Shuttlecock XXXI: Someone start a new in-joke so we can get a better title

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should announce I'm going to France and then "come back" with mysterious new beach clips, with just enough ambient noise to mask the fact that it's actually me playing and/or singing.

The beach clips, for me, were/still are one of the funniest things on interference, ever.

It's fairly obvious: I fucking love U2. Huge fan for over 25 years now. That being said, the beach clips were barely audible snippets of nothing, yet, interlanders were poring over them like the fucking Zapruder film. They'd actually compare notes, speak with authority about which songs were which. Then, when NLOTH was finally released, I even heard people say shit about how the riff or melody or whatever the fuck was different than the beach clip. WHAT THE FUCK?!!?!??!

So, yeah, I gave one clip a listen for about 30 seconds before stopping and never listening again. That seemed more appropriate to me.

When I went to Radiohead with Martha and Joyful, one of the first things I remember us discussing was how hilarious all of the hype and discussion about the beach clips was. I think all of us said we pretty much had done exactly what NSW did, listen to one of the clips for 30 seconds or so and then said, "You've gotta be kidding me."

I think I heard one of the beach clips at some point. I did not consider it a highlight of my existence.

There was actually a beach clip from back in '06 (I think) where the vocal melody was easily discernible and I fuckin loved it. It was catchy as hell. Don't know what happened to it. Some people have speculated that it might show up on the Spiderman thing. I don't know.

I think I'm ready to start making initial plans for my first overseas trip. Maybe next year, and I'm thinking Ireland.

My spring break week in Dublin a few years ago was one of my favorite vacations EVER. I hit the U2 spots, including Bono's present house and his childhood home. (Lame, I know.) They were all out of town starting the Vertigo tour in San Diego, so there was no chance of getting caught, and no other U2 fans around. But I went to all the other really cool Dublin places too, and I had the best time. I took a tour and went up to Ulster to see the Giant's Causeway, one of the places I'd always wanted to see in the world.

I could never replicate that trip, but I just loved it. And yes, I went all by myself.

That's my next decision. I love traveling by myself, but am a little leery of going overseas for the first time alone. I'll probably end up doing it anyway, and having a fabulous time, and wonder what the hell I was so leery about.

Oh, seriously. I never let "I don't have anyone to go with!" stop me from doing things. Overseas travel just seems so much bigger to me.

yeah, i'd actually planned on visiting new zealand soon, even before i met ian. i just wanted to go, and plus i was hoping to tie it into a band touring. it seemed a bit daunting, but i was gonna do it. i obviously didn't but yeah.

People could deal when I went to Dublin alone, but India alone freaked them out.

see, i'd be one of those people.

i've traveled alone quite a bit, very happily, and to countries that aren't UK/Canada/France/Germany. i've traveled in in groups and with Memphis quite a bit as well, and there's good and bad to all. the reason i shied away from India alone -- and i contemplated going this past January -- was my simple fear of getting horribly sick and not being able to do anything about it. i have a sensitive tummy to begin with, as my trip to Mexico -- it's Mexico! -- reminded me of 2 years ago, and while India is on my Top 5 list of places to go, i just feel the need to have some sort of security blanket who can call a doctor if things get too hairy.

but maybe you have bigger balls than i do.

i'll probably do Uluru alone in November, before Memphis arrives.

Most of the international travel I've done has been solo, but it's also been for work, so I end up having people take me out to dinner or offer to take me to touristy locations most of the time. I spent two months in Hong Kong with another guy opening up an office, and he went to the Philippines for 4 or 5 days after having been there for 5 or 6 weeks, and I thought I was going to jump off of a bridge. It was sooooo depressing to have all this time to be able to do go stuff, but realizing I'd have to go solo.

Speaking of depressing, every time I look through my pictures of various trips or countries I've been to, realizing that I'm not even in 98% of the pictures and don't even have proof that I was actually there in many cases, I get sad.

see, i'd be one of those people.

i've traveled alone quite a bit, very happily, and to countries that aren't UK/Canada/France/Germany. i've traveled in in groups and with Memphis quite a bit as well, and there's good and bad to all. the reason i shied away from India alone -- and i contemplated going this past January -- was my simple fear of getting horribly sick and not being able to do anything about it. i have a sensitive tummy to begin with, as my trip to Mexico -- it's Mexico! -- reminded me of 2 years ago, and while India is on my Top 5 list of places to go, i just feel the need to have some sort of security blanket who can call a doctor if things get too hairy.

but maybe you have bigger balls than i do.

i'll probably do Uluru alone in November, before Memphis arrives.

All things considered, I do have huge balls. But, I did go to a pilgrim center in India, so I wasn't alone alone.

And after India, I vowed no more third world. Jamaica, Peru and India all made me fucking sick.

And yes, I went to Jamaica all alone at age 20 to see Reggae Sunsplash. My mom was so happy when I got home.

I went to Peru alone as well, but it was a tour. There was only one other person on the tour, so we had a ball. No one else would go because Peru was so dangerous at the time. I went down there to see Halley's Comet. Saw it in Nazca, the same day we flew over the Nazca lines in a small plane.

I guess I just don't relate to any of the negative thoughts or feelings or experiences of traveling alone. I mean, perhaps it's different if you are a woman (or just effete like the dainty, cringing Scumbo), I can understand that a bit, but, yeah, overall, carpe diem. You want to go somewhere, go, and if you are alone, make the most of it.

Cori, don't be posting in here about an overseas trip, be researching and planning and motherfucking booking! You won't be sorry......:)

Cori, don't be posting in here about an overseas trip, be researching and planning and motherfucking booking! You won't be sorry......:)

Already on it. :up: My mother's father's mother was from Ireland, County Cork. I think I'd like to make that my other non-Dublin destination. I need to figure out who in my family is the historian for that branch of the family tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom