The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not lose sight of who the real loser is here.

mlb_a_ljames_195.jpg

Well, at least the Yanks found a way to lose. That's always nice. I was rooting for Chicago, but I guess the Sox will have to do.

From ESPN.com:

If Joe Torre has managed his last game for the Yankees, he leaves a mixed legacy. He won it all in four of his first five years. His teams in the last seven seasons averaged more wins in the regular season but flamed out in the playoffs -- including three straight first-round losses.

Apparently four titles and an average of 98 wins per year over 12 years constitute a "mixed legacy". Wow.

The Phillies let me down, I called every other series, although it would have been awesome to have 4 sweeps, particularly because the last one to go down would be the Yanks, but this was fine too.

It's one hting to want to see the rivalry keep going, but this year Cleveland's pitching gives the Red Sox a much stronger battle, whereas the regular season Yankees batters have a lot more clout, and after three Sox/Yankees ALCS in what like 6 years (8 now) including two ridiculously weird and drawn out 7 game series, its time for a new foe. It comes down to which do you prefer watching at the moment, futility (ala the Yanks in April/May, and the past week) or nail-biting rilvary. Now that I think about it, it is always a lot of fun, but stressful even though you're not really involved haha.

See ya next year Yankees, hopefully still with Joe Torre, and A-Rod because I don't want him anywhere near a Boston uniform.

speedracer said:
From ESPN.com:

Apparently four titles and an average of 98 wins per year over 12 years constitute a "mixed legacy". Wow.

Hard to argue with that though when you look at the fact that all those titles came at the start of his tenure, coming into a strong system, and despite the ever rising payroll higher than the GDP of developing countries, they haven't put together a team to go further than losing in the WS twice and the ALDS the past three years. Not that he isn't a great manager, but he came in with a lot of pieces, and played them right. As much as I'll always hate the Yankees, I can admit that the 90's teams were built with essential roles filled, and gelled together as a unit, the 2000's teams have been a revolving door of increasingly expensive "stars" and "mvp's" that play as a one city All Star team of divas, not a strong united team, and the pitching has gotten worse every year since 2003.

Joe Torre is one of the great managers/coaches of our time, of any sport. Steinbrenner would be a fool to get rid of him.

I predict hard times ahead for the Yankees without Torre.

Not that I have a problem with that.

If anyone should have a "mixed legacy", its Cashman and the front office, not Torre.
Some of the personnel moves the past few seasons have hamstrung Torre...you can't blame Torre for the Carl Pavanos, Jaret Wrights, Steroid Giambis, Bad Back Units etc.

You can blame him for throwing Wang on 3 days rest for the first time in his life last night after the Indians had rocked him in game 1, while Mussina was reasonably effective.

If Mussina starts, we are talking about game 5 right now in all likelihood.

I feel bad for Torre. I've always hated the Yankees for as long as I've been a baseball fan, but I've never had anything against Torre. He's a good guy. If the Cubs didn't have sweet Lou, I'd want Torre as our manager.

ahh october. it's sort of nice watching from a neutral spot, not having to sit through the gut wrenching drama that, no matter what the outcome, is gonna have you struggling through work the next day, win or lose.

but it ain't that nice...

alas... the 4 best teams all won. the two teams that were the best in the AL all year, one of the two teams who was the best in the NL all year and the team that played the best in the last two months of the season. tons of young players involved on all four teams, esp. cleveland, arizona and colorado. and better yet... three small market teams (and a fourth who thinks they are :wink: ).

The Phillies poor pitching was exposed in the playoffs, as expected. One would think the mets bullpen issues would have been equally exposed. Perhaps this choke was a blessing in disguise... the money that I would have spent on tickets I instead spent on money lines, winning all four serieses. :hi5: go chokes!

The thing you have to love about Arizona, Colorado and Cleveland is that they play the right way... first and second with no outs? They bunt... unlike, say, the Yankees or Mets who go by the lame excuse of "i want [insert suposed superstar here] swinging the bat in that situation." boo fucking hoo... the yankees always play for the big hit. they never play for just the one run, and that's why they lose in October. you can't play like and expect it to work forever. boston did it to 'em in 2004, cleveland did it to 'em this year. playoff baseball is won with pitching and small ball. the yankees haven't done either well since 2001. this is why they lose.

as for joe torre? well... the man was a moron when they hired him. he'll be a genius when they fire him. that's the way it goes sometimes... it's easy to forget how the decision to fire showalter in favor of torre, who was a failure everywhere he'd been before the yankees, was lambasted by media and fans alike. if they never would have made the decision, buck showalter could very well be heading to cooperstown right now and joe torre would still be a mediocre manager, bouncing from job to job. :shrug: pedro gets a few outs, they're building statues of grady little in boston right now. sometimes the line between legend and bum in coaching is that thin.

lastly... what annoys me the most is the media and fans talking like the yankees choked. no they didn't. they lost to a better team. the mets choked. the yankees in 2004 choked (even though boston was just as good). this yankee team lost to a better team, plain and simple.

i will now go and take all my winnings from the LDS' and piss it away on something stupid.

oh... one more thing.

a met fan today has already come up to me all giddy that the yankees lost. now i am a mets fan, and i'd like to punch the guy in the face (figuritively speaking of course... i'd prefer not to go to jail).

when another team loses and the team you root for had nothing to do with it and you get all giddy, it's kinda sad.

that's all.

Last edited:
I was definitely one of the Yankee fans who was upset when Showalter was axed and Torre was hired. At the time, it seemed insane. The Yanks had been through some really bad years, I mean last place bad, and had finally reached the post-season after a 13 year drought. Now, of course, in hindsight, it's easy to see all the positive things about Torre that were not so obvious from a distance then. It's disapponting to me that he'll not get to leave completely on his terms, as that much success should earn you the right to a little bit of slack. But, that's the Bronx, for better or worse.

Headache as usual makes a lot of good points. I agree that saying the Yanks "choked" is insane. They lost to a really good team, fair and square. To call it a shock takes away from what the Indians did, and that's lame.

As for fans who get giddy when a team loses and their team is playing golf again, what can you say? The Yanks are polarizing, and if I'm going to hate Duke, or the Cowboys, then I have to be philosophical about Yankee hatred. Hell, when the Mets collapsed, I enjoyed it a little, but, I sure didn't yell from the rooftops about it, or even post about it, mostly out of respect for Headache. If/when Boston loses, and I sure hope they do, I'll again keep my mouth mostly shut, because of Hewson, Phanan, Randhail, etc. What sucks is that the Sox aint losing to anyone, fuckers. :)

Obviously, Cleveland has a great 1-2 punch with Sabathia and Carmona. I think because the games are at Fenway Park will help offset that a bit.

Game 1 could very well be a 1-0 or 2-1 score, and it could go either way. As for Game 2, despite being in Boston, you have to give the edge to the Indians unless Dice-K pulls off something special.

Game 3 features Schilling. You have to like the Red Sox there.

Game 4 should be a wild one. Byrd against Wakefield most likely, unless his back keeps him out again, in which case it would be Lester.

I could see this series going the full 7, and if it does, the Red Sox would have Schilling for that one.

No spoken words said:
Hell, when the Mets collapsed, I enjoyed it a little, but, I sure didn't yell from the rooftops about it, or even post about it, mostly out of respect for Headache.

I did. Repeatedly. I think I was justified as a Phillies fan, though. :hmm:

DaveC said:

I did. Repeatedly. I think I was justified as a Phillies fan, though. :hmm:

the team you root for was a direct benefit of the choking, thus... justified.

met fans taking joy that the yankees lost? unjustified.

red sox fans taking joy that the yankees lost? mistaken justification... the indians are better, they should have wanted the yankees to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom