Spyware and Adware programs - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
Can anyone tell me why out of the blue WinFixer keeps popping up on my computer? It's interrupting stuff that me and my boyfriend do on our computer! What's the deal with this program???
I don't know, but something similar is happening to my dad's computer. I don't remember what it's called, but it's some sort of fake spyware thing (spyblaster or spyware??) and it keeps popping up even when he's offline. It tells him his computer is infected too, but even after I ran spybot, the anti-virus program and ad aware, I still get the same message.
__________________

__________________
kellyahern is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern


I don't know, but something similar is happening to my dad's computer. I don't remember what it's called, but it's some sort of fake spyware thing (spyblaster or spyware??) and it keeps popping up even when he's offline. It tells him his computer is infected too, but even after I ran spybot, the anti-virus program and ad aware, I still get the same message.

I'm hoping it's not that virus that is going around.
__________________

__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


It is a free download from Microsoft

Find it here

Ahhhh ok...That's what is confusing me because I have something popping up on my computer and I thought it was microsoft. It has three options. WinAntiSpyware, WinFixer and WinAntiVirus. What are these and why are they popping up on my screen?
__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 06:08 PM
Microsoft's program is pretty effective. But the experts I hear from all say to run more than one anti-spyware program.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
 
u2granny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pious Aires, WA
Posts: 15,191
Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
Can anyone tell me why out of the blue WinFixer keeps popping up on my computer? It's interrupting stuff that me and my boyfriend do on our computer! What's the deal with this program???
I would delete the program and download either adaware or spybot. By the way, I hate it when my husband and I get interrupted doing "things" on our computer.
__________________
u2granny is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2granny


I would delete the program and download either adaware or spybot. By the way, I hate it when my husband and I get interrupted doing "things" on our computer.

__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2granny


I would delete the program and download either adaware or spybot. By the way, I hate it when my husband and I get interrupted doing "things" on our computer.
We tried that last night and thought we had succeeded for a while, but then the thing reappeared a few moments later .

It must have a virus. I told my dad he'd probably have to take it to the shop because I had no clue how he got it on there.
__________________
kellyahern is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Carmelu2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: LOST
Posts: 8,295
Local Time: 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern


We tried that last night and thought we had succeeded for a while, but then the thing reappeared a few moments later .

It must have a virus. I told my dad he'd probably have to take it to the shop because I had no clue how he got it on there.

So sorry your computer is on the fritz...I had a virus a few weeks ago and I got a clean up disk at Walmart for $20. It is called Mcaffe spyware. I loaded it and it cleaned all 3000 infected files...I had alot of adware and trojan bugs that where detected.

Good luck
__________________
Carmelu2fan is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 06:08 PM
For anti-virus, I recommend NOD32 by Eset.

A small, powerful program.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelu2fan



So sorry your computer is on the fritz...I had a virus a few weeks ago and I got a clean up disk at Walmart for $20. It is called Mcaffe spyware. I loaded it and it cleaned all 3000 infected files...I had alot of adware and trojan bugs that where detected.

Good luck
Oh, it's not mine (thank goodness ).

It was my dad's computer, and I was trying to help. I'll pass this info along to him though .
__________________
kellyahern is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 10:08 PM
I found out why that stupid WinFixer kept popping up. Usually I have my popup blocker on but it was turned off.

I'm so very happy that I downloaded Spy Sweeper though. It's found alot of bad things.
__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 03:08 AM

I use the usual suspects: Ad-aware and Spybot, and Windows Anti-spyware for the realtime protection.The best way to protect your computer is by using common sense though. Make sure stuff you download is spyware and malware free by reading the license. Don't open unknown attachments in your e-mail. That sort of thing.
__________________
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
I found out why that stupid WinFixer kept popping up. Usually I have my popup blocker on but it was turned off.

I'm so very happy that I downloaded Spy Sweeper though. It's found alot of bad things.
You don't want WinFixer on your computer though. Spy sweeper may already have gotten rid of it, but in case it didn't; read this.

That's a great site for looking up stuff you don't trust btw.
__________________
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth


You don't want WinFixer on your computer though. Spy sweeper may already have gotten rid of it, but in case it didn't; read this.

That's a great site for looking up stuff you don't trust btw.
The WinFixer just popped up out of nowhere though and I d/l it but it said I needed to pay for it. I definitely didn't pay for it and I unistalled it and ran my Spysweeper.

Thanks for the site!
__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #30
Babyface
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 15
Local Time: 08:08 PM
If you're getting a lot of winfix popups on your computer, you may be infected with 'virtumonde' malware - that's what happened to me, and I had to download a patch because my antivirus and spyware programs couldn't remove it.
__________________

__________________
Professor Plumb is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com