The 2008 NHL Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoManiac said:

Why don't you Google the root word, plagiate, and find out? :wink:

I google'd plagiation and I got the message "are you sure you don't mean plantation" then I went to dictionary.com and it said the word doesn't exist :p:

ETA: I did as you said, tres drole! :lol:

I could google "shitty refs" but why, when I can look at the Bell Centre and see some? PP with a minute left, horseshit.

CTU2fan said:
I could google "shitty refs" but why, when I can look at the Bell Centre and see some? PP with a minute left, horseshit.

Thanks to Richards and his knee :wink:

Go habs go! (Kovalev should complete his hattrick in overtime :drool: )

WOOOOO! Sweet comeback!

I just googled "sports-induced bitterness." A giant Flyers logo kept coming up. :wink:

Detroit just beat the Avs...another great series shaping up there. :drool:

CTU2fan said:

It was a blatant penalty. Why wouldn't they call it? Minute left or not, a penalty is a penalty.

ladywithspinninghead said:

Don Cherry wearing a Habs tie :shocked:

As much as I despise Don Cherry, I have to admit that I laughed when I saw that.

EDIT: Oh, and it's great to see that Theodore is still a total sissy. :rolleyes: When they were showing the replays on CBC, I actually felt a wave of sympathy for the Avs fans. It used to be me cringing like that whenever Theo reached behind himself and flopped about uselessly while the puck trickled into the net.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
EDIT: Oh, and it's great to see that Theodore is still a total sissy. :rolleyes: When they were showing the replays on CBC, I actually felt a wave of sympathy for the Avs fans. It used to be me cringing like that whenever Theo reached behind himself and flopped about uselessly while the puck trickled into the net.

It was the team that sent him to the hotel because he was fighting the flu.

GibsonGirl said:

It was a blatant penalty. Why wouldn't they call it? Minute left or not, a penalty is a penalty.

Not when you swallow the whistle for the entire 3rd. I saw several penalties let go down the stretch, an elbow in particular about 2 minutes or so before the Richards penalty.

I was going to ask you guys if the old Forum ghosts moved over to the Centre...guess I got my answer :wink:

Never did like Kovalev much...this doesn't help :) Hell of a shot though, give him credit. Well, still early yet...would have been great to steal that game, especially since the Flyers weren't playing particularly well. You need to take advantage of that and they didn't.

BonoManiac said:

It was the team that sent him to the hotel because he was fighting the flu.

Oh. In that case, I apologise for what I said. I thought Theo was just being a naff as usual. :lol: However, if he was that sick (stomach, I'm assuming?) he shouldn't have even been playing in the first place.

GibsonGirl said:

Oh. In that case, I apologise for what I said. I thought Theo was just being a naff as usual. :lol: However, if he was that sick (stomach, I'm assuming?) he shouldn't have even been playing in the first place.

This is the playoffs, where players try and play through injuries, or in this case illnesses, that would normally sideline them in the regular season. The team sent him to the hotel, obviously because once it was apparent how sick he was, they didn't want him infecting the entire team. And yes, apparently, it was the stomach flu.

BonoManiac said:

This is the playoffs, where players try and play through injuries, or in this case illnesses, that would normally sideline them in the regular season. The team sent him to the hotel, obviously because once it was apparent how sick he was, they didn't want him infecting the entire team. And yes, apparently, it was the stomach flu.

Yeah, I know it's the playoffs. You don't mess around with stomach flus, though. It's one thing to play with a sprained wrist or a broken rib...there's not much you can do when you feel like being sick. It clearly cost the Avs the game in this situation.

Hey, I have a question, Stephanie. Are you a native South African? If so, how did you become a hockey fan, and by extension a Montreal Canadiens fan once you moved to Newfoundland?

I'm always curious how people start rooting for teams that are outside their own geographic locations.

And, anyway, whatever your reasons, you made a very good choice! :up::wink:

Yep, I'm a native South African. I became a hockey fan because it's near impossible to get rugby on TV here, and I need something to cheer for! :wink: I appreciate hockey for the same reasons I appreciate rugby - it's fast paced, aggressive, and a joy to watch when a team is really clicking. Almost everyone is a Leafs fan in the town where I live... I remember watching a few of their games to see if I could understand why everyone went so berserk over them. They lost every game I watched, so I reckoned they weren't as good as everyone seemed to think they were and started rooting for the Habs out of spite. :lol: Then I learnt a little bit more about Montreal's history and started supporting the team for its merits, rather than to simply piss off the Leafs fans.

angelordevil said:
I just googled "sports-induced bitterness." A giant Flyers logo kept coming up. :wink:

I'm sure if you scrolled a little further down the page you'd also find Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers logos there too. :wink:

Tonight's the last hockey games I might get to see of the entire playoffs. Friggin' army not letting us have TV's at boot camp :angry:

BonoManiac said:

Remember when Patrick had his appendix out and played? One of many examples...

ladywithspinninghead said:
Do you get access to a computer at least so you can see the results?

I will occasionally but not on a daily basis. There's an internet cafe on base that I can use but I'm sure I'll be so busy the first few weeks that I won't have much time to go.

I would prefer to see the Rangers win, but I picked Pittsburgh to win this series at the start of the playoffs and I think the Pens probably still will win it. Either way I think it's going to be a long one (six or seven).

It's a shame you won't be there for the World Championships, Dave. Team Canada is stacked this year (well, stacked with players from non-playoff teams, anyway) and it should be a great tournament for Halifax and Quebec City.

I'll be going up to see a bunch of games, including the Gold Medal game, in Quebec City. :hyper:

BonoManiac said:
It's a shame you won't be there for the World Championships, Dave. Team Canada is stacked this year (well, stacked with players from non-playoff teams, anyway) and iot should be a great tournament for Halifax and Quebec City.

I'll be going up to see a bunch of games, including the Gold Medal game, in Quebec City. :hyper:

I know. My dad is the head of the volunteer committee that acts as the liaison between TSN and the IIHF (they also make the official recordings of all the games on DVD for the IIHF), and for both the '03 World Juniors and the '04 Womens' Worlds he got me on the committee. In exchange for turning a couple floodlights on before every intermission and the end of the games so that media types could do their interviews, I got into every single game absolutely free, including the gold medal games. The '03 WJHC game (Canada vs Russia - Ovechkin played for Russia) was unbelievable, I've never been at a sporting event where the atmosphere was so incredible. Unfortunately Canada lost 4-2, but it was unreal. Luckily Canada won during the Women's tournament, but the building wasn't filled to capacity and the crowd wasn't quite as into it as they were during the Juniors, but it was still a great event and made me feel real proud.

It would be the same thing this time, except I'm leaving six days before the tournament starts. :angry:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom