The Official AFL Season 2009 thread that may be super!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, Collingwood are really struggling when everyone expected such good things from them for this season.

yeah good to hear about Princes Park, but they've knocked down the gorgeous Heatley Stand, a eautiful old stand with charm, and they'll probably build something feral looking (like the Jack Elliot Stand) there instead....

Love that ground.

Well, I never saw his first behind since I was listening to radio coverage but the second was a running shot from 50 on a 45 or so degree angle that looked perfect but barely faded in the end, it just missed. :wink:

But still, 20 goals 2 is brilliant. You should've heard the commentators when Porpoise missed last night, "I CAN'T HE BELIEVE HE MISSED! HE NEVER MISSES!" pretty predictable but you get the point. :D

You can also safely say that he's not in his best form atm.
:lol: he'll get better though, only what 20? how's hentschel doing?
Yep, heard about that and I think it would be fantastic - none of the Aussie teams would have even half a chance at making the semi-finals because the thin talent pool that only just supported three teams in the Super 12 era would be hopelessly dispersed over five teams, so the Kiwi teams would have an even easier shot at the finals (especially if South Africa also wants to disperse its talent pool with a sixth team). Or in other words, I think it's a fucking daft move and if the tournament must be expanded, it should be to admit Argentine or Pacific Islands teams.

Good on them re-opening Princes Park.

Damn shame about Poormond today. And I'd hate to be a Collingwood fan after their last two games!
:lol: I think it would fail miserably as well. Even less people give a shit about union here than do league, and to read that apparently 90% or something of the young aussies playing union are of pacific descent anyway, then they should do as you say.
yeah good to hear about Princes Park, but they've knocked down the gorgeous Heatley Stand, a eautiful old stand with charm, and they'll probably build something feral looking (like the Jack Elliot Stand) there instead....

Love that ground.
I agree, it's a fantastic ground, I go there a few times a year to report on VFL footy. BT doing his usual complaining about poor facilities, etc, he just needs to drink some cement and ...

:lol: he'll get better though, only what 20? how's hentschel doing?

Believe it or not Porplyzia is actually 24/25 years old, he was at the Crows back in 2002/2003 but got delisted but he got re-drafted for the 2006 season, and you see he's working wonders for us. After he got delisted in 2003 or something as a rookie I guess he worked extra hard which brought him back to where he is today.

As for Hentschel, this week he's returning in the SANFL, and Bocks a good chance to return against Carlton. :up:

Righto, more Uneducated Picks!

Geelong duh vs Bulldogs
North Melbourne vs holy shit I'm picking Freo
Adelaide vs Carlton
West Coast vs Collingwood
Poormond vs Essendon
Sydney vs Port
St Kilda vs Lions
Hawthorn vs Melbourne

I guess they're more educated than uneducated. :wink:

Geelong vs Bulldogs - Obviously, I reckon Geelong can win 22 outta 22 this season.
North Melbourne vs Freo - I can't believe it myself.
Adelaide vs Carlton - Carlton haven't beaten Adelaide since 2004.
West Coast vs Collingwood - Will be an entertaining match. :up:
Richmond vs Essendon - Dreamtime at the 'G to be a thrashing at the 'G (Sorry Ax)
Sydney vs Port - Meh.
St Kilda vs Lions - St Kilda are just as much as on fire as the Edge was/is.
Hawthorn vs Melbourne - Will be closer than expected.

Geelong vs Bulldogs - No contest, although I like the doggies.
North Melbourne vs Freo - Pretty hard tip, but I don't think Freo have it in them.
Adelaide vs Carlton - Tempted to tip Carlton despite recent record here, but I think the Crows can make it.
West Coast vs Collingwood - Really think we can take this one.
Richmond vs Essendon - Richmond have too much on their minds right now to even give it a bite. Dons show up on the big dates.
Sydney vs Port - Could go either way, I guess. Doesn't sound too exciting.
St Kilda vs Lions - blah
Hawthorn vs Melbourne - wait, what?

Maybe I should try to make my picks more educated by giving reasons for them, given that I've now watched enough of the season that I'm not just picking based on vague notions of who might be good and who probably sucks.

Geelong duh vs Bulldogs: I already said "duh".
North Melbourne vs holy shit I'm picking Freo: North seem to have some decent moments, but I think Freo will hold it together better for the course of the game and come out on top.
Adelaide vs Carlton: After last week's showing, Carlton look good.
West Coast vs Collingwood: After last fortnight's showings, Collingwood look really bad. Plus it's being played out west.
Poormond vs Essendon: Poormond is poor.
Sydney vs Port: Meh. Wasn't sure on this one, figured it could go either way, but Sydney has the home ground advantage.
St Kilda vs Lions: This is a "duh" too, really, as much as my Lions-loving mother won't want to believe it.
Hawthorn vs Melbourne[/QUOTE]

Yeah. :lol:

Herald Sun ran an unfounded story on their website today saying Wallace had been sacked. It forced the Tigers to hold a press conference saying he wasn't.

My half-educated picks won't change whether I make them the second after the final game of the previous round ends or the second before the first game of the upcoming round begins. :lol:

Hehe,

Well its just that Geelongs team could be abducted by aliens and replaced by 22 Ben Cousins and get all fail epically on Friday night, between now and then, thats all.

Even then I think we'd still be too good :wink:

How I laughed when a friend suggested that her Dogs had a chance of beating us without Gary Ablett.

22 Dodgy hamstrings?....Even Geelong couldn't survive that :lol:

Haha, well Ablett is just one player...I mean if you were without Bartel, Chapman, Ling, King, Johnson and a few others...yeah they might get within 5 goals!

Hehe,

Well its just that Geelongs team could be abducted by aliens and replaced by 22 Ben Cousins and get all fail epically on Friday night, between now and then, thats all.

:laugh:

In that case, I'd change my pick before the game begins. :wink:

Wow, it almost did happen! Looks like deja vu for poor old Brad Johnson, who last year against North Melbourne he had a chance to win it but failed also.

Still, an amazing match. I thought the Bulldogs were gone in the 3rd quarter.

Damn, wish I'd watched the game!

Fucking missed the Super 14 semi-final with my Wellington Hurricanes too, since I'd read that it was tonight, not last night. Oh well, we lost, so perhaps missing it was for the best.

Go you Crows. Owned the Blues by 44 points and Fremantle actually lost when I tipped them. :wink:

I'm being a very naughty boy.

I'm so pissed off we lost! I really thought this would be in the bag.

Oh well, guess it really IS another development year for us.

Also, congrats to the Doggies for getting within a sniff... great effort.

St Kilda over Brisbane was another cracking match today! And the Swannies gave Port a bath! What more could I want. :up: :hyper:

Glad the Hawks won - at least one Wellington coloured team pulled it off this week.

Now it's time again for Axver's Half-Educated, Rather Premature Picks.

Carlton vs West Coast: Eagles have no hope, sorry Bonnie.
Bulldogs vs Sydney: Should be a close game.
Kangaroos vs Lions: Possibly a brave pick? I just reckon the Lions have ths one in them.
Fremantle vs Poormond: Tigers are fucked at home, let alone at Subiaco.
St Kilda vs Melbourne: 70+ margin, I bet.
Adelaide vs Hawthorn: I reckon Hawks are getting back on track and will take this one.
Essendon vs Geelong: Oh yeah, I went there.
Collingwood vs Port: Meh, no real strong feelings on this.

Here goes nothing ...

Carlton vs West Coast: Carlton should bounce back to comfortably beat the Weagles. Just can't see them winning out of Subiaco.
Bulldogs vs Sydney: Ooh, tough one. Sydney by the neck of a swan.
Kangaroos vs Lions: Still unsure about the Kangaroos. Brisbane almost snatched it from St Kilda yesterday.
Fremantle vs Richmond: Before anyone calls me a stupid and clueless idiot, aren't we forgetting one rule? NEVER tip Fremantle, I tipped them (again!) last week and you know what happened. :wink:
St Kilda vs Melbourne: Obviously Saints, but Melbourne won't be thrown off that easily.
Adelaide vs Hawthorn: After winning against Carlton on Saturday I have renewed hopes that we can snatch this one. :up:
Essendon vs Geelong: Another interesting match.
Collingwood vs Port: C'wood really regained some form after beating the Eagles so I think they can put this one in the bag over an extremely overrated Port.

This is sure to stir up some controversy. :evil:

Fremantle vs Richmond: Before anyone calls me a stupid and clueless idiot, aren't we forgetting one rule? NEVER tip Fremantle, I tipped them (again!) last week and you know what happened. :wink:

Why can't you pick them this week and jinx it so that Poormond actually wins for a change? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom