Sugar Tit, SC superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:

The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, and Boomerang II all should have definitely been on the album:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Pride (In the Name of Love)
3. Wire
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. Promenade
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Boomerang II
9. Bass Trap
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Bad

I think for my own UF, I'd consider something like this:

1. The Three Sunrises
2. Pride
3. Boomerang II
4. Indian Summer Sky
5. Wire
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Promenade
8. Bass Trap
9. A Sort Of Homecoming
10. Love Comes Tumbling
11. Bad

But that's just very quick off the top of my very tired head. I haven't played with UF's track order in quite a while. I still stand by my big one that includes all the b-sides, and looking at my revisionist history, the UF there isn't quite my ideal, but it's done in such a way that I have enough material for b-sides.

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, the sequencing hurts ISS more than its own sound. I'm probably biased though because I've never cared for it. It's a shame that they never played it enough live for it to improve its reputation; they basically left it for dead.

They didn't even really try with ISS. Live, it also suffered from bizarre placement most of the time.

I think for much of the UF-era material, they really didn't have much of a clue what to do with it live, and have never put the effort into figuring out what to do, as evidenced by its stark absence from setlists outside of Pride and Bad.

Super baffling 2004 U2 moments:

- Vertigo over Native Son
- Album ABOY's lyrics over alternate ABOY's lyrics
- WHERE THE FUCK IS SMILE?

Axver said:

They didn't even really try with ISS. Live, it also suffered from bizarre placement most of the time.

I think for much of the UF-era material, they really didn't have much of a clue what to do with it live, and have never put the effort into figuring out what to do, as evidenced by its stark absence from setlists outside of Pride and Bad.

Talking about this reminds me of the atrocious version of ASOH from the 2001 Slane gigs. Oh, damn. They really should have tried harder with that song in particular, because it's an amazing anthem. Definitely a top 15/20 song for me.

LemonMelon said:

Talking about this reminds me of the atrocious version of ASOH from the 2001 Slane gigs. Oh, damn. They really should have tried harder with that song in particular, because it's an amazing anthem. Definitely a top 15/20 song for me.

The main problem at Slane was that Bono clearly hadn't even bothered to rehearse the lyrics. At least he had an excuse in Oakland, as it was unplanned and a fan had been pulled on stage to play guitar. But in Slane, it was inexcusable. I wish they would put effort into doing ASOH live more often as it's amazing.

I'm glad Bono didn't give One Tree Hill the same treatment in 2006, and instead actually tried.

Axver said:

The main problem at Slane was that Bono clearly hadn't even bothered to rehearse the lyrics. At least he had an excuse in Oakland, as it was unplanned and a fan had been pulled on stage to play guitar. But in Slane, it was inexcusable. I wish they would put effort into doing ASOH live more often as it's amazing.

I'm glad Bono didn't give One Tree Hill the same treatment in 2006, and instead actually tried.

I find it amazing that Bono remembered the lyrics to One Tree Hill, but couldn't even get through Walk On. :lol: He takes his memory for granted, methinks.

LemonMelon said:

I find it amazing that Bono remembered the lyrics to One Tree Hill, but couldn't even get through Walk On. :lol: He takes his memory for granted, methinks.

I think it's just that he hates rehearsing. People who I take seriously have posted as much in the past. For One Tree Hill, I think he knew it was too significant to fuck up! And I wonder if he had the lyrics on a monitor anyway?

Axver said:

I think it's just that he hates rehearsing. People who I take seriously have posted as much in the past. For One Tree Hill, I think he knew it was too significant to fuck up! And I wonder if he had the lyrics on a monitor anyway?

Chalk it up to my growing increase in cynicism, but I'm starting to lose faith in Bono's ability to remember his own songs, and taking greater stock in the monitor rumors, so I'm betting he did.

LemonMelon said:

Chalk it up to my growing increase in cynicism, but I'm starting to lose faith in Bono's ability to remember his own songs, and taking greater stock in the monitor rumors, so I'm betting he did.

This is one of the ultimate baffling U2 things: Bono's inability to recall his own lyrics. When you pour yourself into a song, you should be able to remember the damn thing, right? I see songwriters like Neil Finn or Steven Wilson who can sing just about any song they wrote. Hell, Dream Theater's James LaBrie has only written about five of the band's songs, and yet has no trouble remembering a single word of over fifty songs on tour. Meanwhile, Bono bumbles around in ignorance, incapable of remembering songs he's just written! It's embarrassing.

phillyfan26 said:
What did you think of Ours? I'm listening to that today or tomorrow.

I mostly enjoyed the album, though a couple of tracks were duds. The vocalist has a very strong voice.

I've got a math tutor for about an hour, then I'll be back to finish up homework and jump into some more of this music.

phillyfan26 said:
I've got a math tutor for about an hour, then I'll be back to finish up homework and jump into some more of this music.

You should go fuck yourself. You know, work that into your day. Have you given that any thought, THE AMENDMENT? Have you? Scum.

Hey, New South Wales, why don't you get back to your job pushing a dying medium? Must be fulfilling.

:hug: Glad to see you around again.

LemonMelon said:
Hey, New South Wales, why don't you get back to your job pushing a dying medium? Must be fulfilling.

:hug: Glad to see you around again.

Good to be seen. Hope all is well with you. How is Jim Zorn treating you?

No spoken words said:

Good to be seen. Hope all is well with you. How is Jim Zorn treating you?

First three draft picks, all receivers. He doesn't disappoint.

No spoken words said:

You should go fuck yourself. You know, work that into your day. Have you given that any thought, THE AMENDMENT? Have you? Scum.

You're back! :wave:

phillyfan26 said:
What did you think of Ours? I'm listening to that today or tomorrow.

If you like singers with incredible voices, you'll like it. :shrug:

the tourist said:

You're back! :wave:

Hey man.

I'm back for a bit today, but, this just qualifies as my appearance for the month of May. I'll be back in June. :)

Can you call Putz and ask him to pitch better, please? He's not helping my fantasy baseball cause.

phillyfan26 said:
TTYW would have fit pretty well on RAH with Heartland and Silver and Gold.

Silver and Gold, yes. Heartland? No. Heartland, imo, deserved to be on The Joshua Tree.

No spoken words said:

Can you call Putz and ask him to pitch better, please? He's not helping my fantasy baseball cause.

I'd rather call him and tell him to go back to the DL. Topping out at 93 and not being able to throw strikes is an injury issue.

Silva, Bedard, and Hernandez are all pitching like aces, though (albeit Hernandez just had a rocky game yesterday).

No spoken words said:

You'll have great four receiver sets with Randle-El.

As long as they're not all busts, sure.

Would have liked to get a stud defensive lineman that could actually get some pressure, but hey, if you're scoring 45 points a game, who needs that, right? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom