnny makes weird noises and such doesn't mean hes better. Hes doing what every other UK band has done with guitar. The Smiths were not far off his style sometimes even in the 80's.

Edge on the other hand has simply created a different style of guitar-playing. nobody came close to it before and nobody has touched it since. Its edges trademark and Guitar World magazine realized this when they were placing him in the top 100 best guitarists OF ALL TIME!! they didn't know what category to put him in so they put him under Free Radicals with Lou Reed and Thuston moore(Sonic Youth).

heres some of what they said:
Few players have done more than u2's the edge to define the post modern guitar style. The Edge showed how textures and rhythms, rather than riffs or chord progressions, could provide the main guitar interest in a song. A master of contrast, he often juxtaposed scratchy rhythms against ringing open chords that resonate with celtic grandeur

and it goes on and on....

Let me just see what they say about Johnny:
..oops...he's not in here....

I don't completely agree. I think Johnny is better than a few of the people they have listed here, he has influenced my guitar style to some extent as well. BUT he has not done much new with guitar. Don't let the obsure songs and weird sounds trick you, its nothing new.
Now using what he used on the Kid A/Amnesiac tour...THAT'S NEW!! but it ain't no guitar
Old 06-26-2002, 12:55 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:39 AM
ok basstrap, i agree with everything you had to say about edge. im sorry i appeared to cut him short, but i was only comparing him to jonny.

now what you quoted as some crazy list or whatever, means absolutely nothing. cause if it did, then we could pull out hundreds of other top 100 greatest guitarists, and hed be in there. and hed place pretty high too, might i add.

he hasnt done anything new with the guitar? its all been done before?

im not even going to dignify that with a proper response. clearly this issue is hopeless with you.

but again, im sorry if i appeared to slag u2 at all.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:19 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:39 AM
the wonderbra loves his mullet

i think the most important category truly is who out of Thom and Bono has the best mullet?
Old 06-26-2002, 01:23 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Zoomerang, its not a hopeless case; I've been known to admit defeat before I just need a reply from you. I like debates, they feed me.

I love Johnny's work to death! I mean his use of minor and melodic leads is deadly!
From the first moment I heard Creep and saw the live video with Johnny's hands moving a mile a minute I was hooked on radiohead. They're gems.
But the question for me is did Johnny create something new? Did he do something that hasn't been done before? You can look to technical skill and maybe Johnny would have "the edge"...though its hard to say, johnny, like edge, seems not to believe in showing off too much with huge solos and such...but the main thing that makes a guitar player better than another is his innovativness. Otherwise we'd both have to concede that Eddie Van Halen kicks the asses of both Edge and Johnny combined!

Actually I'm beginning to ruin my argument...who can deny that Johnny is innovative and genius? I guess he has kind of defined an era or a genre of rock. At least he modified it. Without Radiohead would there be Travis, Coldplay, Doves, etc??
But their style is not completely new...its modified. Its a modern Pink Floyd, it The Smiths revisited,

so I guess now the question has become...who is more innovative with guitar: Johnny or Edge? That makes the question a little harder!!

It almost seems that in the time I've begun writing this to the end I've backtracked and now stand indecisive.
Perhaps...but I still say edge for reasons mentioned yesterdays post.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:03 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:39 AM
alright basstrap, thats more like it. i see exactly what your saying with all that, and it makes sense.

i dunno, i guess now ill just say personally i find jonny to be better. personal opinion is all.

cool stuff.

good thread, really.

Tags
radiohead