The Temple Bar, METAL UP YOUR FUCKING ASS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UberBeaver said:

Uhhh bovine sex? Details/Pics please.

Didn't Gretzky play in Edmonton?

It's a punk bar. One guy that was with us was all into the punk scene. :lol:

Yeah, he started out in Edmonton. He opened a restaurant/sports bar in Toronto, not far from Skydome (Rogers Center now, Headache...happy? :angry: )

UberBeaver said:

Didn't Gretzky play in Edmonton?

National Hero - didn't matter where he played...
I :love: that patio.

lizgretzkys.jpg

Last edited:
snowbunny00774 said:
How was the bovine - I've always wanted to go there and always forget when I'm there. It's hard to actually end up where you intend going cos all the little bars on the way distract you :distractedeasily:

If I'm remembering the right one, it was downstairs, dark, small and cramped, with a lot of punk-ish people.

It's funny, you hear about all these legendary Toronto bars, then you go to them, and they're generally kind of run-down and not what you expected, but the atmosphere's great. I found that with The Horseshoe, too.

I'm easily distracted, too. :shifty:

VintagePunk said:

If I'm remembering the right one, it was downstairs, dark, small and cramped, with a lot of punk-ish people.

It's funny, you hear about all these legendary Toronto bars, then you go to them, and they're generally kind of run-down and not what you expected, but the atmosphere's great. I found that with The Horseshoe, too.

I'm easily distracted, too. :shifty:

I'll get to check it out one day...yeah - so many are like that, luckily my standards run to atmosphere over shiningly clean lol

VintagePunk said:
It's funny, you hear about all these legendary Toronto bars, then you go to them, and they're generally kind of run-down and not what you expected, but the atmosphere's great.

I find that's true with most old cities. NY, Boston, Philly. You hear about places where they used to have all these shows and then you get there and it's a dive. I kinda like that, actually. It's sort of anti-cosumerism.

UberBeaver said:

I find that's true with most old cities. NY, Boston, Philly. You hear about places where they used to have all these shows and then you get there and it's a dive. I kinda like that, actually. It's sort of anti-cosumerism.

Exactly. Everyone who's anyone has played The Horseshoe - I'm fairly certain that even the Stones have played there (although when they're rehearsing/opening a tour, they generally play the El Macambo in Toronto...sells out in seconds). When I first walked in, it was tiny, the bar and tables and floors are all wooden and scuffed, it reeks of beer, the stage is tiny...so cool. :love:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ok, if I leave work now I can be in London by at least three, give or take holiday traffic. :shifty:

I wish! Damn school and being broke.

:sigh:

:lol:

You should leave after class on Sat...I can have the drinks all lined up!!

snowbunny00774 said:

:lmao: - I never even thought about that - you are my hero :love:

The one time I sorta-jokingly asked the waiter. He was all like " :rolleyes: yeah, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that..." and he literally did roll his eyes at me. I was all like "fucking Toronto snob..." :mad:

April, we're going to have to plan something like this for the summer. :drool:

Beav, Gretzky's from Brantford, where I live. Apparently, having a common home town to the restaurant owner does not entitle one to free drinks. :angry:

Ha - change of plans - we're going to VP's...make sure you use golden mushroom soup - I like it better that way :D

That pic from the patio was after a Sat Jays game...we didn't annoy them at all :whistle: They could really stand to work on the friendliness there lol.

I have found about 5 different recipes online, all with slight variations, and I'm not sure which one to try. :scream: Some have spices, some don't. Some are with soup, like you said, some are just with water in the roasting pan. :confused: The ones I've had were made at local Hungarian/Polish/Ukrainian halls. One of the women who cooks for the Ukrainian hall is my mom's new neighbour...I asked my mom to ask her for the recipe, but I'm betting she won't give it up. :angry:

:hmm:

I make it -

Roll skwers in egg/milk, then breadcrumbs, seasoned if you like. pan fry till crumbs are golden, remove. Layer in roasting pan w/ small amount of water and put dollops of that soup (not the plain soup) over it. Reapply soup if needed and leave in the oven for hours. Sooooo good...

VintagePunk said:
I have found about 5 different recipes online, all with slight variations, and I'm not sure which one to try. :scream: Some have spices, some don't. Some are with soup, like you said, some are just with water in the roasting pan. :confused: The ones I've had were made at local Hungarian/Polish/Ukrainian halls. One of the women who cooks for the Ukrainian hall is my mom's new neighbour...I asked my mom to ask her for the recipe, but I'm betting she won't give it up. :angry:

One of the woman from that Ukrainian hall makes cabbage rolls and perogies for me. I love her :D She is my Brantford friends grandmother :heart:

What kind of seasonings do you use? Also, do you put the skewers right in the water? Some of the recipes I've seen suggest putting celery in the pan, and a bit of water...I'm assuming so that the meat isn't actually in the water, it's resting on the celery, so that they only get steamed??

VintagePunk said:
What kind of seasonings do you use? Also, do you put the skewers right in the water? Some of the recipes I've seen suggest putting celery in the pan, and a bit of water...I'm assuming so that the meat isn't actually in the water, it's resting on the celery, so that they only get steamed??

I actually cheat and use the Italian seasoned breadcrumbs from the store - I make huge batches and there is no way I'm making the crumbs myself esp. if I've had to thread the meat too. Those breadcrumbs are just enough seasoning - anything more and I think it takes away from the whole thing. You already have two types of meat - minimal seasoning needed. Also, when I shallow fry, I do 5 or 6 at a time and roll the skewers every minute or so - it is just a light browning needed, so 4 mins is enough. I use carrots and parsnips for the support instead of celery, and the water just covers these. The steam helps cook the meat - topping up is sometimes needed. I would def. use the soup too...and after it is done what you have left in the pan is an awesome gravy type liquid and cooked veggies that are more useful than celery :drool:

Back
Top Bottom