The Temple Bar - Zoots Don't Get It On Wit' No Skank ... UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For you older posters: do you remember when Mr. Snuffleupagus on Sesame Street was Big Birds imaginary friend?

I was watching Sesame Street with my daughter earlier tonight and everyone was talking to Snuffy. I was shocked. I said so to my wife and she called me an idiot (not uncommon or inaccurate). But I know I'm right. It used to be that only Big Bird could see him. Right?

You're VERY correct.

Wait. Couldn't kids see him, but, adults always seemed to be unable?
wikipedia's a great help:
"For many years, Big Bird was the only character on the show who saw him since his introduction in 1971. The main adult characters teased Big Bird when he said he had seen the Snuffleupagus, because they did not believe there was such an animal, often despite evidence to the contrary ... This running gag ended with the November 18, 1985 episode of Sesame Street, which was also episode 2096 and the 17th season premiere, when the adults finally met Snuffy."

ha!

I have no idea what context this Snuffy stuff is coming from, but I remember watching that episode. :eek:ld: :)

I just registered for a 10k walk on Saturday (MM signed up for the 60k bike that's the same day, I just followed suit), and have ten more pages to read for class tomorrow that I'll finish at lunch or before class tomorrow night, after which I'm meeting MM for a fundraiser at a bar for his team.

I need an IV full of coffee starting around 7am tomorrow... Thx, bai.

Guys, I don't think yolland likes you. She doesn't like me because I think everyone in FYM are narcissistic idiots.
I don't dislike anyone on Interference. I really don't. There are a couple individuals who make me want to smash my unduly large head through the monitor on a semiregular basis (probably not anyone you'd guess--I have weird taste in nemeses), but no one I lastingly dislike. What does bother me is the habit of reducing individuals to their worst tendency, whatever that might be. But I'll grant that election season certainly spotlights those like nothing else. :sigh:

IIRC part of the reason they made the adults see Snuffy was to do with helping children to report child abuse (indirect connection of course) - they wanted to show that children could tell adults something and be believed, even if the adults didn't see it themselves (but of course to end the gag they actually had to have adults see Snuffy so they could apologize to Big Bird about the whole thing.)

I know I'm phrasing this awkwardly, but it's not even 7am ;)

**Nearly forgot - welcome back snow! :D

What does bother me is the habit of reducing individuals to their worst tendency, whatever that might be.

I completely agree with that. I can't tell you how many times I've come on here to have an intelligent conversation and all I hear is, "That Dalton is a phenomenal lover."

Sure, sure, we get it people. I'm great in the sack. But I'm MORE than just that.

The sides of my chair will be ripped to shreads because I am going to master Van Damme's moves to such a point that my strikes become like razors. Only then can I defeat Dalton's karate/gymnastics mixed madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom