The Mullet, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:

The only thing I can think of is the NBA playoffs. I believe they will be on ABC soon, so perhaps that interferes next week.

Because other than that, yeah, no idea.

That makes perfect sense actually.

RavenBlue said:
Ah, true Vazza, but I'm on dialup. I think the estimated time to get a Lost episode would likely run in the decades :giggle:

:yikes:

(and to Ian too - it takes me a few hours if the torrent is really active)

Can you tape it?

coolian2 said:
It took me all night to download a lost episode, and i'm on broadband - although admittedly New Zealand's archaic broadband.

Yeah, we get fucked down here by how much it costs to lay lengthy undersea cables for such a small population. Australia's Internet is somewhat better than New Zealand, but still pathetic compared to Europe, North America, and parts of Asia.

Varitek said:

comments like this make me really glad i didn't get vista when my computer died

Yeah. It looks kind of alright just on the surface, but everything I've heard gives me the impression it runs slower than a wet week.

I want to get a new computer, a laptop, to replace my dying Mac, and it's definitely going to be another Mac.

Axver said:

Yeah. It looks kind of alright just on the surface, but everything I've heard gives me the impression it runs slower than a wet week.

I want to get a new computer, a laptop, to replace my dying Mac, and it's definitely going to be another Mac.

I'm for the most part happy with my macbook, and I'm 100% happy that I shelled out the extra 90 bucks to get the 250 gigs over 160, as I've only got 30 gigs open right now.

I must admit, I do prefer XP over OS X. It feels like it's harder to swap between windows on Mac. I hate having to search for the bloody thing rather than just having it in a neat line at the bottom of screen on the taskbar.

also the range of idiots on that site, from conservative crazies to the guy who thinks "decentralizing cities" and buying local will solve everything to just plain economic ignorance...depressing

Axver said:
I must admit, I do prefer XP over OS X. It feels like it's harder to swap between windows on Mac. I hate having to search for the bloody thing rather than just having it in a neat line at the bottom of screen on the taskbar.

my control-tabbing defined my windows use as much as right-clicking. i was really nervous about right clicking, but it turns out mac solved for it. i didn't remember that control-tabbing on a mac only does applications and not windows, but i've almost adjusted to the feature where you can assign a hot corner to the function that makes all the windows open show up on the screen and then click the one you want. on a laptop the mouse and keyboard are so close that this is almost ok, but i still get annoyed on occasion.

i love the dashboard.

i also am getting used to the different screen dimensions - my pc was longer, which made reading forums and articles easier, so i do have to scroll more. but the widescreen makes movies the same size, and i've found it useful in that a word document takes up half of the screen so i can have an outline or notes file next to the paper i'm writing. but the font is a little on the small side.

Axver said:

WTF. People are stupid.

obviously saving/paying off debt is the way to go, unless you are comfortable enough not to need it for that, in which case you don't need it at all and it should have gone to pay off the national debt and not into your comfortable hands.

but i do get a kick out of all the people on that site that spent it on overseas vacations.

"Put $1000 towards paying off a week long hospitalization for pulmonary embolism than happend 5 years ago. $4000 left to go!"

so very, very, very sad

on the other hand, :lmao:
large_euro_cat.jpg

phanan said:
Great. Now I have to wait two more weeks for the rest of it. That really sucks.

this is why i'm not watching it yet. that and i have no time.

i am hoping that at some point in that 3 hours (well 2:20) of tv they tell us who was in the coffin during the last season finale.

phanan said:

I found out the real reason. Grey's Anatomy's season finale is next week and two hours long, so they held Lost for the following week.

Let Grey's Anatomy wait. :angry:

I don't get why they need 2 hour shows when they could just put each 1 hour over 2 weeks....does a 2 hour show make them more money? or is it just that writers want the freedom of 2 hours for the finale?

Varitek said:

I don't get why they need 2 hour shows when they could just put each 1 hour over 2 weeks....does a 2 hour show make them more money? or is it just that writers want the freedom of 2 hours for the finale?

I think with Lost, the producers realized they couldn't fit everything in the last hour, and had to extend it to two, so they probaby requested that it get aired together.

Varitek said:

my control-tabbing defined my windows use as much as right-clicking. i was really nervous about right clicking, but it turns out mac solved for it. i didn't remember that control-tabbing on a mac only does applications and not windows, but i've almost adjusted to the feature where you can assign a hot corner to the function that makes all the windows open show up on the screen and then click the one you want. on a laptop the mouse and keyboard are so close that this is almost ok, but i still get annoyed on occasion.

OK, frankly, you've lost me.

Here's the way things are for me.

On Windows XP, I have all the windows nicely together on the taskbar at the bottom of screen at all times. I always run at least two Firefox windows: one with Gmail and associated things in a series of tabs, and one with LJ, Interference, and other Internet sites I frequent together in a series of tabs. Normally, I'll end up with a whole myriad of windows for various programs open at once, including a few extra Firefox windows (like one for all my JSTOR tabs). To switch windows simply requires a single click on the appropriate window in the taskbar, or if there's a lot open and they've gone into a little menu, two clicks - one to the relevant program like Firefox, and one to the appropriately labelled window.

On Mac OS X, however, changing between all these windows is A PAIN IN THE FUCKING ARSE. I hit F9 and suddenly I have all these windows up on screen together, and I have to guess which is the right one. If I have a lot open, I'll end up guessing and cycling through multiple windows before I find the right one. Switching windows doesn't take a single second and becomes a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom