The Official Interference Super (it's two words, people) Bowl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Asante Samuel would have had a hard time keeping his feet inbounds even if he had caught that ball. He's made plays like that before, but it is by no means routine.

zonelistener said:
Welcome back Hewson!

Despite the outcome (in your eyes), I still think you are one lucky bastard! :D
Yes, obviously the outcome was not to my liking, but I did get to witness one of the greatest sporting events ever first hand. And I'm "experienced" enough in being a sports fan not to have let the outcome affect me too much. When I walked back into the house and handed a silly souvenir nerf style football to my 3 yr old and saw the joy it brought him, the game was already a memory and nothing more.

So here's the Reader's Digest version...Any serious sports fan needs to get themselves to a Super Bowl once in their lifetime. Even if I were a Dolphin's fan (why the hell would I do that though? :wink: ), it would have been an incredible experience. The atmosphere is beyond any event I've attended in person, including Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS, Game 5 of the 1986 World Series, Celtics playoff games in the Bird era and others. And to have the drama that unfolded in the 4th quarter of that game is almost surreal. A few specifics...what a game of inches...Headache's initial post in the thread describing Eli and the final drive heroics would 8 out of 10 times have been a description of goat horns, cause people now overlook the ball he threw directly to Assante Samuel, which Samuel catches 8 of 10 times...but Eli put it behind him and along with David Tyree completed the single greatest play in Super Bowl and possibly NFL history. I was in the corner at that end of the field, thought sure Eli was ruled sacked because his progress seemed stopped, but no whistle came , when he spun out I saw Tyree open, but also saw Harrison closing...how Rodney doesn't knock that ball away still amazes me. The final drive was charmed indeed, the Giants seemed destined to score, every time they looked like they were about to be stopped, they found just enough to march on.
Some crazy game.

As for other events...golfing at Lookout Mountain at the Hilton Point Tapatio resort Saturday provided some interesting wildlife encounters, including watching 3 coyotes (who obviously don't shop at Acme) triangulate around a roadrunner, catch him and fight over his carcass....right on the second hole. Meep meep indeed.

Th NFL experience was in a word crowded. Wish we had known that Sunday it was open to only SB ticket holders, we could have headed over earlier and done some of the things that the line was too long for Saturday. Some cool stuff to do, throwing footballs through tires, kicking through uprights etc. First tent we entered had a Canon booth where people were getting their picture taken with Archie Manning...we got in line and the volunteer line nazi stepped in 2 people ahead of us and said that was the end cause Archie had only 10 minutes left. Oh well. Later Russ Francis appeared at the booth and I got to meet and get a photo with him. A win for me over Archie personally. Very nice guy, and rather tall.
Also walked past a rather large Anthony Munoz. Saw(but wasn't willing to wait in line for) Bryant Westbrook at the autograph booth. (DaveC and PF26 would have spent the hour plus in line I'm sure). And they had a "phone a friend" booth where 4 players were talking to whoever you called on your cell phone, at the time I passed they had Joe Horn and Jake Delhomme amongst the guys doing it. Again too long of a line.
Also met and chated with David Bryan (Bon Jovi's keyboard player) at the game in the souvenir store, and ran into none other than Phil Simms at the Continental terminal sunday night.

Now having slept only a few hours on a couple of planes since 6:30 AM Mountain Time Sunday, tis time for some sleep...I do have a few comments to make about some of the other posts in this thread(damn 32 pages takes a while to read when you're bleary-eyed), but it must wait till tomorrow. I sent a congratulatory email to my Giants fan friend from this board earlier today, but I'll close with a repeat...congrats Headache, enjoy the victory, I know the feeling, just not this time. (And c'mon MrPryck, you didn't think I meant you did ya? The Jets will be better once they fire Mangini :wink: )

zonelistener said:
Jealous! :up:

Seems like one hell of an experience.

I WILL get to the Super Bowl someday...
Next year in Tampa...Pats/Vikings...have the soon to be wife get you a trip for your wedding gift.

Assuming the Packers, Cowboys, Chargers, Colts and Jaguars don't all spontaneously fold sometime over the next year, both the Patriots and the Giants are going to have a hell of a time getting back to the Super Bowl.

i know... and the 5 year complain about the team grace period has officialy begun for me.

that said... favre will be a year older, and the cowboys have all sorts of issues from their coach and coordinators to TO to romo's preference in women... so it's obviously going to be very difficult, but i certainly think they can at least get there again.

zonelistener said:

Or Colts/Vikes and my company (read: Colts and Vikings) pays me for the trip!

Man, it would hurt my soul too much to root against the Vikings, especially since they've never won a Super Bowl. but my blood is blue. It's physically impossible for me to not cheer for the Colts. arrrggh let's not have that happen :mad:

Eli, little dude, you've proven yourself quite well. I'll definitely watch the Giants more next year :yes:

I wonder how the Pats will be next year... surely still damn good?

I'm trading in my Lions jersey for a Giants one next season. :hi5:

No bandwagon (ok, maybe a teeny bit) here. I'll continue to root for all my other home teams, but picking another NFL team to root for was easy - it's all about NYC. :love:

...aaaaaand the little fact that the Lions were never, are not, and never will be anything more than a thorn in the side of any Detroit sports fan

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

No bandwagon (ok, maybe a teeny bit) here. I'll continue to root for all my other home teams, but picking another NFL team to root for was easy - it's all about NYC. :love:

...aaaaaand the little fact that the Lions were never, are not, and never will be anything more than a thorn in the side of any Detroit sports fan

The fact that your home town team happens to suck right now does not permit you to ever, EVER, EVER "switch teams", if you live within a 25-mile radius of its home arena.

You ALWAYS root for the hometown team. Even if you move to another city with a better franchise, you still root for your home team. This is the Golden Rule of Sports.

I expected better from you than "frontrunner"-itis. :shame:

ETA: And to scare you off further from becoming a frontrunner (I know you're better than that, April :sad: ), just be aware that this is the type of fanbase you're thinking of joining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4nR3UwIeGQ

Last edited:
DaveC said:

The fact that your home town team happens to suck right now does not permit you to ever, EVER, EVER "switch teams", if you live within a 25-mile radius of its home arena.

You ALWAYS root for the hometown team. Even if you move to another city with a better franchise, you still root for your home team. This is the Golden Rule of Sports.

ETA: And to scare you off further from becoming a frontrunner (I know you're better than that, April :sad: ), just be aware that this is the type of fanbase you're thinking of joining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4nR3UwIeGQ

Nicely put. :up:

No bandwagon (ok, maybe a teeny bit) here. I'll continue to root for all my other home teams, but picking another NFL team to root for was easy - it's all about NYC. :love

Whatever you choose to do, you might want to keep it a secret. Take it from me.

MrPryck2U said:

Whatever you choose to do, you might want to keep it a secret. Take it from me.

Rooting for two home teams in a city you live in is one thing. Loopy and ridiculous, but there's a (very) slight amount of reasoning to it.

Declaring a team that is halfway across the country "your favorite" because they just won the Super Bowl is the worst fan behavior in all of sports. I know seven year olds who look down on that type of thing.

This is precisely why I absolutely despise the Patriots "fanbase" in Halifax.

I know the Lions suck right now, but I root for Philadelphia teams. I know the feeling.

I'm impressed with your diplomacy. I do kind of agree with you. The Giants have had plenty of seasons where they sucked, but I stuck with them. You never know, Detroit could turn it around in the next few years.

DaveC said:
Declaring a team that is halfway across the country "your favorite" because they just won the Super Bowl is the worst fan behavior in all of sports. I know seven year olds who look down on that type of thing.

I agree with the rooting for the team halfway across the country and that just won the super bowl is suspect, but disagree a little with you're dislike of your Halifax brethren. They don't have a home team to root for and technically, the Pats would be the closest team. Are the Pats the team you get the broadcasts of every weekend? I'm sure there are a fair amount of bandwagoners up there, but there may be some legit Pats fans up in those parts too.

DaveC said:

Rooting for two home teams in a city you live in is one thing. Loopy and ridiculous, but there's a (very) slight amount of reasoning to it.

I know the Lions suck right now, but I root for Philadelphia teams. I know the feeling.

Agreed. No matter how bad things get for the 49ers I am still a diehard and have been so for two decades. My loyalty has never wavered since.

DaveC said:

Wow, make one innocent little statement and get jumped on... I feel like I really belong here now. :love:

It's not just because they won the Super Bowl. I've been rooting for them from the end of the regular season, through the playoffs and up to the Super Bowl.

I just really got into football this year, you know that. Like, really really got into it. I have been a Wings, Tigers, and Pistons fan with varying degrees of fandom my entire life, and let me tell you, I never rooted for the Lions really even when I casually followed the NFL. Think about your "switch" from the Leafs to the Canucks. You couldn't put your heart into rooting for the Leafs and decided to switch alliances. Same goes here, and so what if the team I root for now just happened to have just won the Super Bowl? Like I already said, I have been for them since before the end of the regular season.

Believe me, when I first started following hockey, the Wings were known as the Dead Wings. When they won the cup in 1997 it was one of the most euphoric feelings I have ever experienced. Do I even need to talk about the Tigers? :wink:

MrPryck - this is the Lions. Not even Millen thinks they can turn it around. The one person who could actually you know, do something to try and turn things around won't even lift a finger. It's a joke in this city. :shrug:

randhail said:

I agree with the rooting for the team halfway across the country and that just won the super bowl is suspect, but disagree a little with you're dislike of your Halifax brethren. They don't have a home team to root for and technically, the Pats would be the closest team. Are the Pats the team you get the broadcasts of every weekend? I'm sure there are a fair amount of bandwagoners up there, but there may be some legit Pats fans up in those parts too.

It would be one thing if most of them chose to root for the Patriots when they were little, because it's true - 80% of the CBS games broadcast here are Pats games.

But I didn't know one single Pats fan in Halifax - not ONE - before '02. It was a crapshoot as to who any given football fan rooted for - you could find 49'ers fans, Giants fans, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, Eagles, even a few Vikings fans...all in relatively even proportion. This was when I became a football fan. My dad never had a team, and I liked Randall Cunningham and the Eagles. But after XXXVIII, all of a sudden, there were thousands of Patriots fans. I'm sure the Patriots being the closest team had something to do with it, but surely all these fans weren't in hiding and then all decided to suddenly show their loyalty at once. I stuck with my team while three-quarters of my high school friends decided that all of a sudden the teams they grew up rooting for weren't good enough anymore. They bought Patriots jerseys and acted like they had a divine right to chirp the fans of every other team because they were winning. The boys all thought Tom Brady was the greatest QB who ever lived, and every single girl wouldn't shut up about how they "loooooooooooove" the Patriots because "Tom Brady is soooooooooo hot!!" It was frontrunner-itis en masse. And because the Patriots KEPT winning, they got more and more obnoxious, and I started to really get pissed off when someone who I KNEW barely knew who the New England Patriots even were before the 2001 season would get up in my face and yap about how "their" team was so amazing and the Eagles just couldn't get over the hump and make it into the Super Bowl, and how they were the Bills of the '00s. And when my team finally did make it to the Big Game and lost, those same people gave it to me like I've never been bitched at in my sports life before or since. And man, did it ever burn my ass that frontrunners were ripping me, who'd been a fan of one team since I can first remember asking my dad to tell me what the rules of football were. From that point I desperately yearned for the Patriots to lose, no matter who they were playing, just so that their "fans" would shut the fuck up for once. That, in a nutshell, is the genesis of my anti-Patriots feelings.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I hate frontrunner sports fans.

Rant over...deep breath. :sigh: Okay, I'm calmed down now. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :D

Last edited:
DaveC said:

Unless you latched onto a team outside of the 25 mile radius as a little kid. I started rooting for the Steelers around age 5, and have stuck with them ever since. As I got older, and watched football every week, that's when I developed a passion for the Giants as well. However, the Steelers are and always be my team, no matter where I live.

No spoken words said:

Unless you latched onto a team outside of the 25 mile radius as a little kid.

Yeah, that's the one exception to the rule. Once you're past the age of 8 and can watch sports for your own enjoyment and make up your own mind, you're stuck.

It's not just because they won the Super Bowl. I've been rooting for them from the end of the regular season, through the playoffs and up to the Super Bowl.

Five whole weeks, you really are dedicated. :up:

Back
Top Bottom