The Official 2005 NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
td-ab.jpg

touchdown!

leave it to the sports guy to make me smile a bit...

So what has been fun about the 2005 season? I'm going with Manning vs. Manning, maybe the most compelling subplot in any sport right now. Forget that an all-Manning Super Bowl could shatter the pregame hype record as we know it, that Archie Manning probably would have to pull a Richard Williams and skip the game or watch it in someone's basement, even that Eli has a chance to legitimately own New York for the next 15 years. There's another dynamic at work here, and it's unlike any situation that has ever happened in sports.

Imagine A-Rod putting up huge numbers over the past 10 years, then coming up short when it mattered pretty much every time. (You don't have to imagine it because it happened. Just bear with me.) Now, imagine he had a younger brother. And imagine that same brother was a highly regarded shortstop for the Cubs, and maybe his stats weren't as good as A-Rod's stats, but unlike A-Rod, he had a knack for coming up big when it mattered. Not only that, but his teammates loved him and believed in him. And imagine this kid ended up carrying the Cubs to a 2006 title over A-Rod and the Yankees and becoming an MJ-like demigod in Chicago.

That would be pretty crazy, right? Well, this could actually happen with the Manning brothers in less than four months. Peyton has Hall of Fame stats; Eli has All-Pro stats and an extra something that can't really be defined. You just know it when you see it. Jeter has it. Brady and Big Papi have it. Favre still has it from time to time. I think David Wright has it in him. So does Ginobili. Certain guys just seem to stand out in big spots. They have that extra something.

And that something manifests itself in little ways. Like the way Eli struggled in the past two games against good defenses (Denver and Dallas) but somehow sprang to life when the Giants needed him most. Like those occasional "Wow!" plays he makes (the ultimate sign of greatness), like the reverse scramble to keep a third-and-4 alive in the Denver game, or an impossible completion to Burress to keep the Dallas game alive. Like the way his teammates mobbed him after the winning TD in the Denver game (you know the QB is clicking with his team when the defensive players mob him after a big play), or all the "As long as we have Eli, we know we have a chance" quotes that filtered out of Jersey this week. He's special. You can see it.

Does that mean his brother isn't special? Of course not. But something happens to Peyton in certain big spots, and you can see that, too. He gets a little jittery. Makes that weird face like he just stepped in dog poop. Gets frustrated easily. Misses throws he normally bangs out. On the sideline, his teammates don't have that "I'd kill for this guy" look in their eyes. Again, it's nothing tangible, but that's the great thing about football -- not everything has to make sense on paper. For instance, if you examined the Steelers-Bengals box score from Sunday, you would see Bettis' 56 rushing yards and assume he couldn't possibly have been the key guy in that game. Not true. It wasn't just the yards, it was when they came and how they affected his team at the time. When the "Bus" is rolling like that, the Steelers take on a different swagger. They can beat anybody.

And that's the problem with Peyton Manning, the two-time MVP, as well as the quarterback of a team that's 7-0. There's still something missing. He doesn't have that same galvanizing effect on his team. He doesn't get better when it matters. Like A-Rod, Karl Malone, Jim Kelly and some other greats over the years, Peyton always seems to peak in safer situations, like with a 10-point lead in the second half, when the wheels are coming off an opposing team and he settles into a deadly groove. Going back to college, Eli peaks when he's down a score, when his team needs him to come through, when he doubles as the only hope on the football field. Some guys rise to the occasion, other guys shrink from it, and in this case, the two extremes just happen to be brothers.

Hey, maybe this plays out with Peyton winning a Super Bowl and ending the "can't come through when it matters" argument once and for all. Maybe this plays out with neither Manning making it to Detroit. Or maybe, just maybe, this plays out with Eli toppling the Colts on a last-minute drive in February.

Now that would be something. Almost enough to make you forget what a sobering season this has been so far.

As I mentioned before, Chunky Soup's hernia is definitely affecting his throwing, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the season on IR...eventually he's gonna really hurt himself, damage his rotator cuff or something because he's changing his throwing motion to avoid pain in his abdomen when he throws.

I remember watching the Theisman breadstick game...MNF 1985.
They must have replayed that thing 137 times.
That and Tim Krumrie's dangling lower leg in the SuperBowl share the record for most overplayed gruesome injury replays.
Honrable mentions to Moises Alou and Jason Kendall

I recall the the Kendall injury, but what was the Alou one?

The Ken Norton helmet to Byrant Young's leg is up there too.
Sid Vicious's ankle injury in WCW was pretty brutal as well.

kellyahern said:

Or the Joe Theisman leg snap. I'd heard about that for years, but I finally saw it recently. Holy :censored:! :yikes:

That was awful! You could see the bones coming out the front of his shin :yikes: The announcer was going 'let's have another look at that slo mo" and we were like, "let's not!" It even grosses out my husband, and he loves gruesome movies.

Kellen Winslow's knee injury was bad when you see it get knocked out until it starts to flop around like the bottom of his leg was only held on by the skin and the pants :barf:

randhail said:
I recall the the Kendall injury, but what was the Alou one?

The Ken Norton helmet to Byrant Young's leg is up there too.
Sid Vicious's ankle injury in WCW was pretty brutal as well.
Alou was similar to Kendall, dislocated ankle sliding into 2nd...foot turned the wrong way.

I thought Sid Vicious died of an OD in the 70's.:wink:

It's not a good time to be the Saints' owner right now. First he threatens to move the team and now this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2212331

Updated: Nov. 3, 2005, 9:14 AM ET
Frustrated Benson: 'I will not return to Baton Rouge'

NEW ORLEANS -- New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson says he will not return to Baton Rouge for his hurricane-displaced team's games for the rest of this season and next year, according to an e-mail obtained by a newspaper and a television station.

The e-mail was sent to NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue following the Saints' loss on Sunday in Baton Rouge, taunts from fans and an altercation with a TV camera crew.

In the e-mail, Benson called security at Tiger Stadium "inadequate to non-existent" and claimed that he and his family members "could have all been severely injured or killed."

"I will not return to Baton Rouge for any reason, including any games scheduled for the end of this season or a contemplated next season," Benson said in the e-mail. "No person, much less the owner of NFL team, should have either he, his family or his friends subjected to this form of danger, intimidation and abuse. I was advised not to go but wanted to support the league."

Hewson said:
As I mentioned before, Chunky Soup's hernia is definitely affecting his throwing, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finished the season on IR...eventually he's gonna really hurt himself, damage his rotator cuff or something because he's changing his throwing motion to avoid pain in his abdomen when he throws.

i've never liked mcnabb and have always considered him to be over-rated... well before rush limbaugh came out and ruined my argument by making anyone associated with whitey who criticized mcnabb an automatic racist... damn him to hell.

leading up to limbaugh's rediculous, assinine statements... it was pretty much open season on mcnabb... but then all of a sudden you couldn't touch the guy without fear of someone breaking out that R word.

now thanks to michael irvin and my boy T.O., we're free to criticize mcnabb once again.

and yes... i'm ready to be flamed.

Terrell Owens was suspended by the Philadelphia Eagles on Saturday for conduct detrimental to the team, a catch-all sanction that team officials imposed after deliberating much of Friday over how to address the latest flap involving their loquacious wide receiver.

Owens, who blasted the organization on Thursday for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch two weeks ago, will miss the Eagles' key Sunday night game against the Washington Redskins.

It is uncertain when -- or if -- he will return to the team.

Agreed.

That Peyton commercial makes me crack up every time I see it. I love the one where he's standing behind a staircase railing fishing for high-fives from the guys in suits, and wearing a giant foam finger.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the eagles got what they asked for... everyone knew what TO was when he came in... i don't want to hear this pitty party from andy reid. if you didn't wanna deal with his bullshit, you shouldn't have traded for him.

Yeah well the guy is an egotistical ass no doubt. And we philly fans realize that and we want him out now. Hes causing much more harm than good. Even though our season is going to shit. We are better off.

Cat fight
Panthers cheerleaders arrested in bar sex incident

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Two Carolina Panthers cheerleaders were arrested after a bar dispute that broke out early Sunday after patrons complained the women were having sex in a bathroom stall, a police arrest report said.

Police reports named the women, but The Tampa Tribune reported officials were checking into whether one of them gave a false identification. One woman was charged with battery, and the other with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Both women were released on bond later Sunday

The women were locked in a stall at about 2:10 a.m. Sunday when other patrons got angry they were taking so long in the bathroom, the police report said. The women left the stall, and one began arguing with another patron of Banana Joe's, eventually hitting that patron in the face with a closed fist, police said.

The incident happened 11 hours before the kickoff of the Panthers' NFL football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The cheerleaders traveled to Tampa on their own because members of the team's Top Cats squad are on the sidelines only at home games.

Panthers officials told The Charlotte Observer at Sunday's game that they were aware of the reported incident, but declined further comment.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/11/06/panthers.cheerleaders.ap/

Ah, goodtimes...goodtimes.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

if the colts win tonight, will peyton manning get one victory in the pick 'em pool?
Well the Colts are currently 7-0, yet Pey-Pey remains winless in the pool, he just doesn't pick very well.

randhail said:
Cat fight
Panthers cheerleaders arrested in bar sex incident

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Two Carolina Panthers cheerleaders were arrested after a bar dispute that broke out early Sunday after patrons complained the women were having sex in a bathroom stall, a police arrest report said.

Police reports named the women, but The Tampa Tribune reported officials were checking into whether one of them gave a false identification. One woman was charged with battery, and the other with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Both women were released on bond later Sunday

The women were locked in a stall at about 2:10 a.m. Sunday when other patrons got angry they were taking so long in the bathroom, the police report said. The women left the stall, and one began arguing with another patron of Banana Joe's, eventually hitting that patron in the face with a closed fist, police said.

The incident happened 11 hours before the kickoff of the Panthers' NFL football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The cheerleaders traveled to Tampa on their own because members of the team's Top Cats squad are on the sidelines only at home games.

Panthers officials told The Charlotte Observer at Sunday's game that they were aware of the reported incident, but declined further comment.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/11/06/panthers.cheerleaders.ap/

Ah, goodtimes...goodtimes.
Let me get this straight...two cheerleaders were having sex with one another in a bathroom stall...then one got into a [CosmoKramervoice] c-c-c-c-catfight[/CosmoKramervoice]

Giddyup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom