Random Music Talk CII: Brazilian Style, the longer it takes, the closer it gets.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate Rent so much. I don't mind musicals at all, but Rent is everything I hate about them. Sing-talking the lines is just about the worst thing you can ever do, ever.

Also, at no point does it provide any sort of compelling evidence that Kanye is a deity who deserves to be worshipped.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference to annoy Cobbler

I read your article and it's a good article, but if I am completely honest it does not make me want to worship at the church of Yeezus. For example, where's the evidence that Kanye's desire to branch out into fashion and architecture (?) or whatever else is more than talk?

Or that that would be a good thing? Full props to the guy for not being safe, I get that, but becoming a hip hop Steve Jobs, or trying to, is not in itself particularly dangerous.

I didn't write the headline (although it's probably what I would have written anyway lol). There's a little bit of facetiousness on my part. The fashion stuff, he's met with plenty of top-level designers before and been shot down, and he's also had some successes, like with shoes for example. I'm not really making comment on whether it would be a good thing or not, I just (honestly) think it's admirable that he would want to branch out and affect the world in other ways too. Like, good on him. I wish I had that passion and drive. And I think it's reasonable to ask if the criticism levelled at him for expressing that is fair.

Some of the criticism levelled at him is probably quite unfair.

But when I see figures trying to branch out left right and centre I think 'dilution of vision'. It wasn't actually all that hard to be a polymath when the entire cultural, political, scientific and artistic community of a continent could comfortably fit in one ballroom. Nowadays... I dunno.

I hate Rent so much. I don't mind musicals at all, but Rent is everything I hate about them. Sing-talking the lines is just about the worst thing you can ever do, ever.

Having only been subjected to the soundtrack in pieces, and some of those pieces I grudgingly accept as ok songs, but I've been happily unaware of that sort of thing. I don't actually watch musicals, and that's generally the reason why. Singing lines that should be spoken is generally as irritating as it gets.

Now someone downstairs is singing karaoke into a microphone, so loudly, that the floor is shaking....the people across the street are still performing Rent....It is 9:00 PM.

The only "musical" I like is All That Jazz.

I'm going to listen to some Sleater-Kinney to drown this shit out.

I have a guy that walks by rapping every night at 9pm. I asked him if he had any gum the other night. Just kept on rapping.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Then you'll probably dislike this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBYfA3zTxFE

Oh, is this the part where we all laugh at me again for how many strange looks I've gotten while singing along loudly to "Stars" while driving in my car?

Because outside of maybe 4 or 5 songs from some scattered musicals that I question why I even know exist, that is the only musical (although I would never say that particular version) I like.

Anyone have songs they hate on their favorite albums? I was listening to The Stone Roses debut today, and realized I've pretty much hated Don't Stop since the first time I heard it.

Anyone have songs they hate on their favorite albums? I was listening to The Stone Roses debut today, and realized I've pretty much hated Don't Stop since the first time I heard it.

I hate Babyface but Zooropa is still my favorite album of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Lovers Rock. I've gotten past my old hatred for The Right Profile, but cannot get past that one.

Wild Honey Pie is the only thing I can think of, and that's more of an annoying diversion than something that I'd use the word "hate" for.

Not sure how people can detest a song and still claim the album as one of their favs. I don't think I hate any songs on any album in my Top 10.

That song is really, really cool. But I think Elvis Presley And America is awesome too for being an earlier track in reverse.

why?? what is there to hate about this song?? it's so fucking gorgeous

It's awful...awful, awful, awful, and I rue the day I was forced to listen to it live.

I've recorded some audio of this absurdity going on, right now. I don't know if you'll be able to hear it or not.

:( I love racing in the street. But I'm with 212er on meeting across the river.

Meeting and Racing are both classics.

Fitter Happier is just a diversion, too. But I absolutely NEVER listen to it, so it counts for thia discussion. It's a top five album of all-time for me and there's a track on it that I've heard maybe twice in the last 10 years.

See, I can't imagine OK Computer without Fitter Happier. It's got phenomenal imagery and it's so creepy.

Then again, I can't remember the last time I skipped a track on an album. I think I listened to College Dropout once without listening to all 12 minutes of Last Call.

I actually like Fitter Happier, for whatever reason.

I also don't like Racing in the Street and I've also seen it live.

I love Fitter Happier. Fits well thematically, is a nice counterpoint between the two halves, has a great atmosphere with all the noises in the background, and I think the lyrics are great too, they really nail that anxious, trying-to-be-positive-amidst-the-chaos vibe.

Back
Top Bottom