The Roots - Rising Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Any thoughts on the new record so far? I still have to listen to the new Portishead album first, but this is in the queue. The few tracks I've heard from this feature some of the best drumming I've ever heard on a Roots album; the beats are great, the lyrics are just OK, but that's nothing new.

Should be great.

OK, after one listen (and keep in mind that Roots albums are often a bit impenetrable at first), I've got to say that this is a very good record. The first half is absolutely brilliant, while the second half is pretty average. Rising Down is very coherent and creative production-wise, and the first 5 tracks create a very intense atmosphere. It's really quite surreal, and not as heavy-handed as it could have been (thank God). I'd rank the tracks like this:

1. Criminal (best rap song of the year so far, IMO, with a great hook and some stunning lyrics)
2. Get Busy
3. 75 Bars
4. Rising Down
5. I Will Not Apologize
6. Unwritten (a shame that it's only 1:22, because it would be a knockout, which is why I'm including it here)
7. Lost Desire
8. Rising Up
9. The Show
10. I Can't Help It
11. Singing Man (the hook is...ugh...)

The first 8 are all good/great, the last three are just OK.

Still need to check this out. Recently discovered Phrenology and Things Fall Apart and I'm gettin' hooked.

I should check this out. I really, really, really adore Phrenology, but have never really felt any of their other records as records. Great songs all over the place, for sure, but nothing (including Things Fall Apart) ever cohered for me, as a long-player. God damn, though...Phrenology was SICK, son! They'll have me in their bandwagon forever, cuz of that one.

Back
Top Bottom