Random Music Talk XXXVI: Not this time, Cobbler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ :)

seriously I'm having a great week. Crushing good tunes. Turn 21 on Monday and get my braces off a week from now. BEP are on indefinite hiatus. Got a new job.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!!!

I can has some of your good luck? I'm interviewing for a promotion next week.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!!!

You are on a roll with the great references tonight, sir. Your cuffs are bone-dry as well, I presume.

On an unrelated note, do any of you fine people know whether the Interference smart phone app allows you to post? I cannot find a button to do so anywhere. I know there is a thread about this somewhere, but I am dealing with highly limited interwebs at the moment.

Because I'm assuming no one actually read about the damn thing, I must say that the Weezer cruise thing sounds great. It's essentially a mini-concert festival on a ship to Mexico. Sit on a ship and see a huge number of awesome bands play? Guess it's not cool to like music.

Sounds cool to me too...I could use a cruise about now. Are you getting excited for No Age & Explosions In The Sky on Thursday for FREE?!

yeah, this.

don't get me wrong, at least if they're going to pick some old album to whore the hell out of i'm glad it's achtung baby, but i'd rather hear nloth in concert than the fly. yeah the latter is awesome, but still. i'm not complaining about the concert i saw in nashville, i just really wish they'd stuck to their guns a little more and not dropped so many nloth songs - or at least not dropped all the good ones. if i were to pick two nloth songs to hear live, crazy tonight and magnificent would definitely not be my picks.

Yes. I really wanted to hear Breathe and NLOTH live...and we didn't even get The Fly to make up for it.

I can has some of your good luck? I'm interviewing for a promotion next week.

Good luck Reggo :up:

On an unrelated note, do any of you fine people know whether the Interference smart phone app allows you to post? I cannot find a button to do so anywhere. I know there is a thread about this somewhere, but I am dealing with highly limited interwebs at the moment.

Ya, just press the little arrow looking button at the top right. It will bring up a menu with a few different options, one of them being 'reply'

Interference app is sexy, except you can't read spoilers. Which means I can't read Random these days.

I'm pretty alright with gratuitous spoilers though, in general.

Sounds cool to me too...I could use a cruise about now. Are you getting excited for No Age & Explosions In The Sky on Thursday for FREE?!

Yes. I really wanted to hear Breathe and NLOTH live...and we didn't even get The Fly to make up for it.

Good luck Reggo :up:
Th crew played The Fly at sound check, iirc.

thanks.

LemonMelon said:
Interference app is sexy, except you can't read spoilers. Which means I can't read Random these days.

* SPOILER *

You can on iPhone. It's very handy and has sent my post count soaring but not quite perfect

Hey, Ashley and I recorded a song a couple months back, and I dug it up tonight while messing around with some new material. It's just instrumental, very Unforgettable Fire-ish, and very much not finished. She's on keyboards, I'm on guitar, and I also threw on an Aphex Twin kind of beat because it felt too dull with just a metronome.

Untitled 3.WAV - DivShare

Dunno if we'll do much with it; it's rather quaint as is.

LemonMelon said:

* SPOILER *

You bastard. You know I'm at work and can't read this. Seriously, the spoiler tag in the app thing is driving me insane.

Hey, Cobbler, the Paul Dempsey album is real good. There's some Elliott Smith here, some alt-country, some schlocky alt-rock...but it all coheres nicely and makes for a very solid listen. Theme From Nice Guy might be my favorite.

u2mofopop, don't read this. It's in your best interests not to.

What do you good folk use to download albums and leaks? I usually go to piratebay, but after that I just have to do random google searches for ages. And is downloading albums a surefire way to get viruses?

Ah you still read it, didn't you mofo. I told you not to.

Hey, Cobbler, the Paul Dempsey album is real good. There's some Elliott Smith here, some alt-country, some schlocky alt-rock...but it all coheres nicely and makes for a very solid listen. Theme From Nice Guy might be my favorite.

:applaud: :yippie:

I've been waiting so long for someone else to talk to, albeit briefly about this album. I'm so overjoyed, so thrilled that you liked it. Theme From Nice Guy is one of my favourites too, I love the lyrics on that one in particular, though it's all great. If I had to pick I'd say Out the Airlock is probably my favourite.

:loveshower:

He's also the lead singer of seminal Australian alt/indie rockers Something for Kate, who have a bunch of great albums.

For anyone else who'd like to hear the Paul Dempsey album, my #1 album of 09, I uploaded it and can provide the link!

Are you from Geelong, Cobbler? I just googled that shit...you really are on the bottom (or top) of the world aren't you! No wonder you like Outkast so much with all those references to "South" in their lyrics. :wink:

I've been waiting so long for someone else to talk to, albeit briefly about this album. I'm so overjoyed, so thrilled that you liked it. Theme From Nice Guy is one of my favourites too, I love the lyrics on that one in particular, though it's all great. If I had to pick I'd say Out the Airlock is probably my favourite.

I'm super bummed that <40 people on rateyourmusic have heard it; Something For Kate and related projects must be an Oz thing. When it comes to consciously pretty music, there's a fine line between sublime and pleasantly dull, and Dempsey is so on the former. There are so many bands that fall into the latter right now, especially in the British mainstream. I don't even know how to describe Keane, Snow Patrol, Travis, etc. in genre terms, so I settle on "pleasant, but boring." Good lyrics tend to separate the two.

Re: illegal downloading, just type "site:mediafire.com:" into google and type the album you want after that. 95% of the time you'll find it, and if you don't, just use filestube.com, which draws from a bunch of different sites and often picks up mediafire links that a direct mediafire search won't catch. It's easier to just go the google route though because it limits ads via direct links.

Are you from Geelong, Cobbler? I just googled that shit...you really are on the bottom (or top) of the world aren't you! No wonder you like Outkast so much with all those references to "South" in their lyrics. :wink:

Haha not quite! I live in Werribee, which is about 25-30 minutes from Geelong, pretty much halfway between Geelong and Melbourne. Why'd you google that? :lol:

One of the myriad reasons :wink:

I'm super bummed that <40 people on rateyourmusic have heard it; Something For Kate and related projects must be an Oz thing. When it comes to consciously pretty music, there's a fine line between sublime and pleasantly dull, and Dempsey is so on the former. There are so many bands that fall into the latter right now, especially in the British mainstream. I don't even know how to describe Keane, Snow Patrol, Travis, etc. in genre terms, so I settle on "pleasant, but boring." Good lyrics tend to separate the two.

Re: illegal downloading, just type "site:mediafire.com:" into google and type the album you want after that. 95% of the time you'll find it, and if you don't, just use filestube.com, which draws from a bunch of different sites and often picks up mediafire links that a direct mediafire search won't catch. It's easier to just go the google route though because it limits ads via direct links.

Yeah they've had very limited success/exposure overseas... though Paul is in NY a fair bit, he does shows constantly in bars. I agree about that line - that's a really good point. That's why I'm always a bit hesitant to check something out that's described as low-key/acoustic/singer-songwriter-type stuff, because while there's plenty of good there's also a lot of bad that's fairly popular. Paul's lyrics make him stand apart; they're notoriously cryptic, convoluted at times, literary, verbose... you don't find that in mainstream music of that type. He's got a pretty distinctive voice as well, and he also has perfect pitch which I think is very cool.

This is my favourite SFK song.

YouTube - ‪Something For Kate - Monsters‬‏

I love the opening lines:

I was hanging upside down from the overpass; waiting something to discover something about the world

It was written in Paris, where the band decamped to make some of the album. He's had bouts of depression and writer's block, and this song was about those internal monsters of trying to overcome all that as everyone waits impatiently for more music. I just think it's a unique way of writing something that's universal: going somewhere new or typically "inspirational" to come up with new ideas.

They also have a female bassist, Steph Ashworth (her and Paul are married) and she's in good company there.

Thanks for tips on downloading. :up:

u2popmofo said:
Because I'm assuming no one actually read about the damn thing, I must say that the Weezer cruise thing sounds great. It's essentially a mini-concert festival on a ship to Mexico. Sit on a ship and see a huge number of awesome bands play? Guess it's not cool to like music.

Or contract the Norwalk Virus...

Albums that will be listened to in the coming days:

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works
Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City
Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago (thought I'd give this a go before the s/t)
Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
Dungeon Family - Even in Darkness
Eagle and the Worm - Good Times (Australian album that's received unanimously positive reviews)
Kanye - Graduation
Liam Finn - Fomo (son of Tim, I think, nephew of Neil)
Mark Ronson & The Business Intl - Record Collection
My Morning Jacket - Circuital
Nick Cave - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! (I do recall loving the cover and title back when it was released)
Okkervil River - The Stage Names (I'd love to love I Am Very Far; apparently this is a better entry point)
Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin
Washed Out - Banned in Utah

I've told everyone that all I want for my 21st is JB Hi-Fi vouchers (Oz's prominent music store) and I'm anticipating quite a large amount so I think I'll be buying a shitload of albums. I'm also tempted to buy a Mac... but I think the lure of albums will be too strong.

edit, haha I've got albums by artists A thru E there lolz

Liam is son of Neil, nephew of Tim (thought I'd get in before any Kiwis pick that up).

Ah, 21, cobbler! I don't know whether to feel maternal or cougarish....

I think I may have redeemed myself by being the messenger of this FANTASTIC news:

Celebrating the Black Eyed Peas’ Hiatus by Charting Their Decline

Fuck to the yeah!

:rockon:
I realize I'm a few pages late on this, but this is the best thing I've heard all day. Fantastic news.
Slow_Clap_RE_ITS_A_GIF_PARTY-s420x315-140048-580.gif

the barenaked ladies did that a few times, gaelic storm, a few other bands i can't think of off the top of my head played. i think i just don't like boats. there's absolutely nothing appealing to me about a cruise, even if it does bring its own music festival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom