The Super Terrific MLB Thread - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
capt_52dad0985475433d90e75201d6f34f.jpg

fullj_getty-73396945ml010_cubs-reds.jpg

Nice to see Cubs enjoying themselves!!
At least I can watch football on Sunday w/o stressing about baseball!!!
Good luck to the rest!!!

zoney! said:

A-thank ya! :wink:

Happy for the Cubs clinch...but fear San Diego. They have a crapload of weapons in that bullpen.

Also VERY happy that Boston clinched. I am headed to Boston tomorrow...going to the game Sunday. This will be my first trip to Fenway and I think we have some pretty sweet seats. Schmeg has been dancing around the condo since making "bird" sounds trying to encourage the Orioles on to victory. I even have "down by the river...." stuck in my head.

But why am I happy for the Red Sox? Now I can safely wear my Twins Kirby jersey to Fenway! :D

twins are out and the game really means NOTHING! (the American league is set Angels/Sox - Yanks/Chief Wahoo).

I have to find a way to get to a playoff game...ANYWHERE!

Enjoy the game zoney. You should be good with the Kirby jersey...now if it was a Jeter one, not so much :)

Your best bet for playoff tickets might be Yankee Stadium, they make the playoffs every year so I think you'd find more tickets available. Plus, if you haven't been it'll be a chance to see it before they move out next year. I've been once and had a great time.

Congrats to the Cubbies - a very dangerous team I think. I guess as it stands now it's DBacks/Cubs and Phils/Pads? Those are good matchups...but I hope the Mets manage to get in. The looks on the faces of the Mets & fans during Friday's game were just painful...no fans should have to endure that.

speedracer said:
Just saw the replay of the Yankees-Orioles game, which clinched the division for the Red Sox. Bunting home the winning run with 2 outs takes some serious stones.

Also, judging from the celebrations in the Red Sox clubhouse, I'm slightly worried that Jon Papelbon is gonna drive home tonight and wrap his car around a lamppost.

Even if Papelbon did hit a lamppost, he probably wouldn't have remembered it.

Last night most of the team celebrated at Game On

img46fe9cb19097e.jpg

img46fe9d122db43.jpg

Smart money is on the Twins tonight.

Last edited:
Got Philk? said:
I was happy to see Zambrano pitch so well. He can get pretty pumped up and out of control in big games. This is good news for us going into the playoffs I think. :D :hyper: :D

Yeah, what Phil said. It was great to see the celebration last night, and it's nice to see them playing in such a relaxed manner today--Murton, Soto, and Cedeno are doing very well!

Go, Cubs, Go!

:hyper:

Last edited:
Nice way to blow it Padres....Gwynn Jr hit off of Trevor..ironic

"Happy for the Cubs clinch...but fear San Diego. They have a crapload of weapons in that bullpen"

yeah zoney.....much less afraid after today's game!!! Cubs have momentum...we'll take that anyday!

Mr. BAW said:
.....:angel:.......:angel:.......:angel:.....

:angel:.....:angel:.....:angel:......:angel:....

.................:angel:.............................

.................:angel:..............................

AAGM047~David-Ortiz-hitting-game-3-and-2004-ALDS-winning-HR-against-Anaheim-Angels-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Sadly, Jarrod Washburn, the Red Sox' MVP from that series, will not be playing this time around.

Boston now has about 50 minutes to decide whether they want the short division series or the long one.

If I were in charge, I think I'd take the long series so that Tim Wakefield doesn't have to pitch against the Angels (who would steal bases like crazy against him) and so that the Yankees don't have to face Sabathia and Carmona twice. (Not that a ALCS against the Yankees would be a picnic, but I think it'd be better than going up against Sabathia and Carmona a total of four times.)

EDIT: Looks like Boston will indeed take the long series.

Last edited:
I am in Boston!

CTU2fan said:

Enjoy the game zoney. You should be good with the Kirby jersey...now if it was a Jeter one, not so much :)

Your best bet for playoff tickets might be Yankee Stadium, they make the playoffs every year so I think you'd find more tickets available. Plus, if you haven't been it'll be a chance to see it before they move out next year. I've been once and had a great time.

I currently have NESN on and they have the Red Sox Nation Presidential Debate on. :yikes:

I WILL enjoy the game and would never wear a Jeter jersey here...or probably anywhere. I was talking about Bucky Dent earlier though (I feel that the Phils/Mets are headed for a one game playoff).

I have NO desire to go see a playoff game at Yankee Stadium. I grew up less than 15 miles from the stadium and grew up with them. I have history.

For the record...my summer at MLB games (home team first):

Cubs vs. Nats (with NSW)
Phils vs. White Sox
Mets vs. Twins
Phils vs. Cards
Phils vs. Braves
Reds vs. Cubs
Phils vs. Dodgers
White Sox vs. Red Sox
Phils vs. Mets
Cards vs. Reds
Red Sox vs. Twins

Eight stadiums and 11 different teams. Love to add another team and/or stadium.

And I see Jamie Moyer is rolling right along so far in the Philly game -- no runs and 1 hit through three innings. Hope he gets the win and into the postseason -- we like Jamie here in Seattle! Class guy.

Flipping around between my Steelers, the Mets and the Phils. Thank you DirecTV.

Mets just lost, and the Phillie fans are going fucking crazy. Wow. As a sports fan, you live for those moments, to be in that crowd at that time, or at least to get to watch it. I was at Game 6 of the 1996 World Series and still get chills thinking back to that day.

2 dead in Philly now, one out to go, crowd all standing, in red, waving the white towels. Great scene.

And the Phillies win......they advance, wow, what a stretch drive. Just, wow.

Congrats PF26 and Dave C, enjoy October baseball!!!

2007 NL East Champions.

My God.

This is unbelievable.

I feel like this team is unstoppable right now...bring 'em on!!!

:D

it takes two to choke. if the phillies didn't play well down the stretch, the mets could have just backed themselves in to the playoffs. so of course all credit is due them... especially rollins, who backed up every word he spoke. a preverbial tip of the hat to him. it's nice to see a guy who actually backs up his bravado, unlike the shortstop in queens.

all that said... this is a mets team that, on paper, had the most talent in the national league. they're also a team that played as if they knew that fact all year long. there was no desperation, no heart, no emotion. they acted as if all they had to do was show up and it was their birth right to go to the playoffs. that's not a team i want to root for.

this team, with the exception of wright, loduca, alou and a few select others, have coasted the entire season. jose reyes has looked as if he didn't care for the last 2 months. not ironicly his play showed. this falls on everyone in the organization... but it has to start with omar minaya and willie randolph.

this lack of effort was not something that was there only these last few weeks. it's been there the entire season. the mets were .500 at home. they were a .500 team since june. it's clear as day that willie randolph has no control over his club house, and even though i doubt it will happen, he should never be allowed to wear a mets uniform again.

the mets "moto" this season... all over the commercials, the advertisements, the stadium... has been "your season has come." they changed that to "your postseason has come" about a month ago. they put the extra playoff seats out at shea a week ago. vanity... quite the sin. the entire organization has been so full of themselves the entire season, the play on the field reflected that sense, and they got what they deserved. they were taken over by a team that scrapped and clawed for everything they got... a team that showed this little thing called heart.

congrats to the phillies, padres, cubs, d-backs, angels, indians, red sox and yankees.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
it takes two to choke. if the phillies didn't play well down the stretch, the mets could have just backed themselves in to the playoffs. so of course all credit is due them... especially rollins, who backed up every word he spoke. a preverbial tip of the hat to him. it's nice to see a guy who actually backs up his bravado, unlike the shortstop in queens.

all that said... this is a mets team that, on paper, had the most talent in the national league. they're also a team that played as if they knew that fact all year long. there was no desperation, no heart, no emotion. they acted as if all they had to do was show up and it was their birth right to go to the playoffs. that's not a team i want to root for.

this team, with the exception of wright, loduca, alou and a few select others, have coasted the entire season. jose reyes has looked as if he didn't care for the last 2 months. not ironicly his play showed. this falls on everyone in the organization... but it has to start with omar minaya and willie randolph.

this lack of effort was not something that was there only these last few weeks. it's been there the entire season. the mets were .500 at home. they were a .500 team since june. it's clear as day that willie randolph has no control over his club house, and even though i doubt it will happen, he should never be allowed to wear a mets uniform again.

the mets "moto" this season... all over the commercials, the advertisements, the stadium... has been "your season has come." they changed that to "your postseason has come" about a month ago. they put the extra playoff seats out at shea a week ago. vanity... quite the sin. the entire organization has been so full of themselves the entire season, the play on the field reflected that sense, and they got what they deserved. they were taken over by a team that scrapped and clawed for everything they got... a team that showed this little thing called heart.

congrats to the phillies, padres, cubs, d-backs, angels, indians, red sox and yankees.

I agree with a lot of the above, but did not want to post any of that, basically, out of respect for you. :) Nice, classy, logical post, Headache. Maybe the Giants can win tonight and get some revenge.

Doe

No spoken words said:

I agree with a lot of the above, but did not want to post any of that, basically, out of respect for you. :) Nice, classy, logical post, Headache. Maybe the Giants can win tonight and get some revenge.

Doe

Indeed.

I would have wallowed in grief for at least a day.

But the Giants are still getting shitkicked tonight.

Wow, the Brewers sure aren't playing like a team that got eliminated on Friday...

I don't know if they'll do it, but Arizona really should just roll over and let Colorado win so that Colorado and San Diego have to have a playoff game, since Arizona has already clinched HFA throught the NL playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom