So what do you guys think about US bombing Afghanistan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by U2girl:

- Arabs never had their own country.

LOL, ok.
i think this is the wrong forum for this sort of thread U2girl.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 11-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 11-11-2001).]

I'll give you 24 hours to explain why this thread belongs in Lemonade Stand

starting ....

now!

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
I'll give you 24 hours to explain why this thread belongs in Lemonade Stand

starting ....

now!

LOL

tick....tock....tick....tock

------------------
Schabow

This belongs in FYM. No doubt.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

i don't think i'll make it another day if this post stays in the wrong forum...yes, she must be banned for this terrible offense...

------------------
The numeral 7

[This message has been edited by Se7en (edited 11-11-2001).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
Before the debate starts, let me bring out a few facts i read in an interview with an expert on Middle east affairs:

- Arabs never had their own country. They were promised to get a state in WW 1 by the British, should they fight against the Turks. They fought bravely, yet didn't get anything. Further more, when British left, they didn't take care of things whatsoever.

- Of course, there's the whole Israel/Palestinan question. The expert said that founding the state of Israel (and US supporting it) is the biggest wound to the Arabs.

- There's a sacred ground in Saudi Arabia (can't remember the city's name now), where apparently Koran was written and Muhammed stayed a while. It is an incredible offense if a foreigner sets foot on that ground, and US troops have been there for years.(and Osama bin Laden is Saudi Arabian)

- US used to support Bin Laden, when he was fighting against the Soviets - because he was useful to them as a protection from communism.

Not to justify terrorist actions, just to point out how complicated things are.
But back to the topic: is bombing the right way to deal with it?

Personally, i think it should have been done differently. For example, closing terrorist accounts in international banks or international diplomatic pressure would be/was a better solution.
I mean, sure, you can destroy terrorist camps but you won't destroy the whole terrorist network (because it's internationally spread) or bring down the Taliban regime (because it will take ground troops for a long-term control of the country, plus someone needs to put together a goverment people will be pleased with-that will probably take time).
Also, who says that when the Taliban regime is replaced, there will no longer be any terrorists?
Also, why not try using special forces and try to capture Bin Laden and the leading officers of Al Khaeda in a secret operation?

Most of these questions have been addressed in Free Your Mind in varying capacities.

As for the last question--why not use special forces to try to capture bin Laden and his cronies--there's probably something in the works, the press just doesn't know about it. I thought I saw an article on CNN that said that while Clinton was in office, there was an attempt to assassinate bin Laden. I can't find the article now, though.

Originally posted by Se7en:
i don't think i'll make it another day if this post stays in the wrong forum.

hang in there buddy. it'll be ok.

------------------
Schabow

Before the debate starts, let me bring out a few facts i read in an interview with an expert on Middle east affairs:

- Arabs never had their own country. They were promised to get a state in WW 1 by the British, should they fight against the Turks. They fought bravely, yet didn't get anything. Further more, when British left, they didn't take care of things whatsoever.

- Of course, there's the whole Israel/Palestinan question. The expert said that founding the state of Israel (and US supporting it) is the biggest wound to the Arabs.

- There's a sacred ground in Saudi Arabia (can't remember the city's name now), where apparently Koran was written and Muhammed stayed a while. It is an incredible offense if a foreigner sets foot on that ground, and US troops have been there for years.(and Osama bin Laden is Saudi Arabian)

- US used to support Bin Laden, when he was fighting against the Soviets - because he was useful to them as a protection from communism.

Not to justify terrorist actions, just to point out how complicated things are.
But back to the topic: is bombing the right way to deal with it?

Personally, i think it should have been done differently. For example, closing terrorist accounts in international banks or international diplomatic pressure would be/was a better solution.
I mean, sure, you can destroy terrorist camps but you won't destroy the whole terrorist network (because it's internationally spread) or bring down the Taliban regime (because it will take ground troops for a long-term control of the country, plus someone needs to put together a goverment people will be pleased with-that will probably take time).
Also, who says that when the Taliban regime is replaced, there will no longer be any terrorists?
Also, why not try using special forces and try to capture Bin Laden and the leading officers of Al Khaeda in a secret operation?

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 11-11-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom