Te Urewera National Park Chat Superthread - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #481
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

It doesn't help that you guys ripped out most of your trams and are left with just the green line and that Mattapan stub off part of the red line. Looks like you've got good commuter trains there, both above ground and underground. Melbourne also has an extensive commuter rail network, which I haven't explored much as I am served much better by trams in the inner suburbs.

And wow, go MA. That's pretty impressive. Still, you just gave the world Mitt Romney.

I wish I'd seen more of the Emerald Necklace. I was referring to the Boston Common. Founded in, what, 1635? Abel Tasman didn't sight New Zealand until 1642 and European settlement didn't seriously begin until 1840. Hell, not even the Maori migrated there until about AD 1000. Boston struck me as astonishingly old, it was amazing. I bet Europe would blow me away completely.
wow you actually know about the mattapan stub?? i've ridden it a few times to see friends that live out there, but last i knew they'd shut it down for shuttle busses.

we didn't give the world mitt romeny, utah did. anyway there is a good explaination for it, sad but still makes sense, but i can't be bothered to type it now.

the emerald necklace is awesome, i repeat...such a fucking clever thing to put in a city.

my high school was founded in 1635. dunno about the garden but that wiki page should tell you.

boston's the oldest city in america pretty much, and i grew up around it, but i was still blown away by europe the first few times I went. Now I just think america is young...and the west coast is ridiculous, old is like 30 years! my house is like 250 years old, it's the 2nd or 3rd oldest on our block.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #482
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
oh and if you're ever in boston again and i'm actually there i'll take you on a tour of the train line, to the train yards, etc and to see the new silver line.

wow i can't wait for the boy/october/war remasters, i'm listening to october right now and it could use it.
*books trip to Boston*

That silver line is going to serve the airport, right? Would've been bloody handy if it had existed in 2005 ...

And yes, I'm dying for those remasters. And the bonus tracks. Especially the bonus tracks, in fact.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #483
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2
I've been north of Inverness in Scotland and as far south as Dunedin.

That's not a bad effort.
that is good. some day i'll make it down to your continent. also antartica, south africa, and south america.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #484
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:42 PM
Trains aren't half as cool as planes.

Although i LOVE the Britomart train station in Auckland. My school ball / formal was held there, and we filmed a movie in it for uni. Filming in Britomart is such a fucking cliche, although every time i'm inside it i can't believe it was the same place my school ball was.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #485
Blue Crack Supplier

I think the furthest north I've been is Edinburgh... And south would be Hobart, I guess.

I'd love to do one of those flights over Antarctica... not so sure I'd be very keen to actually get out and walk around, though. I don't like the cold...

Hey Ian
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #486
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

*books trip to Boston*

That silver line is going to serve the airport, right? Would've been bloody handy if it had existed in 2005 ...

And yes, I'm dying for those remasters. And the bonus tracks. Especially the bonus tracks, in fact.
i think it did exist then, if not then very soon after. it's actually a piece of shit in my opinion, the one time i took it, it took for bloody ever to change from road/fuel to electric/underground. but it's a pretty cool concept.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #487
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Although i LOVE the Britomart train station in Auckland. My school ball / formal was held there, and we filmed a movie in it for uni. Filming in Britomart is such a fucking cliche, although every time i'm inside it i can't believe it was the same place my school ball was.
i've engaged in sexual activity on a train (amtrak) but not a plane.

plane is at the top of my to-do list though.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #488
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Andrew's in the other direction from the river, which makes sense if you were going for a cheap hotel. I have never been to Bunker Hill but Boston does get the silliest school holiday ever - bunker hill day in june which usually is a day off about 4 days before the end of the school year. it's like, get it over with already!

i'm still jealous of 3rd boston.

i've been as far south as right below the equator. i was a huge geek and poored water down a drain on both sides and right on the equator - it's quite disconcerting to see it shoot straight down! actually i guess i was on a plane that was at the nairobi airoport for a bit so that was a little further south.

some day i'll go to antartica.
Yeah, we badly needed a cheap hotel. It was only a couple of minutes' walk from Andrew station and it wasn't hard to get to the Fleet Centre. Surely the hardest venue out of all that I saw U2 at to access was Auckland. Actually, I take that back, Brisbane was even worse but as my mother was coming, she had a car so I didn't have to worry about public transport.

If you think Bunker Hill Day is bad, Melbourne's got Melbourne Cup Day. Let's have a day off to watch a horse race! But I'm not complaining.

Well, glad to know that despite the fact you're ridiculously more well traveled than I am, I can still beat you on something! I'd love to go to Antarctica. And I don't mean one of those pissy tourist flights that goes over it and doesn't land. I want to set foot on Antarctica.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #489
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Hey Ian
Hello.

I can't believe last year was only the second time i set my feet on the NZ South Island. That's crazy.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #490
Vocal parasite

Quote:

i think it did exist then, if not then very soon after. it's actually a piece of shit in my opinion, the one time i took it, it took for bloody ever to change from road/fuel to electric/underground. but it's a pretty cool concept.
If it did exist/was under construction in May 2005, it wasn't open to the public yet. I had to wait forever for somebody from my hotel to pick me up. And I flew in the afternoon of the first U2 gig! Thank God I had seats. Got there with half an hour to spare.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #491
Vocal parasite

Quote:

EPIC PHAIL. Trains own planes. Trains are far more comfortable and environmentally friendly than planes. And when was the last time you saw a steam plane? Yeah, that's right, never. Steam locomotives ...

And your formal was in BRITOMART? Wow. I've been through Britomart once, looks like they did a nice job there. Thank fuck they're electrifying the Auckland network though, because diesel engines underground isn't too smart. I also hope they soon put in the underground extension to the western line, I think it's meant to come out at Mt Eden station.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #492
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Yeah, we badly needed a cheap hotel. It was only a couple of minutes' walk from Andrew station and it wasn't hard to get to the Fleet Centre. Surely the hardest venue out of all that I saw U2 at to access was Auckland. Actually, I take that back, Brisbane was even worse but as my mother was coming, she had a car so I didn't have to worry about public transport.

If you think Bunker Hill Day is bad, Melbourne's got Melbourne Cup Day. Let's have a day off to watch a horse race! But I'm not complaining.

Well, glad to know that despite the fact you're ridiculously more well traveled than I am, I can still beat you on something! I'd love to go to Antarctica. And I don't mean one of those pissy tourist flights that goes over it and doesn't land. I want to set foot on Antarctica.
you could have taken the blue line from the airport to the green line to the red line. it's fucking annoying though. i've also always wanted to pretend i'm going to one of the fancy hotels downtown so i can take their shuttle - it's super easy to get to my house from there on the bus or greenline.

i AM complaining about bunker hill day, or I was when I was in school, because I just wanted summer.

Yeah it doesn't count unless you actually set foot there. and I don't count airports either or I'd have to add a few more places to my list of places i've been.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #493
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Surely the hardest venue out of all that I saw U2 at to access was Auckland. Actually, I take that back, Brisbane was even worse but as my mother was coming, she had a car so I didn't have to worry about public transport.
I love and hate the location of Mt Smart. I love the location because there is so much room to expand the stadium and the parking/access + you can get cheap parking in almost every industry carpark. Plus there are no nearby residents to bitch about noise.

I'd hate it if i didn't have the ability to drive there. But it's about a 20 minute easy drive.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #494
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

EPIC PHAIL. Trains own planes. Trains are far more comfortable and environmentally friendly than planes. And when was the last time you saw a steam plane? Yeah, that's right, never. Steam locomotives ...
good luck getting to europe or north america on a train.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #495
Vocal parasite

Quote:
wow you actually know about the mattapan stub?? i've ridden it a few times to see friends that live out there, but last i knew they'd shut it down for shuttle busses.

we didn't give the world mitt romeny, utah did. anyway there is a good explaination for it, sad but still makes sense, but i can't be bothered to type it now.

the emerald necklace is awesome, i repeat...such a fucking clever thing to put in a city.

my high school was founded in 1635. dunno about the garden but that wiki page should tell you.

boston's the oldest city in america pretty much, and i grew up around it, but i was still blown away by europe the first few times I went. Now I just think america is young...and the west coast is ridiculous, old is like 30 years! my house is like 250 years old, it's the 2nd or 3rd oldest on our block.
Yeah, I noticed the maps of the red line had two branches, so I looked up the Mattapan stub. I didn't get the time to ride it, though. I hear it was closed down just for repairs. Looking on Wikipedia now, it says services resumed on December 2007.

Melbourne's got shitloads of parklands around the central city too. It's just fantastic. It makes it look so much more attractive than an ugly hole like Brisbane.

And wow, a high school from 1635? A 250 year old house? Holy shit, that boggles the mind. I'm just impressed to walk into a house and hear "this was built in the 1860s" or whatever. But that's what you get when you come from New Zealand and even the 18th century is ancient history.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread