The Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season MLB Thread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:26 PM
What high priced veterans did the Mets trade away? Over the past 2 offseason they were very Yankee-esque in signing big free agent deals.

And there aren't many teams that would be willing to take on the contracts of the Yankees players, so it would be quite hard for them to get any good young players in return.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

My comparison with the Mets was in regards to the contract signings - three years ago who did the Mets have (this is an honest question, I never followed baseball before last season)?

Do the Yankees have much in the way of prospects in their farm system? You never hear much about AAA- and AA-baseball up in Canada, we only have a couple teams here and they're all out west.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
Reports out today that Torre is going to keep his job.

Discuss.
He's only got one year left on his contract. It's obviously good for Torre because he's not going to quit with $7 million on the table, and it's good for the Yankees because they look good giving Torre another chance to get a championship, and if that doesn't happen, they can part ways mutually when the contract runs out, and nobody is technically "fired" (so Georgie doesn't look like he's doing things too hasty like he has in the past).

And it's good for the Red Sox...
Old 10-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #274
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
What high priced veterans did the Mets trade away? Over the past 2 offseason they were very Yankee-esque in signing big free agent deals.
slow down...

the mets are similar to the yankees in what they've done the past two seasons, yes. this is true. but not this yankee team... not the bronx zoo you see before you. the mets signings have been similar to the yankees of the mid 90's. the core of this mets team for now and the foreseeable future are david wright and jose reyes, home grown talent, with a slew of young pitching prospects waiting in the wings. they surrounded this young talent with the high priced vet's (although you could hardley call 27 year old carlos beltran a "vet")... much in the same way st. louis surrounded young stud albert pujols with big names like scott rolen, chris carpenter, mark mulder, jason isringhausen, etc.

both the mets and cardinals, and the red sox before them, have built a team. the yankees just collect talent.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #275
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: The Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season MLB Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
Make your predictions known... DO IT!! DO IT NOW!!!

[beginseriouspicks]
ALDS
Yankees over Tigers in 3
Twins over A's in 4

NLDS
Mets over Dodgers in 4
Cardinals over Padres in 5

ALCS
Yankees over Twins in 6

NLCS
Mets over Cardinals in 6
[/endseriouspicks]

[beginwishfulthinking]
World Series
Mets over Yankees in 7
[/endwishfulthinking]
alright so i was on with the NL, off with the AL...

the AL was a bit more surprising... not a shock that the a's won, a bit surprising that the twins just rolled over... the yankees-tigers, well... that's just too good to even discuss anymore.

the NL was easy enough... anyone who's watched the NL all season could have seen that the NL West was dog shit with inflated records due to playing crappy teams like the rockies and diamondbacks.

at least in the East and Central ya had the phillies, marlins, astros and reds to give the mets and cards a tougher run of it.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #276
Blue Crack Distributor

Tonight...
Old 10-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

you're more than welcome to do whatever you'd like, of course... but you're not going to get many met fans to embrace someone who roots for the yankees, first. you may have been living in new york for 5 years, but if you believe that would happen, you must have been living under a rock.

met fans have as much dislike and hatred for the yankees as red sox fans do.

well... maybe not that much

but it's close
It all depends on how seriously you care about baseball... I'm more of a very "casual" fan...

Ok, if I buy a Mets cap, will you allow me to bandwagon?

(offtopic, congrats on the U2 by U2 signing experience, very impressed... I am buying the book today).
Old 10-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

im just glad the mets have a normal ballpark

roof + hill and flag pole in center field + choo choo train + cheap 200 ft fence in left field + buzzing noises after every hit = most annoying baseball games ever
Old 10-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #279
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
im just glad the mets have a normal ballpark

roof + hill and flag pole in center field + choo choo train + cheap 200 ft fence in left field + buzzing noises after every hit = most annoying baseball games ever
we just have plane exhaust, cheesey apples and bad hair piece beer guy

Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

slow down...

the mets are similar to the yankees in what they've done the past two seasons, yes. this is true. but not this yankee team... not the bronx zoo you see before you. the mets signings have been similar to the yankees of the mid 90's. the core of this mets team for now and the foreseeable future are david wright and jose reyes, home grown talent, with a slew of young pitching prospects waiting in the wings. they surrounded this young talent with the high priced vet's (although you could hardley call 27 year old carlos beltran a "vet")... much in the same way st. louis surrounded young stud albert pujols with big names like scott rolen, chris carpenter, mark mulder, jason isringhausen, etc.

both the mets and cardinals, and the red sox before them, have built a team. the yankees just collect talent.
Very valid points. While the Mets have certainly been big shoppers the past 2 offseasons, they've also developed from within at the same time. Reyes and Wright are simlar to Jeter and B Williams a decade ago, Milledge may end up a quality major leaguer (or he may be found naked, duct taped to the foul pole and a basket case who never plays again), and the Mets have some very good pitching prospects, as evidenced by their ability to continue to dominate the NL while Pedro fell apart and Glavine missed time and now easily ovecame 87 year old El Duque's fall at the nursing home on the way to practice in the NLDS.

The Mets appear set for a run of success for several seasons, one major issue being will Pedro ever return, if not they need to fill that void, but the rest of the team should be in reasonable shape for a few seasons.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #281
Blue Crack Distributor

with a new stadium in the works that is to be funded almost entirely by the mets themselves, they need the team to stay competitive up through the opening in 2009.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life

bad hair piece guy rules.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #283
Blue Crack Distributor

everyone who's ever been to a game at shea has seen bad hair piece beer guy, yet i'm the first to give him a name.

i should get an award.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #284
Blue Crack Distributor

:cookie:

Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #285
Blue Crack Distributor

i keep getting a red x so i saved bad hair piece beer man picture and put it on my own site