The 2008 MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Lackey said:
I guarantee the only reason Headache, Hewson and phanan are picking Seattle over LAA is that I'm on this board.

:wink: :wave: :whistle: :bonodrum:
Well John, I may have to amend my AL West prediction.
Now that Kelvim "why didn't my mother use an N instead of an M" Escobar's career is over, I may just have to slide you and your cohorts behind Texas, and maybe even behind Oakland.
Gonna be a long summer there in Northern Mexico John.

Hewson said:
Well John, I may have to amend my AL West prediction.
Now that Kelvim "why didn't my mother use an N instead of an M" Escobar's career is over, I may just have to slide you and your cohorts behind Texas, and maybe even behind Oakland.
Gonna be a long summer there in Northern Mexico John.

Seattle has to now be a slight favorite to win the division - that is, if McLaren doesn't eff things up.

Still laughing at the fact that during the most critical Mariners/Angels series last season (in August), McLaren refused to bring in Putz in the first two games because he wanted to "save" him for the right situation. Angels swept and Seattle's season was over.

The Mclaren factor may win us the division yet. :wink:

White people should also not name themselves Dog.

dog-bounty-arrested.jpg

:yuck:

John Lackey said:

Seattle has to now be a slight favorite to win the division - that is, if McLaren doesn't eff things up.

Still laughing at the fact that during the most critical Mariners/Angels series last season (in August), McLaren refused to bring in Putz in the first two games because he wanted to "save" him for the right situation. Angels swept and Seattle's season was over.

The Mclaren factor may win us the division yet. :wink:

Might've had something to do with the overworked bullpen. But now we've got 5 good, solid starters. I don't think the bullpen will be overworked this year. Looking forward to seeing your team at the bottom. :wink:

Hopefully Josh Beckett can rehab quickly and not miss too much.
Same with Schilling too but Lester is looking good along with Clay Bucholtz (spelled it wrong).

Anyone see the Lenny Dykstra interview on HBO?

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television.

I am jumping into this thread with a full heart.

Your guys predictions aren't bad but you are all under-estimating the South Side Hitmen.

N. Swisher
O. Cabrera
J. Thome
P. Konerko
J. Dye
A. Pierzynski
J. Crede

= a lineup of proven, veteran hitters that will surprise a lot of people this year.

Add in an emboldened bullpen and the incoherent vocal stylings of Ozzie Guillen and you've got yourselves the dark horse of the 2008 MLB season.

GirlsAloudFan said:

Your guys predictions aren't bad but you are all under-estimating the South Side Hitmen.

N. Swisher
O. Cabrera
J. Thome
P. Konerko
J. Dye
A. Pierzynski
J. Crede

= a lineup of proven, veteran hitters that will surprise a lot of people this year.

Add in an emboldened bullpen and the incoherent vocal stylings of Ozzie Guillen and you've got yourselves the dark horse of the 2008 MLB season.

So, a team that finished 24 games out that kept the exact same lineup going into this year is all of a sudden going to make the playoffs over the Detroit Tigers and Cleveland Indians eh?

I'll definitely take that bet. :lol:

DaveC said:

So, a team that finished 24 games out that kept the exact same lineup going into this year is all of a sudden going to make the playoffs over the Detroit Tigers and Cleveland Indians eh?

Not the exact same lineup. At all.

DaveC said:

I'd be wary about taking that bet...if Nick Swisher can add 150 runs to the White Sox offense and pitch about 250 innings at a 4.00-4.50 ERA, Chicago will be right in the thick of things.

Last edited:
GirlsAloudFan said:

N. Swisher
O. Cabrera
J. Thome
P. Konerko
J. Dye
A. Pierzynski
J. Crede

Of course the lack of quality starting pitching will have the Chisox at 78-84.

I won't make fun of the White Sox yet...

Everyone keeps talking up the Cubs this year. This makes me nervous. I do think the lineup is strong. But a lot depends on how Theriot and Fukudome play.

But the pitching is what scares me. Zambrano is good. But after him...Lilly and Hill are the next best and I am worried they won't be near as good as last year. And then...Dempster and Marquis...last time Dempster was a starter...5.00 era was a good day.

I don't know. I just take comfort in the fact that I really don't think we have to worry about the Pirates, Reds or the Cardinals. Just those Brewers.

Ok, I'll leave since I think I might be the only one who cares.

Predictions:-

AL;- Boston, Cleveland, Seattle. Detroit for the WC.

NL;- Philly, Cubs, Arizona. Mets for WC.

Cleveland-Cubs World Series.

phillyfan26 said:
Anyone see the Lenny Dykstra interview on HBO?

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television.

I saw that a couple of weeks ago. Lenny doesn't look the healthiest, but he's doing pretty well in the financial world.

AL

East - Red Sox
Central - Tigers
West - Mariners
WC - Indians

NL

East - Mets
Central - Cubs
West - Diamondbacks
WC - Braves

World Series

Mets over Red Sox

Got Philk? said:
I won't make fun of the White Sox yet...

Everyone keeps talking up the Cubs this year. This makes me nervous. I do think the lineup is strong. But a lot depends on how Theriot and Fukudome play.

But the pitching is what scares me. Zambrano is good. But after him...Lilly and Hill are the next best and I am worried they won't be near as good as last year. And then...Dempster and Marquis...last time Dempster was a starter...5.00 era was a good day.

I don't know. I just take comfort in the fact that I really don't think we have to worry about the Pirates, Reds or the Cardinals. Just those Brewers.

Ok, I'll leave since I think I might be the only one who cares.

Brewers fan here, so at least one cares. I can't believe how the media is almost universally picking the Cub in the central this year when last year it was pretty mixed bag as to who was going to win. The Brewers had the central in their grasp almost the entire year last year before a number of factors led to their demise. The only real piece missing from last year is Cordero, but our bullpen looks a lot better at the start of this year than last year. And our rotation's going to be stacked with young talented arms provided they can stay healthy. I think we'll be set with hitting--even Jason Kendall seems to have regained some of his old form. As for the Cubs, they've got some real question marks in the rotation. They've got good hitters, but I wonder if a lot of experts are putting a little too much faith in Fukudome to bolster their offense. If he turns out to be the next Ichiro that's certainly one thing, but I think it's more likely that he'll be an average to good hitter this year. I guess I just don't think people are giving the Brewers a fair shake right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom