Radiohead Survivor - Kid A - Semifinal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite Song

• Everything In Its Right Place

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • The National Anthem

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • How To Disappear Completely

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Optimistic

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Idioteque

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:
For once, I'm in complete disagreement with LMP. Optimistic, HTDC, and Everything In Its Right Place should all move on. :up:

The thing about this album though is that, strong as the songs are separately, they're nothing without one another. For instance, EITRP is kind of weak sauce without Kid A following it up. :slant:

Your first paragraph is right on.

Your second paragraph not so much for me. EIIRP doesn't lose anything by not having Kid A after it, imo.

Zootlesque said:

Take Reckoner out and I agree with that. :wink: Still... Kid A is freaking Kid A. Every song on Kid A is still higher than every song on Rainbows for me.

Agreed...Kid A is KID A

In Rainbows is fantastic, but I don't think its better than KID A :no:

Zootlesque said:

Take Reckoner out and I agree with that. :wink: Still... Kid A is freaking Kid A. Every song on Kid A is still higher than every song on Rainbows for me.

It's gonna happen Zoots. One day, you'll just be posting something somewhere not really paying attention to your tunes and Reckoner will start playing at random and you'll have that stop-typing-in-mid-sentence 'holy shit what is this playing, it's brilliant' moments. It'll hit you. I don't know when, but it will. You'll see. :wink:

xaviMF22 said:

Agreed...Kid A is KID A

In Rainbows is fantastic, but I don't think its better than KID A :no:

It's close, but it's not. You're right.

But as a collection of songs, In Rainbows is better. Solely my opinion of course.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts for me, but there are enough stand outs for single listens.

I can listen to songs from In Rainbows out of context more often than ones from Kid A.

Now THIS I agree with. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

But as a collection of songs, In Rainbows is better. Solely my opinion of course.

:up:

as an "album" I prefer Kid A

but you're right as individual songs nothing beats 15 Step, Jigsaw, Arpeggi

or Nude :drool:

Hell, even House of Cards beats Nude. No insult to House of Cards though, I'm beginning to see what it means.

Whatever disagreements I may have, I should save my energy for the Amnesiac draw. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of arguing against the current on that one.

I can just see the lot of you trying to vote off Life In A Glass House in the early rounds. :tsk:

:wink:

namkcuR said:
Whatever disagreements I may have, I should save my energy for the Amnesiac draw. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of arguing against the current on that one.

I can just see the lot of you trying to vote off Life In A Glass House in the early rounds. :tsk:

or pyramind song

I wonder who'll vote for pyramid song :tsk:

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's still too early for me to call this one. Kid A is a masterpiece imo. But I've listened to something from IR every friggin day since I downloaded it and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. It is definitely a major record for me, one of those records that defines a whole season and corresponds with important events in my life. So in a sense, for me it's irrelevant which record is better since they both played a similar role.

joyfulgirl said:

It's still too early for me to call this one. Kid A is a masterpiece imo. But I've listened to something from IR every friggin day since I downloaded it and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. It is definitely a major record for me, one of those records that defines a whole season and corresponds with important events in my life. So in a sense, for me it's irrelevant which record is better since they both played a similar role.

Kid A is a masterwork, I love it to death. In Rainbows is helping me get through some shit right now, too. It's one of "those albums" for me now. Kid A, as great as it is, hasn't gotten to that level for me yet.

I agree with the sentiment that songs from Kid A sound better when listened to as a whole album and songs from Rainbows are better stand alone songs.

Anthem, not very anthemic enough to warrant such a title.

In Limbo should be back in the game...

namkcuR said:
It's gonna happen Zoots. One day, you'll just be posting something somewhere not really paying attention to your tunes and Reckoner will start playing at random and you'll have that stop-typing-in-mid-sentence 'holy shit what is this playing, it's brilliant' moments. It'll hit you. I don't know when, but it will. You'll see. :wink:

I doubt it. :p

joyfulgirl said:
Oh yeah? Well I'm voting Optimistic to save Anthem. :madspit:

:( Don't help Anthem. It's a rip off of Floyd's Narrow Way II anyway!

:p

LemonMacPhisto said:

Kid A is a masterwork, I love it to death. In Rainbows is helping me get through some shit right now, too. It's one of "those albums" for me now. Kid A, as great as it is, hasn't gotten to that level for me yet.

Kid A is the kind of album you respect greatly. In Rainbows is something you love.

Those who feel differently are immediately suspect, either they're too cool for school or just are devoid of taste.

Bottom line: Kid A=concept, Rainbows=songs.

lazarus said:

Kid A is the kind of album you respect greatly. In Rainbows is something you love.

Those who feel differently are immediately suspect, either they're too cool for school or just are devoid of taste.

Bottom line: Kid A=concept, Rainbows=songs.

Opinions, ever heard of them?

I disagree. I don't know why Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, for example, is any more of a 'song' than How To Disappear Completely or Everything In Its Right Place or or Morning Bell. It may have a warmer atmosphere, but it is no more a verse/chorus/verse song than those I mentioned. Same goes for House Of Cards and 15 Step. I mean, Optimistic and Idioteque both more 'song' than HOC or Apreggi. Optimistic and Idioteque both have clear verse/chorus/verse structures. Why is Arpeggi(just as an example) more of a song than those?

I honestly think the brilliance of Kid A as a whole overshadows the great 'songs' it contains - EIIRP, Optimistic, Idioteque.

I don't think it comes to anything being less of a song than the other. Anything is a song. Crank Dat Soulja Boy is a song, albeit a terrible one.

It's how the song can function out of the context of the album that makes it strong or not. It doesn't make it any more or less of a song than the other, it just can function in the world it creates in 4 minutes, and the greater world created in the 40-45 minute album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom