Radiohead discussion continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Radiohead should perhaps make an album revolving around the social media overload and smart phone overuse that society experiences and has to deal with today. Maybe it would be as ambitious as Ok Computer's commentary about modern day chaos.

But if Yorke continues in the vein of Limbs then I very much doubt anything earth-shattering will happen in the Radiohead camp anymore.

Radiohead should perhaps make an album revolving around the social media overload and smart phone overuse that society experiences and has to deal with today. Maybe it would be as ambitious as Ok Computer's commentary about modern day chaos.

But if Yorke continues in the vein of Limbs then I very much doubt anything earth-shattering will happen in the Radiohead camp anymore.

While I'm prepared to be surprised, I must sort of concur in that one of the things that bugged me about The King of Limbs was just how disconnected from anything in particular it seemed. When U2 lost touch, they went for media-friendly platitudes; Thom Yorke seems to be turning inward.

There's some really gorgeous moments in this song, the end especially, but overall I feel like I've heard it all before. I feel like they just keep exploring the same tricks. The band that once excited me is now boring me. To touch upon what Kieran said, I feel like when U2 "lost touch" we at least got some emotion, with Radiohead I no longer have emotion, it's just soundscape. Which don't get me wrong, sometimes that is needed, but I find myself wanting more, I feel like they're approaching some kind of earthy new age instrumental bullshit phase. Now I know this isn't Radiohead and it's only one track, but overall I'm disappointed with their direction as of late.

The last time I started getting frustrated with Radiohead, In Rainbows followed.

So sure, FUCK YOU RADIOHEAD WHERE'S THE INNOVATION AND CREATIVITY, STOP BEING BORING LIKE U2.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any lack of creativity necessarily, even with the various Thom Yorke side projects, but it all seems much of a muchness after a while.

It would be an oversimplication to say Radiohead were a 'political' band, but their earlier work definitely was bouncing off of the wider culture and social/political landscape. I'd hate to see them just drift into some sort of blank disengagement, which is what troubled me about King of Limbs. Though yes, it did give us the gorgeous 'Give Up The Ghost' so it's not all bad or anything.

A few of you seem to be very confused. The new song is a Thom Yorke solo track that has nothing to do with Radiohead so I'm not sure why people are comparing the two.

I for one love them as much as ever. And if this "earthy new age instrumental bullshit" (what the fuck are you even talking about BVS?) leads to concerts as good as the two that ended their most recent tour then count me the fuck in.

I'm just fucking around. I fully expect the next Radiohead album to be fantastic and don't equate Thom's solo albums with their body of work.

Also this is a horrible idea. I am confident Radiohead can make a very good, engaging album without the random suggestions from an internet forum.

I am kind of at a point where they given me so much, even if they don't make another classic I don't think I'll be *too* disappointed. King of Limbs is far from a classic from it gave us Give Up the Ghost and Separator, two songs I dearly dearly love, so I'm really glad it exists.

And because In Rainbows is an all-timer for me I tempered my expectations from the start re KoL.

Agree. They've given us 4 10/10 albums from 8, and the rest of that output includes Amnesiac, HTTT and KoL and a plethora of fascinating b sides.

I was going to watch an episode an episode of Terriers with my scotch tonight, might put some In Rainbows on instead.

Also this is a horrible idea. I am confident Radiohead can make a very good, engaging album without the random suggestions from an internet forum.

Is this your passive aggressive way of telling me to get the fuck out of this thread? :huh: cos that is how it sounds like.

I just shared an idea that occurred to me. Chill. It's not like Thom Yorke reads this forum or something.

Limbs was mediocre for me overall. But I did enjoy certain songs: Codex, Bloom, Lotus Flower and to a lesser extent, Morning Mr. Magpie, Little By Little and Separator. But it was only 8 songs and it gave off the vibe of.. really Thommy? Is this all you guys are capable of after the wonderful In Rainbows?? /2 cents.

Not at all man. Just seems like a lame idea to me, particularly because from our past discussions I feel like you would want the band to come at it from an angle of 'technology is ruining our lives making us stupid we never look up from our phones', which is a thought that annoys the hell out of me.

Okay maybe I misread your tone. Never mind.

Btw, just to be clear... I never intended to mix Radiohead with Thom solo, if at all that was inferred from my post. I haven't even heard any solo Thom Yorke since The Eraser which I quite enjoyed.

It's going to be funny when The Present Tense is on the next album and everyone hates it as it doesn't sound exactly like that extremely bad full band recording that has been floating around on the internet.

I know Nigel Godrich is practically a member of Radiohead given his constant involvement, but do you think a different producer would be worth a shot for the band? I'm thinking someone like Beck, who the band knows, would be cool. Or is everyone okay with the status quo?

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

Radiohead are that one band - and maybe Godrich's near ubiquitous presence makes me think this - where I can't see what difference it would make if they just produced themselves.

He might be the only artist who frequently makes music I prefer in acoustic form. Things like this, Like Spinning Plates ... he gets so bogged down in the electronics that you don't notice the beautiful song underneath.

Haha me too. I think they might release something at the end of this year.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom