"radiohead's lp7": countdown and anticipation thread - part iii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dalton said:
I got up and prayed this morning and my prayer went like this: "Dear God, please let Radiohead's album leak today. Amen."

You're still going to have to wait another 9 days. :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It's interesting how U2 sometimes get accused of screwing over the die hards for the casual fan, but when Radiohead do it, they get praises of "innovative", "brave", "a big F U to the record industry", etc...

It's quite funny.

Thank you for quoting me. :wink:

So... the diehards get the chance to legally download the album for free and that is "screwing"?

Nobody has to buy the album for 80 bucks.

djerdap said:

So... the diehards get the chance to legally download the album for free and that is "screwing"?

Will the diehards not feel they have to cough up 80 big ones for the sake of completeness?

roy said:

Will the diehards not feel they have to cough up 80 big ones for the sake of completeness?

Not if they can wait a few months for a formal release, which you know will happen.

This is Yankee Hotel Foxtrot all over again.

LemonMelon said:

Not if they can wait a few months for a formal release, which you know will happen.

This is Yankee Hotel Foxtrot all over again.

But will diehard fans want to wait for months? If I was a diehard fan I would want it asap.

roy said:

Some of them, yeah. But aren't we overestimating the number of these die hards who will buy the 80 buck edition? Like I said in the other thread, this will probably not cover the so-called "losses" from all those people who will purchase the album for free or for a very low price.

Oh and another point... the likely reason why the price is so high for the Discbox is that Radiohead is distributing it on their own expense. No label.

Last edited:
djerdap said:

No, I'm talking about how people will bitch about how U2 put 2 new tracks on U2 18, knowing die hards will buy it. Nobody had to buy U218 but the diehards that wanted those 2 tracks did. Well now the diehards that want the b-sides be it 7 tracks or 10 tracks will have to fork over $80, which seems high regardless of the exchange rate.

So I payed $14 for 2 new tracks and the Milan DVD, and some poor RH diehard fan pays $80 for 10 songs(that's probably generous) doesn't exactly sit well with me. Yet many are praising it.

My guess is that a 2-CD edition will appear at a more traditional price. Rolling Stone has already reported that a CD release is anticipated for early 2008.
[Edit] My apologies, I ought to have read the preceding pages first. My source for the Rolling Stone article is Greenplastic.com, by the way. I make no claims to the site's reliability, or lack thereof.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, I'm talking about how people will bitch about how U2 put 2 new tracks on U2 18, knowing die hards will buy it. Nobody had to buy U218 but the diehards that wanted those 2 tracks did. Well now the diehards that want the b-sides be it 7 tracks or 10 tracks will have to fork over $80, which seems high regardless of the exchange rate.

So I payed $14 for 2 new tracks and the Milan DVD, and some poor RH diehard fan pays $80 for 10 songs(that's probably generous) doesn't exactly sit well with me. Yet many are praising it.

well, if the diehards can wait a few months for the formal release then they won't have to pay the $80 bucks but my guess is that most will fork over the dough because they can't wait that long.

Just my IMO, but if they are going to tour this new album (and why wouldn't they) they will have to promote it somehow and to do that they will need to release the CD commercially thru regular avenues (if they don't create their own record label which I still think is a possibility).

Last edited:
djerdap said:

Some of them, yeah. But aren't we overestimating the number of these die hards who will buy the 80 buck edition? Like I said in the other thread, this will probably not cover the so-called "losses" from all those people who will purchase the album for free or for a very low price.

Oh and another point... the likely reason why the price is so high for the Discbox is that Radiohead is distributing it on their own expense. No label.

I don't buy that reasoning. Not having a label means ALL of the money will go to Radiohead. No middleman to share the profits. They don't have a manager like McGuinne$$ either, sharing 1/6 of their earnings either.

The discboxes won't be sent out until December, which means they haven't even been produced yet. They will make as many as they need to based on what's been ordered, and that way they're not sitting on a bunch of product. What I hope happens is that relatively few people are willing to play ball with the 40 pounds extravagance, and that the band realizes they either need to knock that price down or offer a third alternative, but who knows when they capitulate.

The fewer the special editions they produce, the more they're each going to cost to make. But had they made the price lower, they could have paid the manufacturers less at a bulk rate. Perhaps it evens out, but I still think they could have made even more money (and satisfied more fans) had they priced it differently.

lazarus said:

I don't buy that reasoning. Not having a label means ALL of the money will go to Radiohead. No middleman to share the profits. They don't have a manager like McGuinne$$ either, sharing 1/6 of their earnings either.

The discboxes won't be sent out until December, which means they haven't even been produced yet. They will make as many as they need to based on what's been ordered, and that way they're not sitting on a bunch of product. What I hope happens is that relatively few people are willing to play ball with the 40 pounds extravagance, and that the band realizes they either need to knock that price down or offer a third alternative, but who knows when they capitulate.

The fewer the special editions they produce, the more they're each going to cost to make. But had they made the price lower, they could have paid the manufacturers less at a bulk rate. Perhaps it evens out, but I still think they could have made even more money (and satisfied more fans) had they priced it differently.

I agree to an extent. Radiohead are certainly not trying to be saints here. But they are distributing their music smartly and could make some positive changes to the music industry today.

I rest my case.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

well, if the diehards can wait a few months for the formal release then they won't have to pay the $80 bucks but my guess is that most will fork over the dough because they can't wait that long.

Why? Is there any evidence that they are releasing the second disc in any format other than the deluxe version?:huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Why? Is there any evidence that they are releasing the second disc in any format other than the deluxe version?:huh:

Wikipedia, the most reliable source on teh internetz.

After deliberating last night and today, I'm going to the LemonMelon route. Great minds do think alike I guess.

In all honesty, despite my purchase of the discbox (the collector and fanatic inside of me swayed that decision), I sort of wish they hadn't, nor ever would offer a hard version of the album.

What they'll doing here with the digital download is fairly progressive and is really a remarkable move for such a huge band. They're already raising the bar for the music industry with this. So yeah, I hope to God they never release a standard CD version of the album, and really continue to push this digital distribution. Maybe, like someone earlier said, this will really kickstart a trend that has been laying in wait for some time now. And on top of a purely digital future, maybe the industry will continue to rely less on the major record co.'s and bands will be able to finance themselves more or simply help the growth of hundreds of indie labels instead.

Either way, this is a great idea, brilliant business stradegy, and hopefully a stepping stone for the industry as a whole.

djerdap said:

I agree to an extent. Radiohead are certainly not trying to be saints here. But they are distributing their music smartly and could make some positive changes to the music industry today.

I rest my case.

It's a refreshing thing that they're doing, but what I fear is that the whole complete "album" experience is going to be regarded as an expensive novelty, which would not be welcome collateral damage in the process of getting rid of the record labels.

Overall, I like this move. I just wish they had constructed it a little differently.

Band most likely to follow in these footsteps: The Arcade Fire.

Yeah laz, you bring a great point about the "album experience", which is one thing the digital revolution really hasn't helped at all. That's my least favorite aspect of iTunes and Napster and the like, the destruction of the "album".

Hopefully someone will figure out a better way to maintain the best of both worlds.

Smaller bands have been doing this through MySpace and other networking sites for a while now, so I'm glad a major band stepped up to do this, but for the 56th time, it's too expensive.

Whoever mentioned Yankee Hotel Foxtrot may be onto something, too.

And Lance, I'm getting the Blade Runner DVD, but the 2-Disc one. I already have the Director's Cut, although it's the "glorified Laserdisc transfer" DVD.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

no not yet, I am JUST speculating that they would make this offer to the general public too. Why would they not? Of course, anything is possible and maybe they won't.

Again, as I mentioned they will probably promote this album for the inevitable tour sometime probably next year so wouldn't they make these songs available too (to the general public)?

I guess I need to state 'fact' or 'IMO' next time I post unlike anyone else in this thread. :|

I thought I would be the only one with a Waste registration....I thought I'd have a nice surprise for all of you.....

I know some folks seem upset about the 40 pounds, but I think it's a pretty great deal. It INCLUDES shipping and (to quote the site): "THIS CONSISTS OF THE NEW ALBUM, IN RAINBOWS, ON CD
AND ON 2 X 12 INCH HEAVYWEIGHT VINYL RECORDS.
A SECOND, ENHANCED CD CONTAINS MORE NEW SONGS, ALONG WITH DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND ARTWORK.
THE DISCBOX ALSO INCLUDES ARTWORK AND LYRIC BOOKLETS.
ALL ARE ENCASED IN A HARDBACK BOOK AND SLIPCASE.

THE ALBUM DOWNLOAD AUTOMATICALLY COMES WITH THIS PACK.
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE FILE DIGITALLY FROM THE 10TH OCTOBER 2007.

DISCBOXES ARE BEING MADE TO ORDER AND ARE PRICED AT £40.00 INCLUDING POSTAGE.
SHIPPING WILL BEGIN ON OR BEFORE 3RD DECEMBER 2007."

Lancemc said:
Yeah laz, you bring a great point about the "album experience", which is one thing the digital revolution really hasn't helped at all. That's my least favorite aspect of iTunes and Napster and the like, the destruction of the "album".

Hopefully someone will figure out a better way to maintain the best of both worlds.

I hope so too! I am also one who still loves and wants the CD to have. I can't think of anything (certainly not digitial downloads as a replacement for it, just another option available) that could accomplish this, however look what happened to the Vinyl LP for many years.

Nothing like reading the liner notes in a CD, that's my fav part..:wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Thanks, we got that info about 5 pages back already.
Jeez. 5 PAGES! Then why do people consider this a bad deal? Shipping + Vinyl (which is quite expensive) + digital download on Oct 10 + extra disc + hardcover casing! That's amazing! And Radiohead aren't gonna waste it on extravagance like Bono. They're gonna use their money for good. It's almost like giving to a charity!

I was actually hoping the new album would come out next year, though. I'm gonna be busy in early December, and I wanted to savor waiting....:unsure: I guess I'm the only one.....but I actually didn't listen to all of The Eraser in 2006 because I was so full of new songs Radiohead were playing live I didn't think I could appreciate all of it.

I REALLY hope people won't steal from the band online, and just pay for the digital download. But there are always a bunch of upper class brats with high speed internet connections who complain that they need their money for booze and drugs! :angry:

I saw the tracklisting:

What about "Down is the New Up" (I witnessed its premiere) and "Go Slowly" and "Spooks" and "Open Pick" and even crappy "Bangers n Mash" and "Burn the Witch" (which no one's really heard). Is 10 tracks even enough? :(

Oh, wait. I just saw this:
MK 1
DOWN IS THE NEW UP
GO SLOWLY
MK 2
LAST FLOWERS
UP ON THE LADDER
BANGERS AND MASH
4 MINUTE WARNING

OOOhhhh, Last Flowers!
Why aren't they on vinyl? At least they're on CD, though. I love you, Radiohead!

Last edited:
I personally think it's a bit too expensive, but THAT isn't the "real" release of the album. They're doing that for the fanatics and collectors who want the whole shebangabang.

If you're one of the types who just buys the regular albums upon release, or doesn't care enough about Radiohead to buy limited editions or imports or stuff like that, the DISCBOX isn't intended for you. And this is where I start to get confused about the whole uproar over this. YOU ARENT GETTING A REGULAR CD RELEASE. Not anytime soon anyway. The regular release of the album is digital. Just pay for it (50 cents if you're a cheap bastard, they don't care) and there you have it. You aren't getting a paper art and lyric book. That's tough shit. Welcome to the future of the industry. Deny it or hate it all you want, but one day everything is going to be digital. Better start getting used to it.

Muldfeld said:

I REALLY hope people won't steal from the band online, and just pay for the digital download. But there are always a bunch of upper class brats with high speed internet connections who complain that they need their money for booze and drugs! :angry:

What the fuck are you talking about?

I don't have 80 dollars to spend on one band's album, regardless of who they are. I use my money for going out, eating out, gas, and maybe the occasional DVD/album buy, not for booze and drugs.

Nor do I want to have to pay for vinyl, which I'll never be able to use because I don't have a record player. I'm buying this album at some point, regardless, the best thing to do is download it, then buy it when it hits 2 CD release.

Then I might consider buying my cocaine and Jack Daniels.

Muldfeld said:

I saw the tracklisting:

What about "Down is the New Up" (I witnessed its premiere) and "Go Slowly" and "Spooks" and "Open Pick" and even crappy "Bangers n Mash" and "Burn the Witch" (which no one's really heard). Is 10 tracks even enough? :(

Open Pick is on the album. It's track 9, and just has a different name.

The other tracks didn't make it. Go Slowly and DITNU are b-side material now, as they should be.

and 10 tracks is plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom