The Temple Bar - Hoegaarden FTW & UYMFA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ONLY local theater showing it is the King of Prussia theater.

Now, for those of you not familiar with JOP or malls, King of Prussia is home the world's third largest shopping mall. The traffic is what you would call pure insanity, and I'm not sure my parents would let me go.

However, I fucking want to see this. Have to figure out how to ask the 'rents.

I'm going tomorrow night to see the U2 thing, with a good friend of mine who's also a hyper U2 fan. It'll be fun - we're having dinner and drinks before hand.

:hyper:

I might go on Saturday night as well, so I can see if I can meet some fellow local U2 fans through the @U2 party, but I might end up passing.

I went to their HTDAAB release party and it was kind of a weird vibe ... people just hung out with the people they'd come with, so it wasn't as mingly as I might have hoped. This party is at a nearby place that has a bar, tons of pool tables and other games. I wouldn't mind going, but would be pissed off if it's the same vibe there.

I'm actually kind of shy if I'm around people I don't know well. While I say I want to meet people, I'm not so great at walking up to strangers and trying to play "get to know me!"

I have a hard time talking to strangers if I'm in a social setting where it's expected. However, if I'm on a train, or in a store, etc...I'm perfectly able and sometimes willing to strike up a conversation with someone out of the blue.

I do not know if that makes sense or not, sorry.

It depends on the situation, but yes. Sometimes I'm a little shy.

Usually when I tell that to people I know in "real life," they laugh. :grumpy:

I do much better around people I know, even if it's people I've just talked to online. At least in those cases I know we have at least one thing in common, and can always set our default conversation to that.

"So. U2 is pretty awesome, yeah?"

"Yep."

: awkward silence resumes :

ThoraSEB said:

I had thought about coming to Seattle this weekend, but there's just too much other stuff going on to make that work.

Poo.

See, I met you once - I could talk to you! :wink:

I'm usually the most awkward in situations where I know the person, and have known them for a while, but don't really have much to talk about with them.

Thanks. :) I'm on a huge Bowie kick right now. He and John Frusciante rock my fuckin' world.

No spoken words said:
I have a hard time talking to strangers if I'm in a social setting where it's expected. However, if I'm on a train, or in a store, etc...I'm perfectly able and sometimes willing to strike up a conversation with someone out of the blue.

I do not know if that makes sense or not, sorry.

That makes perfect sense to me. I hate settings in which you are expected to BE interesting.

My theory on small talk is this: It is better to be interested than interesting and better to be fun than funny.

If you think you are interesting, you are probably the douche that talks about yourself way to much. If you are interested, you will actually listen to and hear what other people have to say and share enough about yourself to actually make a connection.

Again, very few people are actually funny. I think the gift of funny is as rare as the gift of supermodel beauty. But, we don't have to be funny, all we have to be is fun. Are you the type of person who is looking to laugh in the moment. Do you laugh at what people say, do you laugh at situations, and most importantly do you laugh at yourself. If you do, then you people will probably enjoy being around you. Even if you aren't really interesting or funny.

When meeting new people, I just try to make a connection and have a good time.

Dalton said:

That makes perfect sense to me. I hate settings in which you are expected to BE interesting.

My theory on small talk is this: It is better to be interested than interesting and better to be fun than funny.

If you think you are interesting, you are probably the douche that talks about yourself way to much. If you are interested, you will actually listen to and hear what other people have to say and share enough about yourself to actually make a connection.

Again, very few people are actually funny. I think the gift of funny is as rare as the gift of supermodel beauty. But, we don't have to be funny, all we have to be is fun. Are you the type of person who is looking to laugh in the moment. Do you laugh at what people say, do you laugh at situations, and most importantly do you laugh at yourself. If you do, then you people will probably enjoy being around you. Even if you aren't really interesting or funny.

When meeting new people, I just try to make a connection and have a good time.

I've met a few freaks from this site....from this very Bar, actually....you can ask them about what a dork I am in person.

And, I am with you on being able to laugh at yourself.

BTW - that wasn't supposed to be a lesson for you all.

My little sister is trying to come out of her shell and asked me the other day, how she can improve on interacting with people she doesn't know.

That's the best I could come up with.

I probably could have come up with something better if I had gone to college.

Back
Top Bottom