Random Music Talk LVI: Featuring Hologram Shouter and NSW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy birthday, glorious Gaffer!

Just got my Sigur Ros ticket. Was worried there for a minute, with the "virtual waiting room" that kept refreshing.

I'm watching Florence + The Machine Unplugged, and it's pretty boring.

I like both the CDs quite a lot, but I don't feel the need to ever see them live again. I wish I recalled more of the first time I saw them - packed club, just as they'd gotten big, but I spent too much time trying to find a good sight-line, and too much time trying to figure out how long I could wait before leaving, because I was so tired.

Saw them in December, and it was good, but not hugely earth-shattering.

Had a good haul at Sonic Boom yesterday. The bus stop is right by the shop, and in the mornings sometimes I'll peek in the window to see if anything good is sitting in the used bins. This week I saw Burst Apart by Antlers, and it was still there when I went yesterday. Huzzah!

Also picked up a copy of the new Mark Lanegan, the last Lotus Plaza record, Fitz and the Tantrums, and something called "I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings," 9 live Radiohead tracks.

I love those 'good find' days at the record shop.

I really wish I liked that new Mark Lanegan album more than I do. It's passable, most of it is of fairly OK quality and it's certainly unusual for him, but it feels so long and diffuse. The production isn't great either.

Whiskey For The Holy Ghost is badass though, I'd recommend that to anyone.

Yeah, I think I ended up throwing all his past solo albums onto my wish list. I did check out the Gutter Twins, and honestly, it didn't do much for me. I had higher hopes for that after hearing the recommendations (and liking both singers).

An Evening with Kevin Smith 3 is on. I'll save you guys from having to watch. It goes like this:

huuurrrr suck a dick durrrrrr fat and sweaty hurrrrrr balls clerks durrrrr

I watched this Kevin Smith standup thing with Ashley's stepdad one morning when my car was snowed in and I had nowhere else to go. It was his first DVD after his ass took up one too many aisles on that airplane.

Guess what he talked about for a fucking hour?

Any of you guys familiar with Motorpsycho? I just finished hearing all 96 minutes of Timothy's Monster, and I think I really love these guys. Great mid-90s grungy psychedelia from Norway.

I watched this Kevin Smith standup thing with Ashley's stepdad one morning when my car was snowed in and I had nowhere else to go. It was his first DVD after his ass took up one too many aisles on that airplane.

Guess what he talked about for a fucking hour?

While all the other films I've seen have their moments (Mallrats, Clerks, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Dogma), I'm convinced the only thing actually worth keeping is Chasing Amy.

Tarantino is a jackass too, but at least he's got talent to burn and makes consistently entertaining and creative films.

Smith...not so much. Funny that with only two films under his belt, Ben Affleck has proven to be a far superior director.

Also picked up a copy of the new Mark Lanegan, the last Lotus Plaza record, Fitz and the Tantrums, and something called "I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings," 9 live Radiohead tracks.

I'm halfway through the new Mark Lanegan and I like it. The songs are long, and track six should be a lot shorter. I still love the Gutter Twins record and I'm still pissed I had to miss them live. Stupid intestinal crap from India. :angry:

And oh shit, that's the Radiohead disc I play most often. Probably.

Too late, just got home.

844791a2.jpg

M83 - Mirror, Beach House - Lazuli b/w Equal Mind (not on Bloom) and St Vincent - Krokodil b/w Grot were the RSD releases.

Got Kaputt because it's got four bonus tracks I haven't heard.

And what's this forum's take on Aeroplane Over Sea? Didn't blow me away after one, ONE, spin. I think there's such a thing as too much acoustic guitar. And if I wanna listen to The Decemberists I'll listen to The Decemberists.

Too late, just got home.

M83 - Mirror, Beach House - Lazuli b/w Equal Mind (not on Bloom) and St Vincent - Krokodil b/w Grot were the RSD releases.

Got Kaputt because it's got four bonus tracks I haven't heard.

And what's this forum's take on Aeroplane Over Sea? Didn't blow me away after one, ONE, spin. I think there's such a thing as too much acoustic guitar. And if I wanna listen to The Decemberists I'll listen to The Decemberists.

I didn't know that Beach House had released another song from the upcoming album - how does it sound? As for Aeroplane, I realize its significance to the indie community without really liking it too much myself. I would listen to it more frequently if Magnum didn't sound like his vocal cords were going to snap from strain throughout the whole thing.

I didn't know that Beach House had released another song from the upcoming album - how does it sound? As for Aeroplane, I realize its significance to the indie community without really liking it too much myself. I would listen to it more frequently if Magnum didn't sound like his vocal cords were going to snap from strain throughout the whole thing.

Pretty good... my record player is pretty crappy though. I don't like the big two-inch hole in the centre as opposed to the 1cm either.

And yes, agree... it took all my strength not to toss the thing out the window when King of Carrot Flowers part two began and he was screaming "I love you Jesus Christ" for like 30 seconds. (maybe I'm missing the joke? I hope so.)

I see it's also one of those albums that gets convoluted praise such as "impenetrable yet wholly accessible". It can't be both.

How's "Krokodil?" I can't wait to get my hands on that in 12 hours. Skipping the Beach House single since I've got the album preordered.

I FINALLY got Since I Left You in today. Can't believe I finally own it. It was a blast to listen to. On to De Stijl, which also came in today.

Oh, and you're going to love The Fearless Freaks. What a fun film (famous Drozd scene excepted). Makes me wish I lived here in the days of the parking garage experiments and Wayne rolling around downtown in the zorb. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Fearless Freaks is one of my favorite documentaries, just an absolute joy for fans. I've watched it with non-fans also, and they were ingratiated by it. The band has such a great story, and they are one of the rare ones that continued having crazy-ass adventures once they blew up. I love that Wayne still runs around scaring neighborhood kids.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is probably the most overrated album of all time. It's decent, and that's as far as I'll go.

How's "Krokodil?" I can't wait to get my hands on that in 12 hours. Skipping the Beach House single since I've got the album preordered.

I FINALLY got Since I Left You in today. Can't believe I finally own it. It was a blast to listen to. On to De Stijl, which also came in today.

It's great. It's got an awesome little solo which isn't in the live version because you can't really play a solo when you're crowdsurfing. And oh man, wait until you hear the b-side, Grot. If either of these tracks are signs of things to come...

Just bought Since I Left You off ebay. That I haven't even heard it has been an oversight on my behalf for too long.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is probably the most overrated album of all time. It's decent, and that's as far as I'll go.

Interesting. So many people hold it in such high regard. My tastes have really been shaped by this forum, which has been awesome, but sometimes it's been a hindrance. My mind is a little closed off at times (will always be to metal, sorry Ax, scums, et al).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom