Radiohead vs Coldplay - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2005, 03:55 AM   #181
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,129
Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
yes both the Smiths and Radiohead were/are good. I usually find that people who like one, also like the other but there are exceptions.
Yeah there are exceptions. I hate The Smiths and Radiohead are a fabulous band who have released 2 of the finest albums ever recorded. I know that Radiohead have said that they like The Smiths in the past but I find absolutley NO connection to either band in the music or anything else. They are like chalk and cheese. One is absolutley CRAP and the other absolutley BRILLIANT!
__________________

__________________
rjhbonovox is offline  
Old 06-13-2005, 06:22 AM   #182
Refugee
 
bedouin fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: lisbon
Posts: 1,374
Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine



The fact that Coldplay, an unfashionable band with an unfashionable lead singer unfashionable music for the 21st century, CAN generate some kind of mainstream appeal is quite admirable in this day and age.

This is a great statement, and i agree 1000%. Especially because that was the exact feeling about u2 in the early 80's and they were also trashed by the fans of the established bands of that time.
__________________

__________________
bedouin fire is offline  
Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,950
Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96


you're right - it's not daring. but they said this album was going to be about them stretching their musical ability.

do you honestly think they have?


exactly.

Yeah I do.

X&Y is a long way from Parachutes, and seems to be a natural (yet adventurous) progression from AROBTTH.

Talk
White Shadows
Twisted Logic
X&Y
Square One

All these songs exhibit something new from Coldplay. Synthesiers are utilised as Coldplay never has done before, and to actually to construct a song around a Kraftwerk original is a remarkable decision for a band like Coldplay, especially considering their reliance upon piano and the rather limited vocal Martin provides.

Granted, X&Y is nowehere near as "daring" as Achtung Baby, Unforgettable Fire, Kid A, Sgt Peppers......

....but does it need to be?

Of course not! That is not what music is all about and that is not the ONLY indicator as to whether a band is any good or not. To think so is just plain stupidity or arrogance.

It is important for bands to make alterations to their own sound over time (be them large or small). They don't have to go out and revolutionise music all together.

X&Y is not as "daring" as other albums, but it does exhibit the band's willingness to try and revamp their own sound and expand their own musical horizons.

And regarding them "stretching their musical ability." Personally, I don't think they have "mastered their musicianship" yet. Indeed, they are masters at songcrafting, yet I don't feel they are as qualified or confident as Radiohead or U2 to try anything "way out there" (kid a, unforgettable fire) yet.

Give them time.....let them establish themselves as musicians first.

If, after 5-6 albums, they are still writing songs like Speed of Sound, Proof and A Message, I'd probably be over them too...
__________________
intedomine is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #184
Refugee
 
jacobus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 1,601
Local Time: 03:49 AM
again COLDPLAY is not influental as it is Radiohead...the coldplayers are lukewarm boring farts...
__________________
jacobus is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 07:32 AM   #185
Refugee
 
The OOTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Everything in its right place.
Posts: 1,469
Local Time: 07:49 PM
Radiohead is not exciting in the least.
__________________
The OOTS is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 07:38 AM   #186
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The OOTS
Radiohead is not exciting in the least.


Must people continue to stir up the shit?
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 AM   #187
Refugee
 
The OOTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Everything in its right place.
Posts: 1,469
Local Time: 07:49 PM
Read the post above mine.

Answer is ...yes...must be done.
__________________
The OOTS is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:09 AM   #188
Refugee
 
bsp77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,956
Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine



Yeah I do.

X&Y is a long way from Parachutes, and seems to be a natural (yet adventurous) progression from AROBTTH.

Talk
White Shadows
Twisted Logic
X&Y
Square One

All these songs exhibit something new from Coldplay. Synthesiers are utilised as Coldplay never has done before, and to actually to construct a song around a Kraftwerk original is a remarkable decision for a band like Coldplay, especially considering their reliance upon piano and the rather limited vocal Martin provides.

Granted, X&Y is nowehere near as "daring" as Achtung Baby, Unforgettable Fire, Kid A, Sgt Peppers......

....but does it need to be?

Of course not! That is not what music is all about and that is not the ONLY indicator as to whether a band is any good or not. To think so is just plain stupidity or arrogance.

It is important for bands to make alterations to their own sound over time (be them large or small). They don't have to go out and revolutionise music all together.

X&Y is not as "daring" as other albums, but it does exhibit the band's willingness to try and revamp their own sound and expand their own musical horizons.

And regarding them "stretching their musical ability." Personally, I don't think they have "mastered their musicianship" yet. Indeed, they are masters at songcrafting, yet I don't feel they are as qualified or confident as Radiohead or U2 to try anything "way out there" (kid a, unforgettable fire) yet.

Give them time.....let them establish themselves as musicians first.

If, after 5-6 albums, they are still writing songs like Speed of Sound, Proof and A Message, I'd probably be over them too...
The album is musically adventurous. It is basically Progressive Rock at times, which is not the safest road to take. If you want safe and unadventurous, check out ATYCLB and HTDAAB. That doesn't mean I think they are bad albums, quite the contrary.

As for the question though, I have to go with Radiohead.
__________________
bsp77 is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 03:49 AM
I would just like to ask an honest question.

I have the first two Coldplay albums, not the new one.

To me, the first two are ok records but obviously owe a strong debt to The Unforgettable Fire.

Now what exactly about the new one makes it such an adventurous step forward?
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #190
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Now what exactly about the new one makes it such an adventurous step forward?
Nothing. It's more like The Unforgettable Fire than the first two put together.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
1stepcloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,764
Local Time: 03:49 AM
Radiohead = most overrated band i've ever heard.

I bought OK Computer a couple of years ago expecting to been blown away after reading the reviews ect....what an anti-climax that was

i was getting into U2 at the same time and it became clear that they were somewhat better.

Coldplay over Radiohead every time
__________________
1stepcloser is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #192
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,129
Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Radiohead = most overrated band i've ever heard.

I bought OK Computer a couple of years ago expecting to been blown away after reading the reviews ect....what an anti-climax that was

i was getting into U2 at the same time and it became clear that they were somewhat better.

Coldplay over Radiohead every time
heheeh if you think OK Computer is a mediocre album then I pity your musical taste. It's probably the 2nd greatest album of all time, behind Achtung Baby, the songs on that album are amazing, Subteranean Homesick Alien is an absolute superb song, can't you hear the beauty in that album. Woow if not then you need to syringe your ears.
__________________
rjhbonovox is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #193
Blue Crack Addict
 
Lancemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ba Sing Se
Posts: 17,665
Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox


heheeh if you think OK Computer is a mediocre album then I pity your musical taste. It's probably the 2nd greatest album of all time, behind Achtung Baby, the songs on that album are amazing, Subteranean Homesick Alien is an absolute superb song, can't you hear the beauty in that album. Woow if not then you need to syringe your ears.
Oh my God. My world is crumbling around me. I can't believe this. I think I might just agree with you rj. Amazing. Though I also think The Bends is better than OK Computer.
__________________
Lancemc is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #194
Refugee
 
bsp77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,956
Local Time: 08:49 PM
Remind me never to listen to the opinion of someone that dislikes OK Computer.
__________________
bsp77 is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #195
Refugee
 
The OOTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Everything in its right place.
Posts: 1,469
Local Time: 07:49 PM
OK Computer IS one of the best albums of all time. However, there are many I'd rank above it.

Off the top of my head, U2 has two of them .... JT and AB.
__________________

__________________
The OOTS is offline  
 

Tags
coldplay, radiohead

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com