Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, that makes sense, hopefully Yuma will negate the crappiness of Shoot 'Em Up for you.

John McTiernan and even Paul Verhoeven are the masters of ridiculously violent yet coherent films, their best ones starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (and Bruce Willis in McTiernan's case)

A lot of my favorite critics are saying Yuma is one of the best "classic westerns" since the John Ford days.

If I don't get to finally see this movie tomorrow, I'm going to have to burn something down.

Lancemc said:

Shoot 'Em Up - 2.5/10

:down::down:

I could not believe how bad it was.

this was amature film making at it dullest

it was like a bad parody of a john woo film

The movie stopped about 1/2 way through so I took the opportunity to get a readmit pass and left.

310 to yuma

6/10

a bit of a disappointment

this film is getting all the good buzz

Russel Crowe does a good job

Bail plays the quiet, loser
as he has done a few times.

It is nice to see Peter Fonda, again

what went wrong? the ending.

the fist 2/3 may have been about a 7.5.

I can't believe people are comparing this film to the Unforgiven

Last edited:
(concerning Shoot 'em Up)

Seriously, I couldn't really believe how absolutely bored I was the entire time. It's almost a damn feat of brilliance to make a film with that much action so dull.

the score was irritating, when you notice the music because it annoys you, that is bad film making

the carrot thing
was just stupid

the jokes were not funny :shrug:

Clive Owen is one of my favorite actors

and I never thought I would not want to stay for a film that had Monica Belucci in it.

But when the film stopped and the house lights came on for a few minutes
I kept asking myself why am I staying?

so I took the pass and left
no regrets

Lancemc said:
I honestly wish I could have done the same.

Michael Davis is the writer and director of Shoot 'em Up.

checking IMDB.COM

this guy has no real track record, I think this is some of the worst writing I have ever seen in a major film.

There is nothing in his pass the supports these high caliber actors working with him

I hope there was a lot of upfront money for them

and I am real leery of the scores that both IMDB.COM and rottentomatoes are giving this movie.

deep said:

Michael Davis is the writer and director of Shoot 'em Up.

checking IMDB.COM

this guy has no real track record, I think this is some of the worst writing I have ever seen in a major film.

There is nothing in his pass the supports these high caliber actors working with him

I hope there was a lot of upfront money for them

and I am real leery of the scores that both IMDB.COM and rottentomatoes are giving this movie.
Good thing I checked here. I was thinking of seeing it based on the names. Was it worse than Transformers?

By the way, deep, the 4400 is pretty awesome now and there are only 2 episodes left this season. Maybe consider checking it out!

I saw Perfume: the story of a murderer. Very vivid, but ultimately unconvincing in terms of human nature. The same thing happens again and again and then the climax is unbelievable and silly and the character's redemption at the end is too late and doesn't really make sense.

A creepy fairytale, basically, with wooden characters. Then again, some may like it; Roger Ebert did and that's why I saw it, but Richard Roeper didn't and I agree with him.

Muldfeld said:

Good thing I checked here. I was thinking of seeing it based on the names. Was it worse than Transformers?

By the way, deep, the 4400 is pretty awesome now and there are only 2 episodes left this season. Maybe consider checking it out!

I saw Perfume:

I read all 3 pages of the IMDB reviews

and I think Davis and his pals spiked them.

There are four legit one / two star reviews from real people

one mentions how transformers was not that good, but at least there was a plot and enough things that worked to recommend that movie.

as for 4400 - I would rather watch the killer clown episode over and over than any part of Shoot em Up

and btw, I would give the preview a 7.5,
it made me want to see the movie!

but Davis is a straight to video director
and this film is just bad.

funny thing on the rottentomatoes site
this film dropped from 82% to 62% in one day

and I have not seen perfume
it was only in theaters for one week
(I really prefer big screen)

but it is one
that I will look for on cable.

g******* Movies

2 Titles

Show Votes

Shoot 'Em Up (2007) 1
Spider-Man 3 (2007) 6

well,

i am registered at imdb

and it looks like this is only the second movie I have taken the time to vote on.

3:10 to Yuma - 8/10

Seeing this after Shoot 'Em Up was like getting punched in the gut and throwing up a crappy meal one night, and eating at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse the next.

It was almost the perfect companion piece. Leaving SEU I felt disgusted. Why do people feel the need to create a ridiculous, horrible script as an excuse to film 80 minutes of over-the-top action? Since when has that ever been a legitimate why of creating an action film? 3:10 to Yuma does everything right that Shoot Em Up did wrong (which is just about everything...).

Here, we have a characer-driven narritive, paced expertly, with just the right balance of suspence and action. When the characters aren't shooting at each other, they're quietly examining one another, figuring out the best way to gain or maintain the upper hand. And when they are speaking, it's always carefully crafted dialog that slowly exposes something new about the character's psyche.

Speaking of characters, Ben Wade just might be my favorite Russel Crowe incarnation to date. He's ruthless, sly, and always puts on the facade of a man who knows exactly what's about to happen before anyone else has a clue, even when he doesn't. But he's also a good man, probably the only one of his "posse" with a shred of honor or real respect. This latter quality comes out in every moment Wade shares with Dan, the washed up, broke rancher played to a "t' by the ever-astounding Christian Bale. Dan has lost the respect of his son and his wife, and uses the situation with Wade as a manner of not only solving his financial troubles, but of redeeming himself in the eyes of his family.

The highlights of the film come in these tense and enthralling interactions between our two main characters, as we watch both men evolve and grow in ways we might not have originally expected. This is your classic morality play. Good and Evil are clearly defined, but the manifestations might not be exactly what you expect.

But this isn't just a character-study (though it succeeds moreso as such). Yuma is a classic actioner, and features all the western staples from horse-riding, stage-coach raids, bounty hunters (Peter Fonda in great form), stereotypically brutal Apache Indians, men throwing badges at one another, barns being lit on fire, and your classic pistol dual (though again, it's definitely not what you expect).

So no, there aren't nearly as many bullets fired, or guys shot in this film as there were in Shoot 'Em Up. But for every 1 second of action in Yuma to every 10 seconds of action in Shoot 'Em Up, Yuma delivered quadrouple the excitement and satisfaction. This is how you make a bad-ass action movie, folks. Take note. Because unless you have characters and situations that can truly engage you, the most frantic gunfights in the world aren't going to illicit a single genuine thrill.

All that said, Yuma isn't the perfect film. It isn't even the perfect Western. It plays it a little too close to the traditions here and there, and Mangold doesn't quite deliver the caliber of character or phylosophical depth you'll find in the best period films out there [hopefully we can look forward to The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford later this month for such an experience, along with Richard Deakins' remarkably beautiful cinematography]. Yuma isn't the best-looking film out there, and it isn't quite one of the most riveting action flicks I've ever seen [Hell, it likely won't even be the best Western we see this year, especially if you count No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood], but it's a remarkably successfull film on all fronts, and sure as hell kicked off the fall season with a thunderous bang, and a bang, and a bang, and a bang bang bang...

Oh yeah, and I got to see the "There Will Be Blood" trailer on the big screen.

And it was glooooorious. :drool:

The Secret Life Of Words
9/10

Netflix summary: "After surviving the war in Yugoslavia, taciturn nurse Hanna (Sarah Polley) heads to Ireland for some rest and relaxation. But when she hears about an oil-rig accident off the coast, she agrees to tend heroic burn victim Josef (Tim Robbins). Personalities clash aboard the derrick as Hanna contends with Josef, a Russian soldier (Sverre Anker Ousdal), a lively Spanish chef (Javier Cámara) and other oddballs in this compelling character study."

I loved this film. It's slow, but unfolds like a great novel. I was deeply moved. Sarah Polley's performance was terrific, and I always enjoy Tim Robbins. I definitely recommend it to those of you who like thoughtful pieces.

Shoot Em Up

7.2/10

It was like a bad version of Kill Bill mixed with Walker Texas Ranger, entertaining in "is this really happening?" kind of way. Clive Owen's character was just a notch above Walker Texas, he was terribly cheesy yet bad ass. I'm convinced Paul Giamatti is extremely talented because it had to take a lot of work and effort to give the impression that he cannot act to save his life in Shoot Em Up.
The storyline was...in nice words...lacking.
But I would be lying if I said it was the worst movie experience I've had, the movie had no purpose but at least didn't pretend to.

The Queen :up: :up:

Helen Mirren was very good, as were the other actors. Good story. Real footage of Diana throughout.

Zodiac :up: :up:

Saw this a couple of weeks ago after having read the book. Nice to put a visual to the timeline, though the book was obviously more detailed. Unfortunately saw 1/2 the movie one night, and half the next, which kind of ruins the experience of watching it. Still very good.

One of my favorite aspects of watching Zodiac was the slowly and continuously building tension through the entirety of the film (a long film at that). I'd imaging breaking it up into two nights would spoil a bit of that for me.

Tombstone - 7.5/10

Campy, poorly edited western with a great cast and some good ideas. The film's lows are sometimes cringe-worthy, but it's highs are simply amazing. Val Kilmer steals the show with his legendary performance as Doc Holiday, one of my favorite cinema characters ever.

Robocop: Director's Cut - 8.5/10

A bloodier, more brutal cut of the seminal 80's sci-fi action flick. It's still awesome. "Bitches, leave."

The Bourne Ultimatum - 8/10

Everything the Bourne Supremacy wanted to be and more. Some of the most thrilling action and character conflict I've seen in a straight actioner in a long time. Doesn't quite reach the hights of Identity, mostly due to a weak ending, lack of mystery, and some questionable editing here and there.

That said, it's still a damn fine film.

deep said:
310 to yuma

6/10

a bit of a disappointment

this film is getting all the good buzz

Russel Crowe does a good job

Bail plays the quiet, loser
as he has done a few times.

It is nice to see Peter Fonda, again

what went wrong? the ending.

the fist 2/3 may have been about a 7.5.

I can't believe people are comparing this film to the Unforgiven
Yeah, 3:10 to Yuma kinda sucked. It was just dull the whole way through, Christian Bale's character especially. And I hated how Russell Crowe was able to seduce women with his cheesy comments, and when he was getting to Bale's wife, that was the last staw! It resonated with my insecurities that the woman of my dreams would want a bad boy dick like that.

I just thought the drama was flat, though the action was well done, I suppose.

The ending was so preposterous, though, and made no practical (from Bale's perspective) or realistic dramatic sense.

Ah, my dad had a good time, so it was fine, and it wasn't as boring as Kevin Costner's "Open Range".

Lancemc said:
One of my favorite aspects of watching Zodiac was the slowly and continuously building tension through the entirety of the film (a long film at that). I'd imaging breaking it up into two nights would spoil a bit of that for me.
Damn. That's what happened to me. My parents kept falling asleep, so we had to watch it again. As a result, I found the ending a bit anti-climactic, but I guess life is like that, huh?

Good film overall, and Robert Downey, Jr. shows his stuff, but he seems to act as the same relaxed, self-absorbed character these days, eh? He seemed the same in what little I could tolerate of "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and the very good "A Scanner Darkly".

Lancemc said:
I thought the last 20 minutes of Yuma were far and away the most satisfying. :shrug:
I guess they were kinda neat plot wise and it gave you that feeling you might want, but I just couldn't understand Bale's perspective. Honor seems so childish compared to living for your children, you know?

Muldfeld said:

I guess they were kinda neat plot wise and it gave you that feeling you might want, but I just couldn't understand Bale's perspective. Honor seems so childish compared to living for your children, you know?

It wasn't completely about honor, though that was part of it. Getting Wade on that train was the only way his family would get to keep their home and afford to survive, remember the railroad man promised to keep those douchebags off his farm and keep the water flowing, as well as pay him the reward.

And that isn't Bjork in my avatar, though it's cool you saw her. :wink:

Muldfeld said:

Damn. That's what happened to me. My parents kept falling asleep, so we had to watch it again. As a result, I found the ending a bit anti-climactic, but I guess life is like that, huh?

Good film overall, and Robert Downey, Jr. shows his stuff, but he seems to act as the same relaxed, self-absorbed character these days, eh? He seemed the same in what little I could tolerate of "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and the very good "A Scanner Darkly".

I'll have to watch it again if/when it comes on cable. Maybe seeing it all in one sitting would be better. Again, the book is much more detailed, and you get to know about each person before the Zodiac kills them. It's basically written in a time line. I didn't realize/couldn't tell from the book that Gyllenhauls (sp?)'s character was so obsessed & also an outsider.

As for Downey, I haven't seen everything he's done. Probably not that much actually. But his best roll, for me, was Chaplin :up:

Lancemc said:

It wasn't completely about honor, though that was part of it. Getting Wade on that train was the only way his family would get to keep their home and afford to survive, remember the railroad man promised to keep those douchebags off his farm and keep the water flowing, as well as pay him the reward.

And that isn't Bjork in my avatar, though it's cool you saw her. :wink:
I know (what am I still doing up?). I quickly erased that part, when I had a second glance. It must have been someone else. People on the Radiohead fansite ateaseweb have tons of Bjork references. Lucy Liu, right? Just kidding.

But, Bale placed such a high priority on honor that he wouldn't accept the $200 the guy offered for free, if he let Wade go. He would have been alive. He risked so much for financial security but I got the sense that so much of it was about honor. What good's some idiotic notion of honor if you're not around the raise your children and keep your wife company? Also, Wade could easily have told his posse to stop the whole thing and just enter the train. No one need be killed. Then, Wade turns on his entire posse for killing Bale, when it was his fault for not thinking of that very likely scenario when they were running to the train.

I guess I just expected something really great. Just wasn't my thing.

Lila64 said:

I'll have to watch it again if/when it comes on cable. Maybe seeing it all in one sitting would be better. Again, the book is much more detailed, and you get to know about each person before the Zodiac kills them. It's basically written in a time line. I didn't realize/couldn't tell from the book that Gyllenhauls (sp?)'s character was so obsessed & also an outsider.

As for Downey, I haven't seen everything he's done. Probably not that much actually. But his best roll, for me, was Chaplin :up:
I actually never saw Chaplin, but that's pre-severe rehab Downey, so I don't know if I'm as interested for silly reasons. Though it does have David Duchovny, and I'll almost see anything with him just because I'm a X-Phile.

Muldfeld said:

Also, Wade could easily have told his posse to stop the whole thing and just enter the train. No one need be killed. Then, Wade turns on his entire posse for killing Bale, when it was his fault for not thinking of that very likely scenario when they were running to the train.

Wade seemed to have some kind of code for when he killed (or did not kill) people throughout the movie.

In the beginning he killed one member of his gang and he let the rancher and his sons live. He had a code.

When he used the fork and when Fonda went too far he met his end.

So we have a character development, here,

As I said the first 2/3s of the film could justify the high scores.

The original Yuma had the rancher going against the 7 members of the gang. That would have played out just fine.
They could have filmed that shoot out with plenty of suspense.

We are to believe that ordinary towns folk, would at suggestion of outlaws, kill their unarmed lawman that they have been living with.

It seems this was just amped up to appeal to some that have been reared on FPS video games that want/ need a high body count to be satiated?

And where it went completely off the rails is Wade taking out his gang? WTF, all along he is saying my guys are going to save me.
Again this is 100% against the character they worked to develop.

and as for lance avatar, not sure

I believe the sig is the actress from Ang Lee's - Lust film

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom