tornado terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:
Angela and your sister :hug: I'm sure you were terrified and it's something you'll both always remember and tell about when you're old ladies many years from now.

LOL, yep.

As for staying safe...heh, don't worry, I intend on doing so. The nice thing about my family is that we always seem to pick towns to live in where the really bad stuff usually misses us. We've gotten some pretty nasty storms, obviously, but the absolute worst of the storms has tended to avoid us.

Which is totally fine with me. I'm not gonna complain about that kind of luck.

Angela

I hope you never get another tornado! You've had more than your share!

Q

How amazing- I didn't realise that you got tornados in winter, very intense!!!!! I have always thought that I would love to see a tornado, I wouldn't really like to have one go over the top of me, but I would love to see one of those funnels forming but then again I am a bit of a weather nut and love storms. Recently I was in the most ferocious storm that I have ever experienced, for most of January and February where I live has had some very hot and extrememly humid weather and about two weeks ago we had a week of severe storms every day. Where I am living at the moment is in the hinterland of the Sunshine coast, so there are mountains around and I am on 2 acres with heaps of trees about. This storm that came through ripped heaps of trees out of the ground- one crashed onto my house, my driveway was blocked in three spots by fallen trees. It was a good storm, but very ferocious and then the next night we had elecrical storms and the entire night was like visual fireworks- lightning everywhere- was very nice.

stay safe all:wink:

Re: Q

OzAurora said:
How amazing- I didn't realise that you got tornados in winter, very intense!!!!!

Yeah, the southern U.S. can still see tornadoes during this time of the year-they can still have some pretty nasty outbreaks, too. It's highly unlikely for people in the northern states to see a tornado during the winter, but it can and has happened on some rare occasions.

Originally posted by OzAurora
I have always thought that I would love to see a tornado, I wouldn't really like to have one go over the top of me, but I would love to see one of those funnels forming

You do that. I'll be down in the basement. Let me know how it went. ;) :p.

but then again I am a bit of a weather nut and love storms.

I love learning about them, like I said. My dad told me earlier about this meeting being held in the first week of April dealing with weather-they'll have people from the National Weather Service come in, and local meteorologists and stuff, and it does sound rather interesting-I might go check it out.

Yeah, learning about them is fascinating. Experiencing them first-hand is a whole other story.

Recently I was in the most ferocious storm that I have ever experienced, for most of January and February where I live has had some very hot and extrememly humid weather and about two weeks ago we had a week of severe storms every day. Where I am living at the moment is in the hinterland of the Sunshine coast, so there are mountains around and I am on 2 acres with heaps of trees about. This storm that came through ripped heaps of trees out of the ground- one crashed onto my house, my driveway was blocked in three spots by fallen trees. It was a good storm, but very ferocious and then the next night we had elecrical storms and the entire night was like visual fireworks- lightning everywhere- was very nice.

:ohmy:. Wow. Freaky (a tree crashed onto your house? Yeowza. Any major damage done?).

Angela

Re: Re: Q

Moonlit_Angel said:

I love learning about them, like I said. My dad told me earlier about this meeting being held in the first week of April dealing with weather-they'll have people from the National Weather Service come in, and local meteorologists and stuff, and it does sound rather interesting-I might go check it out.

Yeah, do go! A few years back I went to a meeting/lecture at a local university and got certified as a local weather spotter (I can't even remember who did it, the NWS or NOAA probably). You just go through a bunch of info with people from the NWS and some local weathermen for about 3 hours. You can ask questions too. A lot of weather buffs go to talk about their various gadgets they use, but I just wanted the certification to be a local spotter. Basically, what you're suppose to do is report the weather under-the-radar, meaning stuff like low rotation, mesocyclones (my FAVORITE hehe), funnel clouds, tornadoes, large hail - the stuff that happens below the radius of our Dopplers.

One of the bio teachers at my high school found out and gave me permission to roam freely during severe weather (when the rest of the school has to squat in the basement hallways) :macdevil:

Do you have any cool storm pics? I have a few that I should scan. Is there any cool weather phenomena you're looking forward to seeing? I had a list of four, let's see if I can remember....

a halo (the circular rainbow around the sun)
halo.jpg

Kelvin-Helmholtz waves (VERY rare, usually at high altitude, which is nowhere I've ever been!)
khwavephoto-opt2.jpg

a green flash (the green burst above some sunsets, appears for a fraction of a second)
green-flash-closeup.jpg

a cumulonimbus incus with a mesocyclone, overshooting top, mammatus clouds - the works!
mesocyclone.jpg

^ MESOCYCLONE!!! (huge rotating section that drops below the base of the cloud)

mm2.gif

^mammatus (underside of anvil)

lilovershootingtop.jpg

^overshooting top (pokes into the stratosphere)

So far, I've only seen the halo. I've been in some great severe storms, but when you're in them, you don't get to see the features :( And once I saw iridescence (up on the cirrus clouds at high altitude or COLD weather):
image000771.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Q

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yeah, do go! A few years back I went to a meeting/lecture at a local university and got certified as a local weather spotter (I can't even remember who did it, the NWS or NOAA probably). You just go through a bunch of info with people from the NWS and some local weathermen for about 3 hours. You can ask questions too. A lot of weather buffs go to talk about their various gadgets they use, but I just wanted the certification to be a local spotter. Basically, what you're suppose to do is report the weather under-the-radar, meaning stuff like low rotation, mesocyclones (my FAVORITE hehe), funnel clouds, tornadoes, large hail - the stuff that happens below the radius of our Dopplers.

One of the bio teachers at my high school found out and gave me permission to roam freely during severe weather (when the rest of the school has to squat in the basement hallways) :macdevil:

Wow, that's really cool! Congrats on getting the certificate, too. :).

I think I will go. It'd be really cool to get involved in that kind of thing, hear what all they have to say.

Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Do you have any cool storm pics? I have a few that I should scan. Is there any cool weather phenomena you're looking forward to seeing? I had a list of four, let's see if I can remember....

I don't have any weather pictures myself, no. I never really think to take pictures of the weather that's occuring. But maybe I will sometime.

I've seen a lot of fascinating pictures of various weather phenomena, though. Like this picture:

Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
lilovershootingtop.jpg

^overshooting top (pokes into the stratosphere)

That's an incredible picture. Seeing the way the clouds are forming and everything...wow. It reminds me of when my mom, sister, and I were coming back from our visit to California a few years back. We'd flown around a thunderstorm, and I got to see the thunderclouds shaping up and the lightning going and everything. It would've been even more interesting if our plane hadn't been shaking because of the turbulence involved with flying around the storm, though...:p. But yeah, that's what that picture reminds me of.

The rest of those pictures are awesome, too. I'd never really seen that whole thing with the green burst before-that's interesting.

Angela

Re: Re: Re: Re: Q

Moonlit_Angel said:

That's an incredible picture. Seeing the way the clouds are forming and everything...wow.

That overshooting top is cool b/c is pokes through the stratosphere, like the cloud is actually poking into space! On a satellite image, they look like little lumps sitting on top of the rest of the white cloud space.

Back
Top Bottom