Radiohead vs Coldplay - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2005, 03:55 AM   #181
Refugee

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
yes both the Smiths and Radiohead were/are good. I usually find that people who like one, also like the other but there are exceptions.
Yeah there are exceptions. I hate The Smiths and Radiohead are a fabulous band who have released 2 of the finest albums ever recorded. I know that Radiohead have said that they like The Smiths in the past but I find absolutley NO connection to either band in the music or anything else. They are like chalk and cheese. One is absolutley CRAP and the other absolutley BRILLIANT!

Old 06-13-2005, 06:22 AM   #182
Refugee

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

The fact that Coldplay, an unfashionable band with an unfashionable lead singer unfashionable music for the 21st century, CAN generate some kind of mainstream appeal is quite admirable in this day and age.

This is a great statement, and i agree 1000%. Especially because that was the exact feeling about u2 in the early 80's and they were also trashed by the fans of the established bands of that time.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #183
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

you're right - it's not daring. but they said this album was going to be about them stretching their musical ability.

do you honestly think they have?

exactly.

Yeah I do.

X&Y is a long way from Parachutes, and seems to be a natural (yet adventurous) progression from AROBTTH.

Talk
White Shadows
Twisted Logic
X&Y
Square One

All these songs exhibit something new from Coldplay. Synthesiers are utilised as Coldplay never has done before, and to actually to construct a song around a Kraftwerk original is a remarkable decision for a band like Coldplay, especially considering their reliance upon piano and the rather limited vocal Martin provides.

Granted, X&Y is nowehere near as "daring" as Achtung Baby, Unforgettable Fire, Kid A, Sgt Peppers......

....but does it need to be?

Of course not! That is not what music is all about and that is not the ONLY indicator as to whether a band is any good or not. To think so is just plain stupidity or arrogance.

It is important for bands to make alterations to their own sound over time (be them large or small). They don't have to go out and revolutionise music all together.

X&Y is not as "daring" as other albums, but it does exhibit the band's willingness to try and revamp their own sound and expand their own musical horizons.

And regarding them "stretching their musical ability." Personally, I don't think they have "mastered their musicianship" yet. Indeed, they are masters at songcrafting, yet I don't feel they are as qualified or confident as Radiohead or U2 to try anything "way out there" (kid a, unforgettable fire) yet.

Give them time.....let them establish themselves as musicians first.

If, after 5-6 albums, they are still writing songs like Speed of Sound, Proof and A Message, I'd probably be over them too...
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #184
Refugee

again COLDPLAY is not influental as it is Radiohead...the coldplayers are lukewarm boring farts...
Old 06-17-2005, 07:32 AM   #185
Refugee

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Radiohead is not exciting in the least.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:38 AM   #186
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The OOTS
Radiohead is not exciting in the least.

Must people continue to stir up the shit?
Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 AM   #187
Refugee

Read the post above mine.

Answer is ...yes...must be done.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:09 AM   #188
Refugee

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Yeah I do.

X&Y is a long way from Parachutes, and seems to be a natural (yet adventurous) progression from AROBTTH.

Talk
White Shadows
Twisted Logic
X&Y
Square One

All these songs exhibit something new from Coldplay. Synthesiers are utilised as Coldplay never has done before, and to actually to construct a song around a Kraftwerk original is a remarkable decision for a band like Coldplay, especially considering their reliance upon piano and the rather limited vocal Martin provides.

Granted, X&Y is nowehere near as "daring" as Achtung Baby, Unforgettable Fire, Kid A, Sgt Peppers......

....but does it need to be?

Of course not! That is not what music is all about and that is not the ONLY indicator as to whether a band is any good or not. To think so is just plain stupidity or arrogance.

It is important for bands to make alterations to their own sound over time (be them large or small). They don't have to go out and revolutionise music all together.

X&Y is not as "daring" as other albums, but it does exhibit the band's willingness to try and revamp their own sound and expand their own musical horizons.

And regarding them "stretching their musical ability." Personally, I don't think they have "mastered their musicianship" yet. Indeed, they are masters at songcrafting, yet I don't feel they are as qualified or confident as Radiohead or U2 to try anything "way out there" (kid a, unforgettable fire) yet.

Give them time.....let them establish themselves as musicians first.

If, after 5-6 albums, they are still writing songs like Speed of Sound, Proof and A Message, I'd probably be over them too...
The album is musically adventurous. It is basically Progressive Rock at times, which is not the safest road to take. If you want safe and unadventurous, check out ATYCLB and HTDAAB. That doesn't mean I think they are bad albums, quite the contrary.

As for the question though, I have to go with Radiohead.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life

I would just like to ask an honest question.

I have the first two Coldplay albums, not the new one.

To me, the first two are ok records but obviously owe a strong debt to The Unforgettable Fire.

Now what exactly about the new one makes it such an adventurous step forward?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #190
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Now what exactly about the new one makes it such an adventurous step forward?
Nothing. It's more like The Unforgettable Fire than the first two put together.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #191
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Radiohead = most overrated band i've ever heard.

I bought OK Computer a couple of years ago expecting to been blown away after reading the reviews ect....what an anti-climax that was

i was getting into U2 at the same time and it became clear that they were somewhat better.

Coldplay over Radiohead every time
Old 06-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #192
Refugee

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Radiohead = most overrated band i've ever heard.

I bought OK Computer a couple of years ago expecting to been blown away after reading the reviews ect....what an anti-climax that was

i was getting into U2 at the same time and it became clear that they were somewhat better.

Coldplay over Radiohead every time
heheeh if you think OK Computer is a mediocre album then I pity your musical taste. It's probably the 2nd greatest album of all time, behind Achtung Baby, the songs on that album are amazing, Subteranean Homesick Alien is an absolute superb song, can't you hear the beauty in that album. Woow if not then you need to syringe your ears.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox

heheeh if you think OK Computer is a mediocre album then I pity your musical taste. It's probably the 2nd greatest album of all time, behind Achtung Baby, the songs on that album are amazing, Subteranean Homesick Alien is an absolute superb song, can't you hear the beauty in that album. Woow if not then you need to syringe your ears.
Oh my God. My world is crumbling around me. I can't believe this. I think I might just agree with you rj. Amazing. Though I also think The Bends is better than OK Computer.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #194
Refugee

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Remind me never to listen to the opinion of someone that dislikes OK Computer.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #195
Refugee

OK Computer IS one of the best albums of all time. However, there are many I'd rank above it.

Off the top of my head, U2 has two of them .... JT and AB.

Tags
coldplay, radiohead