Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
over the hedge

4/10

aside from stuff martin scorsese does, inane kids movies like that are pretty much all i have the patience to watch. i thought i was going to like this one. it was lame. everything about it was lame. netflix says cars is shipping today, so we'll see how i like that one.

and the ben folds soundtrack was just...odd. i'm going to forget i ever heard the re-done rockin the suburbs and cover of lost in the supermarket.

they're laughing with me!

hey, that's also what i thought of clerks.

I went to see "The Queen" yesterday. I thought it was brilliant. Helen Mirren truly made you believe she is Queen Elizabeth and gave her a touching realness. I hope she's remembered at Oscar time. The actor who played Tony Blair was also very good. And I cried a bit when the film went over Princess Diana's funeral, and I was hardly a royal watcher.

Golightly Grrl said:
I went to see "The Queen" yesterday. I thought it was brilliant. Helen Mirren truly made you believe she is Queen Elizabeth and gave her a touching realness. I hope she's remembered at Oscar time. The actor who played Tony Blair was also very good. And I cried a bit when the film went over Princess Diana's funeral, and I was hardly a royal watcher.

I actually laughed at the previews for this when I first saw them, but I think that's just because it's become so easy to mock royalty these days...there's almost a knee-jerk response. Like the family, or not, they are a part of our history. I'll probably check it out on dvd when it comes out.

Stranger Than Fiction

5/5

This is easily one of the best movies I've seen this year; I'd maybe rank it second only to Little Miss Sunshine on the greatness scale. Will Farrell plays an auditor who inexplicably starts hearing a female voice in his head doing play-by-play of his every action. The Voice, aka Emma Thompson, is actually the voice of an author she plays who is trying to come up with a book featuring Farrell as the main character. It's funny, though-provoking, and very touching. Maggie Gyllenhaal is also great as Will's girlfriend and expert cookie-maker. :drool:

The killer bonus is the way music is used in the movie. GO SEE IT!

Night of the Living Dead 3-D - 4/10
Awful modern remake and possibily the worst movie I've ever seen :down:. I'd rate it a zero but it gains four points for being filled with a lot of unintentional hilarious moments. I would've hated it if our audience wasn't full of hecklers that made the movie tolerable. Oh, and the 3-D effects were criminally underused. I only went to see this because I'd never seen a full-length 3-D movie. What a waste of time :grumpy:

Stranger Than Fiction - 9/10
What angelordevil said :up:

I don't know if I'd rate Stranger Than Fiction that high.
It wasn't as funny as I hoped it would be, but at least we got to see a different (and very weird) sad side to Will Ferrell. It was definitely an original story even though you can guess the ending from the previews. :grumpy:
I'll give it a 7/10.

Slither

I got a kick out of this movie. It has it's share of gore and laughs, but was missing something at the end. Having Firefly-badass Nathan Fillion in it helped.

6/10

Stranger Than Fiction

I saw it with my friends, and I had hear that this was a sort of serious film for Will Ferrell (which one of my friends didn't). I was impressed by Ferrell and Emma Thompson's roles, and I loved Dustin Hoffman as the professor. Overall, it's not that funny (although there is some good stuff, like many of his scenes with the bakery girl) but it is a good movie. My friend, who expected a typical Ferrell film, came out steaming mad, however.

7.5/10

"I don't think I was, but if I was, I was doing it on behalf of the US Government and Internal Revenue Service." :lol:

V for Vendetta- 10/10

After watching it today Im sorry that I waited so long to see it! Thought Natalie Portmand did a great job and "V"'s character was very well done. Not to mention the story had some really good surprises.

Would rate this movie as one of the best that I have seen in a long time.

BonosBaby12 said:
V for Vendetta- 10/10

After watching it today Im sorry that I waited so long to see it! Thought Natalie Portmand did a great job and "V"'s character was very well done. Not to mention the story had some really good surprises.

Would rate this movie as one of the best that I have seen in a long time.

Amen! Saw it three times in the theatre the first week it came out. One of my all time favs. Perfect 10/10.

meegannie said:

I did a course called Vichy France on Film at Nottingham, but I don't think I saw that one. Have you seen Un héros très discret ? :drool:

I'm doing the literature of war.

I haven't seen that film. Maybe I should try and get a copy of it. :hmm:

Army in the shadows got 99% on metacritic.

got_edge said:

:hug:

...and who is "they" :eyebrow:

you and...you.

hey, why do i keep seeing commercials for some godawful-looking jail comedy staring vogler and gob?

Stranger Than Fiction

Surprisingly as poignant as it was funny. I loved seeing Tony Hale steal every scene he was in, along with Dustin Hoffman. Will Ferrell can act? Who was going to tell me. I loved it, but it dragged at times.

7/10

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

The 2nd-worst 'Star Trek' movie apart from the original movie. I know Paramount and ILM screwed Shatman over with the special-effects and script changes, but it would've been average at best anyways. Other than the unintentional comedy of this disaster, the only reason I watch it is in a Trek Movie Marathon.

2/10

Kill Bill: Vol. 2

7.633/10

Not as bloody as 1, but still bloody. Overall, bloody good. The martial arts element is again impressive, but this one delves much more into the characters' motivations as people and blood-thirty villains. Did I mention blood?

Not for your grandma, but a :up: nontheless.

Let's Go to Prison

Hilariously awkward and offbeat. I'm still not a fan of Dax Shepard, but Chi McBride (Vogler from Hooouse) and Will Arnett took this movie under their wings and made it funny. Bob Odenkirk directed and had a bit part, which was great and this movie was written by two of the guys from Reno 911! The unequivocal highlight of the movie is the tender prison love story between Will Arnett's character Nelson Biederman IV and Vogler's Barry. It was entertaining, but not 9 dollars worth, wait to rent this and laugh.

6/10

Intermission

I was sort of channel-hopping during the middle part of the film which isn't the best of endorsements for it but by the end part of the film I was hooked. All the actors involved were brilliant I felt- especially Kelly MacDonald, Shirley Henderson and that bloke off Star Trek (Colm Meaney :bow: imdb :bow: ).

Silent Hill 6/10

I only rented this because most of the exterior shots were filmed in the downtown of the city where I live. That's right, it's a source of pride around here that our dilapidated, run-down downtown area is awful enough to be the set of a movie that portrays a hellish, evil town, with minimal set dressing. :happy:

In an early scene, it shows a character reading an old newspaper from an archive. The title of the article? Silent Hill: A Tainted Town. That caused great laughter in our house. I've also heard that when the film opened in local theatres, audiences laughed out loud through much of it.

Other than the coolness factor of seeing your city on film, the movie itself was meh to me. Might be different if you're a fan of the genre, I suppose. Some of the cgi effects were kinda neat.

Btw, since the filming about a year and a half ago, they've begun a major downtown revitalization project here. I guess having our city basically represent something akin to hell finally got our city council moving. :wink:

Hard Candy

7/10

Incredibly disturbing movie. Great acting by Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson, but definitely not for everyone. Actually suceeds in making you sympathize with a pedophile.

Deja Vu - It's Bruckheimer. That being said, it was really good for a Bruckheimer movie. The plot had a lot of holes, I thought, but that happens when you are dealing with...well I won't spoil it. It was fun. 7/10

Bobby - Seeing as how I was heavily getting into JFK last week, this movie seemed like just the right timing. I expected silly nostalgia and Estevez gave us something completely different. It's not focused on Bobby, but rather around the people that were "affected" by Bobby's murder in the kitchen of the ambassador. You know it's going to tie up loose ends in the end, and it does so wonderfully. I highly recommend. 9/10

The Fountain - If you know Aronofsky's work (Pi, Requiem for a Dream), then you'll already know how offbeat the movie will be. That being said, it was a visually stunning piece. It's a love it or hate it sort of deal. If you're comfortable with Kubrick's 2001, you'll find this movie enjoyable.
Uhh, I don't think I can give it a rating just yet though. It's going to take a few days to sink in and understand the story. As one idiot behind me said, "I hate movies that make you think!" Well, then Tenacious D is in theater 10, ma'dear.

The Family Stone

Finally saw this one last night. I was expecting more of a screwball comedy, but it definitely had it's heartwrenching moments. As you near the end, it definitely tries to make up for the lack of screwball, but I was shedding a few tears by the end of it. Overall, pretty good, if not a little uneven at times.

7/10

Click

9/10

I saw this movie last night. Amazing movie. I thought it was going to be a really goofy Adam Sandler movie but I was really impressed by the acting and the people that were in it. David Hasselhoff was funny too. One part made me cry though!

War of The Roses

8/10

I saw this for the first time last night. I liked it but was kinda shocked at the ending. Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas were pretty evil in this movie. :crack:

Green Street Hooligans

Rented it through netflix and watched it Friday night. It was alright, but it fell flat in some areas for me. It provided a small view on football hooliganism in England but inspired me to look at other films relating to the subject to see what this underworld looks like (as well as at other websites to see what "firms" there are for these football teams). I was not sold on Elijah Wood character playing the part of good boy gone bad, he does not have a hard looking edge to him. I also do not condone the violence that is portrayed (which I know exists) yet I understand passion for sports runs deep in a lot of people and it is their way to identify the alligence. It is a shame that people let their emotions take control over them which can lead to to obsence, violence and shameful behaviour that does run rampant in all sports and in every country. 5/10

Oh and I was pretty bored this weekend so I saw two other movies.

Just Like Heaven
8/10

Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo are in this. They had pretty good chemistry. I liked it and thought it had a good storyline.

A Perfect Man
2/10

I can't believe I admit to watching this movie but I did. Hilary Duff, Heather Locklear and Chris Noth are in this. WTF happened to Heather Locklear's face? I thought she would stay away from plastic surgery but she succumbed to it. Parts of it were ok but the storyline was really stupid. I wouldn't recommend this pos to anyone.

Primer

7/10

This apparently won the Grand Jury prize at Sundance in 2004. Two dudes build a time machine ... confusing stuff happens.

I really enjoyed the movie and was deeply involved in it, even though I got WAY confused by the last 20 minutes or so of the movie. It's definitely designed for multiple viewings to figure stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom