Random Music Talk XXX: Bow Chicka Wow Wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reggo said:
Wait, what? I missed something.

Just saying that we're getting even further off topic than usual is all. :uhoh:

Discussing Scumbo's prospects is usually where I draw the line. :wink:

:lol: Gotcha.

routing back to music, how fucking awesome is the Ramones' debut?

I actually like Rocket To Russia a little bit more, but the difference between them is negligible.

One of the many songs that fucking DJ was supposed to play at our wedding and didn't. How many times have I mentioned I'm so glad we only paid that guy $100?

Between the two of you, you probably could have put together a fabulously eclectic DJ set. I could just imagine "Charlotte Sometimes" popping up at a wedding reception.

Between the two of you, you probably could have put together a fabulously eclectic DJ set. I could just imagine "Charlotte Sometimes" popping up at a wedding reception.

We had a LIST. He was supposed to mix the list with songs he felt were appropriate. There were songs with asterisks he was supposed to play NO MATTER WHAT. I even got Cori to send me the MP3 of "Slow Dancing" with Willie Nelson and SENT IT TO HIM to make sure it was played. Well...you can imagine...in fact hang on a second, I'll be back.

This is the wrong thread to ask that in.

Alright, I'm going to pick one of those hundred albums I should have listened to long ago and spin it. Picked at random by iTunes: Quadrophenia - The Who. I've had this for years and never listened to it...:reject: Here we go.

Alright, I'm going to pick one of those hundred albums I should have listened to long ago and spin it. Picked at random by iTunes: Quadrophenia - The Who. I've had this for years and never listened to it...:reject: Here we go.

Oh lord - probably my third favorite album of all time. I hope that you enjoy it. It's mighty dense, though, mind you.

At the reception proper (during all of the dancing, after food was done) these were the songs he was supposed to play no matter what:

Promenade* - U2
Private Universe* - Crowded House
We Can Work It Out* - The Beatles
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)* - Bruce Springsteen
Buddy Holly* - Weezer
Take Me With U* - Prince
Be My Wife* - David Bowie
Unchained Melody* - The Righteous Brothers
Time After Time* - Cyndi Lauper
God Only Knows* - The Beach Boys
Satellite of Love* - Lou Reed
Strawberry Swing* - Coldplay
Thirteen* - Big Star
Can’t Help Falling in Love* - Elvis Presley
Dance Hall Days* - Wang Chung
Slow Dancing* - U2 f/Willie Nelson
Just Like Heaven * - The Cure
Love Story* - Taylor Swift
Come on Eileen* - Dexy’s Midnight Runners
Swingin’* - John Anderson
Jenny/867-5309* - Tommy Tutone

The songs he DID play:

Promenade
Thirteen
Can't Help Falling in Love
Love Story
and he played the last three because we went up to him and requested them, because those songs were special songs for a few family members of mine.

I was probably most furious at him not playing Just Like Heaven...but there are a lot of songs that made me mad as well.

Guh, not to mention the fact that he got most of his songs off of fucking YOUTUBE. Not even kidding. Didn't even bother to check if they were proper versions or live versions either.

I'll give him credit for one thing, he did at least get the music right for the beginning and the food...the music that we held his hand for and SEQUENCED for him:

5:30: Drinks, arriving etc.

She Doesn’t Get It - The Format
New Religion - Duran Duran
Silver - Echo & The Bunnymen
More Than This - Roxy Music
Six Different Ways - The Cure
Be Near Me - ABC
Everything Counts - Depeche Mode
Love My Way - The Psychedelic Furs
Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie
Digital Love - Daft Punk
Let’s Go Crazy - Prince

6:00: Bridal Party Announced – Music: “I Gotta Feeling” – Black Eyed Peas (This will be provided)

6:10: Toast, Prayer, Buffet Opens: Music resumes with “Feel the Love” – Cut Copy

I Told Her on Alderaan - Neon Neon
Inaugural Trams - Super Furry Animals
Deadbeat Summer - Neon Indian
Song Away - Hockey
The Sweetest Thing - Camera Obscura
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
I Drove All Night - Cydni Lauper
Ultra Violet (Light My Way) - U2
Vcr - The xx
Hysteric - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Slow Show - The National
Lay, Lady, Lay - Bob Dylan
Little Trip to Heaven (On the Wings of Your Love) - Tom Waits
Alright For Now - Tom Petty

7:10: Bar Open/First Dance – “The Promise” – When In Rome

Yeah, the DJ sucked. The worst part was the lack of, like, a soundsystem of any kind. Pretty sure there were two speakers there, on one side of the venue. Another set to distribute sound to other places of the venue would have helped a great deal.

However, as far as wedding receptions go, the playlist was tremendous. At least before the asshole decided to play Puke by Eminem instead of Slow Dancing. He did that because he's an asshole, I think.

But hey, at least I got to dance with my wife to Thirteen.

EVERYTHING, and I'm not exaggerating, EVERYTHING that went wrong at the wedding was the DJ's fault.

He couldn't find the Church, so we had to have the Church's pastor run the music for the wedding, that was the biggest disaster during the ceremony (except we forgot to fill the water in our floating unity candle, so my sister ran and did it when she noticed it). Then he didn't show up to the reception until about an hour before it was supposed to start, which caused me to panic, and be in a lousy mood for about the first 30 minutes of so (and for the two hours after the wedding ended). Then I found out that he was the worst DJ ever, and I pretty much had to hold his hand through the entire thing, even though I wrote him out a clear as crystal itinerary of what was supposed to happen when. He didn't bother to check the volume on the speakers for himself, so I had people complaining to me most of the night about how loud it was.

Ok, so my step dad accidentally taking our car keys and us being locked out of our vehicle after the wedding and the toilets flooding at the reception weren't the DJ's fault, but I'm going to blame him anyways.

And that's why I did my entire wedding's music myself. Playlist on the computer and just tell someone to hit play on the playlist when it was time.

That's probably why you enjoyed the show.

You're kind of right... had I gone in not knowing they weren't playing those tracks, I might have been pissy when they didn't appear.

This crummy weather makes me forget it's mid-May, which makes the fact that it's still light in the sky to the west at 9:30 really surprising.

The cold weather makes me forget we're nearing the solstice!

When we stayed in Banff, it was still kind of light out at like 10, 11 at night. Blew my fucking mind.

Oh lord - probably my third favorite album of all time. I hope that you enjoy it. It's mighty dense, though, mind you.

My fifth favourite of all time. I didn't find it so dense - I loved it from first listen - though the repetition of music can be grating at times.

I love everything I've heard of The Who, and at "Is It In My Head", I absolutely love this album and will need to listen to it several times to absorb everything. Pete Townshend has the unique ability to tell a story over an entire album and not lose his head up his ass during the third act.

Also, John Entwhistle is the best bass player ever.

That's why I think Quadrophenia >>>>>>>>>>>>>*infinity>>> The Wall. The story doesn't get in the way of the music anywhere near as much.

Of the album's 17 tracks, I give perfect 10s to eight of them: The Real Me, Quadrophenia, The Punk and the Godfather, 5:15, Sea and Sand, Bell Boy, Doctor Jimmy and Love Reign O'er Me.

The Rock is my least favourite track, because while it's necessary to the story (it's Jimmy, out at sea, sitting on a rock, pilled out of his mind as his life flashes before his eyes) it's just a musical retread and inferior to Quadrophenia.

Love Story* - Taylor Swift

:cute::cute::cute::heart::heart::heart::cute::cute::cute:

We was bof young, when I first saw u, I close my eyes and the flashback starts im standin there on a balcony of summer air. See da lights, see the party the ball gowns, see u make yr way thru the crowd and say Hello, little did i know that you was romeo you was throwin pebbles

And that's why I did my entire wedding's music myself. Playlist on the computer and just tell someone to hit play on the playlist when it was time.

Well, my cousin was a great DJ, but he quit the business right before my wedding, even though he'd promised to do it. So I was left with no DJ, and hadn't budgeted for one. We were just going to rent the equipment and sequence the wedding ourselves, but we really wanted someone to be there to MC. So, this guy, who does the school dances, said he'd do everything for $100. Lights, sound, etc. I couldn't pass that up, but now I wish I had.

But, don't get me wrong, I blow this out of proportion because it really was the worst part of the wedding. Everything else was wonderful, and it was a great great day.

Heh. Well, he did it for cheap because he's trying to build his reputation around the city. But, uh, yeah, he better hope no one ever asks me what I thought of him.

:cute::cute::cute::heart::heart::heart::cute::cute::cute:

We was bof young, when I first saw u, I close my eyes and the flashback starts im standin there on a balcony of summer air. See da lights, see the party the ball gowns, see u make yr way thru the crowd and say Hello, little did i know that you was romeo you was throwin pebbles

We weren't about to pass that up, no.

Well, he did it for cheap because he's trying to build his reputation around the city.

Well, he succeeded to build a reputation of some kind. At least he did something that night besides eat our food.

lazarus said:
And that just reminded me I never got the post-breakup album of the lead singer's new band, Fun.

You never heard Fun.'s album? It's really great. I might like it more than Dog Problems.

I started a thread for the album when it came out (a thread with all of two posts in it), but I can't figure out how to link to a thread using the app. I copied the first post over for the sake of the Youtube links, which I hope still work

bono_212 said:
As a fan of The Format, I was delighted to find that the lead singer, Nate Ruess, had started a new band (with Andrew Dost from Anathallo and Jack Antonoff from Steel Train). fun.'s debut, Aim and Ignite is a poppy, playful, and slightly over-the-top joy ride, at least for me. If you're familiar with the Format, you'll probably find this to be a better produced, more expansive Dog Problems. Mixed in with what sounds like church choirs, strings, ska lines of trumpets, and a few piano ballads are the themes of love, loss, and...the 80s?

I've tried my best to sum up the album, because I really can't find any reputable magazines that have reviewed it, but, just maybe let the music speak for itself?

YouTube - fun. - All The Pretty Girls [AUDIO]

YouTube - Walking the Dog- fun [[Album Version- HQ]]

Shit, Laz, I didn't know you dug THE FORM! Good call. I like Interventions And Lullabies, it's a very straightforward and thoroughly great set of pop songs, but Dog Problems is superb...self absorbed, sure, but very ambitious, tuneful and cohesive. I get Pick Me Up stuck in my head on the regular.

i need to find a way to convince een to go to two concerts on the 27th. tickets have already been bought for one, the other's just $5, and both venues are within walking distance of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom