The NFL Thread Part IV: Super Bowl Edition.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After going elsewhere online, even ESPN, and talking to my brother from work at an office of football fans, it seems to be unanimous that the officiating sucked and/or was rigged. Seems Dave C is the only one on the other side I've seen. As one guy put it, put an asterix next to this 'championship.' The big game deserves better. Let the guys play it out.

this guy would like to speak to some of you... he thinks you're on to something.

_39022397_oliver_stone_two_203ap.jpg

but, alas, now that i know that the football fans at your brother's office think it was rigged, perhaps i'll change my line of thought.

:coocoo:

I really doubt it was rigged, but I have no doubt it was the poorest officiated Superbowl I've ever watched, and it capped the poorest officiated postseason I've ever watched.

And certain aspects of this postseason were definitely borderline Oliver Stone material, most glaringly the overturn of the Polamalu pick in Indy followed closely by the 1 man Patriot wrecking crew of a back judge in Denver.

I think overall the officiating this postseason was an absolute embarassment to the premier professional sports league in the U.S. and it needs to be dealt with before next September.

well I finally got up and after reading have nothing new to contribute...anthem sucked, officiating sucked, Big Ben sucked, the Stones sucked,the game sucked.

I did really like the streaker Bud ad however. My head hurts-I am going back to bed.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
but, alas, now that i know that the football fans at your brother's office think it was rigged, perhaps i'll change my line of thought.

:coocoo:

Well, they're not like me, they're very intelligent highly educated yuppies, network administrators making close to six figures. And it wasn't they who said it was rigged, it was somebody else I talked to today on another board. I really can't believe you are so hateful to everything I say, even when we don't disagree :crazy:

I'm not saying that the officiating was good, or even remotely close to it. It was awful, there were way too many flags for a Super Bowl.

The OPI call...if I were not the field I wouldn't have called it. But just because I don't think it shouldn't have been called doesn't mean that it COULDN'T have been called. It doesn't mean that it didn't exist. It was a judgment call that could have gone either way, the ref made the call that he thought it was OPI, so it was. Done. That's why we have human referees and not robots out there making calls - because everything is based on judgement.

The Hasselbeck chop block was terrible.

The hold on 1st&G on the 1 was terrible.

The Roethlisburger touchdown was a touchdown.

But, despite all that, the Seahawks still fucked up miserably on both sides of the ball, and THAT is what cost them the game. Not the officials. Anybody who says the officials won/lost the game for either team is full of shit. You don't play like that and expect to win no matter what the officiating is like.

I think dropped passes, missed field goals, a key turnover in the red zone, great ground defense shutting down Shaun Alexander and poor clock management at the end of the first half played a greater role in Seattle's loss than the officiating.

Great teams overcome poor officiating, ask Canada's Women Hockey Team from the 2002 Olympics. Professional athletes have 60 minutes to win a game of football, 2 calls don't determine the game, if they couldn't overcome the setbacks, they didn't want it bad enough. The game was crap regardless who won. An embarrassment for the biggest North American Pro League.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Well, they're not like me, they're very intelligent highly educated yuppies, network administrators making close to six figures. And it wasn't they who said it was rigged, it was somebody else I talked to today on another board. I really can't believe you are so hateful to everything I say, even when we don't disagree :crazy:

again, i don't hate you... i just think you're insane. big difference.

Super Bowl pop culture review

A discussion of the Super Bowl pop culture. U2 is mentioned under "The halftime show"

First, a stroll through the dappled meadows of history ... I generally don't watch this thing. The U2 show was pretty awesome, but otherwise it's a time to make more nachos, hit the can and conduct a preliminary roundup of empty bottles. That said, I do have memories ...

:D

PS: My favorite Super Bowl commericial this year was the Budweiser one with the Clydesdale colt. Awww... :cute:

Sigh, once again, might as well go to bed and start dreaming about next year.

I haven't any dreams left to dream. :sigh:

PinkOrnament.jpg

Hydee ho, going into hybernation until next NFL season :wave: :yawn:

Last edited:
My hat's off to Hines Ward, MVP...
I'm not a huge fan of pro football (college football is my passion--especially University of Georgia Football)
But, I am SOOOO proud of the fact that we (UGA) have seen 2 of our precious Bulldogs reach the pinnacle of SuperBowl MVP in recent years--
Terrell Davis in 1998 and Hines Ward 2006
GOOOOO DAWGS!!!!!
SIC' EM!!!!
WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the sports guy...
Robin Roberts' exclusive interview with Mick Jagger, in which Mick broke the record for "Most people with HDTV staring at someone's face in disbelief." An actual exchange with me and the Sports Gal (making a cameo):

Me: What is that ... is that a vein?
Her: That thing over his right eye?
Me: Yeah.
Her (after a long pause): I ... I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom