The Diminishing Divas Thread - First Diet Coke & Bacardi Is On The House!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New cd's, what did you get, Pax? :drool:

I might go and do that workout dvd my sister has later :shifty:

I got the new (well, not really new anymore, but new to me) Frames CD, Burn the Maps (and Set List as well, because it was on sale at the music store and I didn't have it yet), plus Tori Amos's new one.

Haven't listened to any of them yet, except Burn the Maps, and I fell asleep on it anyway.

I just got the arcade fires album, it hasn't come out here yet though and I've been wanting to own a copy for ages. Good choices, I really like Tori Amos.

Lara Mullen said:

Do you eat Quinoa? It's full of protein and apparently it's very popular with vegetarians, I have it maybe once a week with a plate of veg. It's a nice change, it's quite fluffy like rice and really easy to prepare. I also like seeds like sunflower and pumpkin seeds. I would take a handful every couple of days. I could only find them at a quite expensive price in health food shops but our shop in the Students Union sells them so I brought a few packs home for us, they sell really well actually, there is a real market for those health conscious students. Sorry, I'm rambling :slant:

:hmm: I've never heard of that but then again I don't usually go to the health food stores. There's a few organic places right by where I live. I wonder if they would have that.

I just had toast with peanut butter and honey for breakfast. I don't deserve to be in the club, do i?

:sexywink:

ladywithspinninghead said:
I don't want to have a target pounds-wise as such because when I work out I do a lot of strength training and muscle weighs more than fat so the scale would be deceiving :shrug:

I am the same!!! I mostly want to tone up the midsection a bit more I think.

Bowl of granola for breakfast; but that is what I eat every day for breakfast so nothing new....

arw9797 said:

:hmm: I've never heard of that but then again I don't usually go to the health food stores. There's a few organic places right by where I live. I wonder if they would have that.

It's pronounced Keen-wah, I can get the organic kind in the large supermarket here and if you can find it in Northern Ireland I'm sure a large supermarket would probably stock it near where you live, if not the health food shops definately will :)

Here's a litle blurb about it:

Nutritionally, quinoa might be considered a supergrain--although it is not really a grain, but the seed of a leafy plant that's distantly related to spinach. Quinoa has excellent reserves of protein, and unlike other grains, is not missing the amino aicd lysine, so the protein is more complete (a trait it shares with other "non-true" grains such as buckwheat and amaranth). The World Health Organization has rated the quality of protein in quinoa at least equivalent to that in milk. Quinoa offers more iron than other grains and contains high levels of potassium and riboflavin, as well as other B vitamins: B6, niacin, and thiamin. It is also a good source of magnesium, zinc, copper, and manganese, and has some folate (folic acid).

An ancient grainlike product that has recently been "rediscovered" in this country, quinoa has a light, delicate taste, and can be substituted for almost any other grain.

Though quinoa is a recent addition to the North American larder, this crop, native to the Andes, sustained the ancient Incas, and has been cultivated continuously for more than 5,000 years. Quinoa thrives in poor soil, arid climates, and mountainous altitudes. Today, most quinoa is imported from South America, although it is being cultivated on the high slopes of the Colorado Rockies.

Quinoa grains are about the same size as millet, but flattened, with a pointed, oval shape. The color ranges from pale yellow through red and brown to black. Quinoa cooks quickly to a light, fluffy texture. As it cooks, the external germ, which forms a band around each grain, spirals out, forming a tiny crescent-shaped "tail," similar to a bean sprout. Although the grain itself is soft and creamy, the tail is crunchy, providing a unique texture to complement quinoa's delicate flavor.

I suck. I slept in again this morning. :|

I had breakfast though. 2 Eggs, one mug of Green Hot Tea, one slice of multi-grain toast with a little bit of strawberry jelly.

I also took a vitamin. I will do my walk later on today. That I do promise.

Laura, I will have to look for Quinoa it looks interesting.

It's a bit tasteless but I eat it with onions, brocoli and carrots on top and I like it.

Sometimes I feel like the food rep or something, I think I introduced Sicy to milky bars and April to Jaffa Cakes :lol:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Kris, you're the one who told me not to be afraid of peanut butter! :sad:

I just bought a jar of the reduced fat stuff, it's SO not the same. *sniffs*

My stomach was growling during the writer's circle, so I'm scarfing down some yogurt before going to lunch with my mom. :shh:

Yes, it's true--you should not be afraid of peanut butter!!! But I just had two big pieces with lots of honey. PB's better in small quantities (like a tablespoon--I love to throw it in smoothies). I need to learn how to reduce my portion sizes, that's all.

:kiss:

Rice and chicken with vegetables :applaud:

but with white creamy sauce :drool: :down:

I think I am eating out of sheer boredom for not wanting to do this paper. I almost ate the whole thing but luckily have just gained control, stopped myself, and am putting the rest away :up:

Lara Mullen said:
It's a bit tasteless but I eat it with onions, brocoli and carrots on top and I like it.

Sometimes I feel like the food rep or something, I think I introduced Sicy to milky bars and April to Jaffa Cakes :lol:

Right you are, Laura! :lol:

PB in smoothies... :drool: I'ma gonna hafta try that, Kris. :hmm:

I took my mom out to lunch this afternoon and got a grilled chicken with portabella mushrooms and swiss cheese. I cut the sandwich in half when I got it and put the other half in the box *pats self on back* but then my mom and I split a plate of fries.

I love the title of this thread

I don't think you necessarily need to eliminate meat to lose weight. I do think it's very helpful to incorporate more veggies in your diet, though. We eat so much meat - and the portions are wayyy too big. I think the rule is the portion should never be larger than 3oz, which is approximately the size of a deck of cards.

I started going to Curves about 1 year and 3 months ago, and I have lost 10 pounds and 7% of body fat. I actually lost 10 pounds in one year just by exercising 2 or 3 times a week, and have stayed the same for the last 5 months, just recently hitting the median body fat for my age/height. I'm thinking of switching to the gym at work, which is cheaper and has more intensity that I think I now need. But I loved Curves b/c it was only 30 minutes workouts, and I want to go into the gym knowing I will be out asap!!!

Exercise = (usually) best way to lose weight.

They say that after the first three weeks of doing something it has become a habit and you will have no problem continuing it.

Also, someone told me recently exercising is like brushing your teeth, "it's not an option."

Finally, I recently read Oprah and this awesome tidbit: you know how when someone gets addicted to drugs, they need more and more of it for them to reach the same high? It's the exact opposite with exercise. You get more and more out of the same amount of exercise the further you continue it. And it flows over into other areas of your life, releaving stress and (certain types of) depression. Never mind how damn good it makes you feel! :flirt:

U2Girl1978 said:
Can you lose weight by being a vegetarian? I am looking to lose at least 15 lbs by the time May comes. I need ideas!

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! :no:

I became a vegetarian at 14 (I'm 30 now). I was an average size then. Within a few years I was a lot bigger and have been on the heavier side since then. Most of the foods I replaced meat with were carbs. I eat tons of fruits and vegetables. There's only a small number of each that I really won't eat. But you can't just eat that. It gets old and you're always hungry if you just eat that. I used to eat pasta just about everyday. I do eat cheese and peanut butter for protein but even that's not enough to keep me from being hungry all the time.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

PB in smoothies... :drool: I'ma gonna hafta try that, Kris. :hmm:

I like plain nonfat yogurt, half a banana, some sugar free instant coffee (like international cafe french vanilla) and a tablespoon of PB. Also my latest favorite is yogurt and/or milk (soy milk works beautifully as well), a tablespoon of chocolate protein powder, then the PB and banana.

:drool:

Last edited:
If you want to lose weight, you really need to get into power training. A steady regimen of weight lifting will do wonders for you combined with cardio and proper eating habits.

And actually, if you do a lot of lifting, you probably already have a six pack. The problem with a six pack is that even if you have a tiny bit of fat, it will be covered up. And to maintain one like Janet Jackson's is pretty much a full time job. I gave up on that fantasy long ago. :wink:

Bono's American Wife said:

I'm the same spot you are...I lost 25 pounds so easily a year ago and now I can't seem to lose an ounce.

I lost 25 pounds two years ago on weight watchers, it's a slow process, but it does work.

Unfortunately, that was two years ago. I got bored with weight watchers, stopped going, and have gained all the weight back and then some :(.

And that is f:censored:ing depressing :|

Pass that diet coke with lime!

U2Girl1978 said:
Can you lose weight by being a vegetarian? I am looking to lose at least 15 lbs by the time May comes. I need ideas!

I don't know about vegetarianism, but I lost alot of weight during my vegan period, mainly because it eliminates alot of high cal foods.

anitram said:
If you want to lose weight, you really need to get into power training. A steady regimen of weight lifting will do wonders for you combined with cardio and proper eating habits.

And actually, if you do a lot of lifting, you probably already have a six pack. The problem with a six pack is that even if you have a tiny bit of fat, it will be covered up. And to maintain one like Janet Jackson's is pretty much a full time job. I gave up on that fantasy long ago. :wink:

That's very true. I had tried everything in the book but it was only when I started working out at home on a regular basis, doing videos which incorporate strength training that I noticed major visible changes in my body (that I lost when I got sick last summer and I'm trying to get back!). The bonus with muscles is that you lose more calories at rest than you do without - i.e. you burn calories even when you're inactive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom