The Temple Bar - This is how you start a thread, bitches - UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unico said:

nah. Beff hasn't signed on since she moved up to your hood........hmm...

What's up wit dat?

PFan, as I alluded to the other day, I used to be a little like you in that I argued a lot. A fucking lot. Sometimes it made me feel better, sometimes not, but it was almost reflex. Sometime after HS but before finishing College, I realzied that it was getting too mentally fatiguing for me. I slowly...very slowly....started to argue less and less....that instinct is still alive inside of me, but, I pick my spots fairly well these days.

And, when I say cathartic, I do not necessarily mean that I write about a problem, and the problem is solved, I just mean that getting it out is a bit cleansing. Some of the very issues I'd argue about I'd also write about....this way, I'd have an emotional response, but I'd also have a more measured, clinical response as well.

It's not easy to be expected to handle yourself in a certain manner when you have such a tidal wave of feelings and emotions flowing inside of you....writing has always helped me out a bit with it all, though.

No spoken words said:
Ever go into fan fiction, just for kicks? Don't.

Fan fiction involving real life people is always dicey.

I like to read the stuff on this site to feel better about my own writing skills.

I'm watching About a Boy. And it feels great!

No spoken words said:
PFan, as I alluded to the other day, I used to be a little like you in that I argued a lot. A fucking lot. Sometimes it made me feel better, sometimes not, but it was almost reflex. Sometime after HS but before finishing College, I realzied that it was getting too mentally fatiguing for me. I slowly...very slowly....started to argue less and less....that instinct is still alive inside of me, but, I pick my spots fairly well these days.

And, when I say cathartic, I do not necessarily mean that I write about a problem, and the problem is solved, I just mean that getting it out is a bit cleansing. Some of the very issues I'd argue about I'd also write about....this way, I'd have an emotional response, but I'd also have a more measured, clinical response as well.

It's not easy to be expected to handle yourself in a certain manner when you have such a tidal wave of feelings and emotions flowing inside of you....writing has always helped me out a bit with it all, though.

Yeah, I didn't think you meant that by cathartic. I meant more about the cleansing. I meant I don't feel like writing about it has helped me out much.

For the arguing, I just hate the idea of telling people to shut up. I always admit when I've done something wrong, but I always want people to know where I'm coming from. I think perspective is very important in understanding people and situations, and I get the most frustrated when perspective is ignored. I don't like being told why I did something or why I feel a certain way. I know what I'm doing. For example, I've always wanted to go see a psychologist just to test it out for fun, but I secretly know that it would end in my arguing and defending myself when the psychologist tries to make observations. I'd dispute everyone, I'm sure. I come off as someone with very set in stone beliefs, but it's not my beliefs that are usually set in stone as much as it is my faith in my own thought processes and reasoning. I like the way my mind processes information and draws conclusions. That's the one thing I don't want to alter. And, in that sense, I think that's the only thing that gets me angry: something that I feel is an attack on my thought process.

No spoken words said:
About a Boy is fantastic.

It counts as a Christmas movie because Will's dad wrote that song "Santa's Super Sleigh."

So yeah. I'm watching a Christmas movie.

phillyfan26 said:

Yeah, I didn't think you meant that by cathartic. I meant more about the cleansing. I meant I don't feel like writing about it has helped me out much.

For the arguing, I just hate the idea of telling people to shut up. I always admit when I've done something wrong, but I always want people to know where I'm coming from. I think perspective is very important in understanding people and situations, and I get the most frustrated when perspective is ignored. I don't like being told why I did something or why I feel a certain way. I know what I'm doing. For example, I've always wanted to go see a psychologist just to test it out for fun, but I secretly know that it would end in my arguing and defending myself when the psychologist tries to make observations. I'd dispute everyone, I'm sure. I come off as someone with very set in stone beliefs, but it's not my beliefs that are usually set in stone as much as it is my faith in my own thought processes and reasoning. I like the way my mind processes information and draws conclusions. That's the one thing I don't want to alter. And, in that sense, I think that's the only thing that gets me angry: something that I feel is an attack on my thought process.

I understand, and while I could reply in full, I'll just say that I totally know where you're coming from......very much so.....and the slight advice I'd give you would be to be sure that you are also always listening. Always listening. You'll tell me that you do, but, still.....make sure you're really listening. And, in real life, telling people to shut up is a bad idea, agreed.

No spoken words said:
I understand, and while I could reply in full, I'll just say that I totally know where you're coming from......very much so.....and the slight advice I'd give you would be to be sure that you are also always listening. Always listening. You'll tell me that you do, but, still.....make sure you're really listening. And, in real life, telling people to shut up is a bad idea, agreed.

I absolutely think that's sound advice, and I agree. In general, I think listening and clarity are two things that everyone can always do better with.

No spoken words said:

tidal wave of feelings and emotions flowing inside of you....

nonononono the tidal wave is supposed to be outside and oncoming.

Merry Christmas Delilah :)

There is a local band here and I need to get their holiday CD to annoy you all with - their version of Feliz Navidad is Police Nabbed my Dad. It's actually quite good.

agreed (despite my initial reaction not to) about a boy is good.

who is beff? is she from here? can we set them up? someone needs to start 2008 of with some action.

why the lack of spirit cori?
I was like that the last two yrs but am a bit better this year. not the total rah rah rah yet, but definetly better.

snowbunny00774 said:
who is beff? is she from here? can we set them up? someone needs to start 2008 of with some action.

why the lack of spirit cori?
I was like that the last two yrs but am a bit better this year. not the total rah rah rah yet, but definetly better.

I just got out of something, go fix yourself up, I'm uninterested....and, oh, Beff or anyone else who is sane be uninterested as well, there's always that.

I'm not understanding the last bit, but why would I put myself through all that nonsense when I can just live vicariously? see....win win. well maybe not, but it's a win for me :)

I need to lose more weight so I can dress more audrey hepburn. I also need to lose my phobia of skirts. maybe that will happen with the weight. /random influenced by what not to wear.

No spoken words said:
The last bit? Where I say that anyone sane would be uninterested in dating me? What's to understand?

i thought that was what you meant but it was worded weirdly. not really but it read weirdly.

and who wants sane anyway? it's over rated, a little off the wall is way more interesting :)

snowbunny00774 said:

i thought that was what you meant but it was worded weirdly. not really but it read weirdly.

and who wants sane anyway? it's over rated, a little off the wall is way more interesting :)

True, I don't seek out sanity....well, I don't seek anything, but, too sane does not mix well with me....and, yes, it was missing one word, so it was not worded as well as it could have been.

snowbunny00774 said:

i'm workin on it. he rang her when we were at the pizza place. i think they got on quite nicely. this month she left vt for good and has moved to the midwest. and may be getting a job offer in a suburb not too far from him.

:drool: action

Back
Top Bottom