RA D IOHE_AD "IN/RAINBOWS" continuing discussion thread part VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have a CD-R copy of In Rainbows with all 18 songs, and the official retail copy. :drool:

Go Slowly :drool:

LemonMelon said:

Like Jigsaw? Because I don't mind the more acoustic-ish version on IR.

I actually consider Jigsaw an improvement over its liver counter part

but with bangers the took some of its energy out and Jonny's guitar is not turned to 11 :mad:

:wink:

:drool: Bangers And Mash doesn't suck anymore. I like the new tempo. The guitar tone leaves much to be desired, however. :slant:

thetitans2k said:
How is this labeled in torrents? I cant find it

Go to the atease message board, go to the ultimedia section, and a thread for the album will be at the top of the page. There's a torrent link in that thread.

the slow songs are indeed the highlights.

last flowers, go slowly and four minute warning are brilliant.

but wow... bangers and mash is so empty. empty empty empty... that's nigel for you.

bangers and mash NEEDS to be a dirty song. it needs grit and it needs to be ugly. this is just something in between.

but again, that's nigel for you. radiohead neuterer ever since kid a.

that kid a comment might demand further explanation.

while i love kid a, there's no question he made it too quiet. national anthem is a great example.

Well, I like Kid A's production.

I don't believe that Nigel is the only one to blame for the "neutering".

Oh, Go Slowly, although a beautiful song, would be EPIC if only the drums and the piano kicked in with the guitars like on the live version.

:drool: Have I mentioned that In Rainbows is really, really good?

The new songs just make it even better. :hyper:

djerdap said:

I don't believe that Nigel is the only one to blame for the "neutering".

Agreed. With how long they take to make albums, it's not as if the band wouldn't have told him to change the mix if they didn't like/want it that way.

I'm not sure what the deal with over production is (U2, Radiohead, etc). Too much time in the studio? Too much reworking/processing/compression? Over-thinking it? With Radiohead, I think a lot of the issue is just that people have already heard these live, as a live version of a song is in nearly all cases always going to sound more "raw" and "rocking". I'm really glad I hadn't heard any of the new tracks other than the super old completely different version of Reckoner and the orchestra version of Arpeggi. Ends up being a surprise and not ruining what I was expecting them to be (ok, I still am a bit disappointed the old version of Reckoner was completely scrapped, but the new version is nice too).

Wow, this completely brightened my day. Torrenting now.

Down Is the New Up was my favorite new song, can't wait to hear it.

The bonus disk leaked?

Meh, I'll wait until I get my discbox some time in the next couple weeks.

At people are starting to acknowledge Godrich's hand in fucking up some of Radiohead's later work, most notably In Lamebows. I disagree about Kid A though, of course. I think that's the one instance where it works perfectly, but I understand the criticism.

u2popmofo said:

Agreed. With how long they take to make albums, it's not as if the band wouldn't have told him to change the mix if they didn't like/want it that way.

I'm not sure what the deal with over production is (U2, Radiohead, etc). Too much time in the studio? Too much reworking/processing/compression? Over-thinking it? With Radiohead, I think a lot of the issue is just that people have already heard these live, as a live version of a song is in nearly all cases always going to sound more "raw" and "rocking". I'm really glad I hadn't heard any of the new tracks other than the super old completely different version of Reckoner and the orchestra version of Arpeggi. Ends up being a surprise and not ruining what I was expecting them to be (ok, I still am a bit disappointed the old version of Reckoner was completely scrapped, but the new version is nice too).

yeah, u2 has that problem too, i guess. i don't really pay much attention anymore, but now that you say it...

and fair enough about nigel. yes the band are definitely the ones who have the final word on all the cuts...

2+2=5 is another example of a fantastic song being butchered on record. everything is great up until and including the paying attention bit. then... just what the hell is that?

i'm a bit bitter. i shouldn't be, i know. but they're more than fair game after all the praise i've given them over the years, i think it's more than fair to say the "queitness + politness" of so called "aggressive" songs (such as 2+2=5, bangers and mash, optimistic, up on the ladder, idioteque, national anthem, morning bell, pakt like sardines..., man the list is endless) is really disappointing.

these songs are dirty, gross songs that are polished to the gills. while they're still great, it bothers me knowing how much better they could have been if they'd stopped mucking them about in the studio.

and not for the first time, it feels like i'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, as i still love the songs. just not as much as i know i could.

Don't forget the drums in the studio version of There There. Live was so much better.

Zoomerang96 said:
the slow songs are indeed the highlights.

last flowers, go slowly and four minute warning are brilliant.

but wow... bangers and mash is so empty. empty empty empty... that's nigel for you.

bangers and mash NEEDS to be a dirty song. it needs grit and it needs to be ugly. this is just something in between.

Agreed. The rockers had the lifeforce sucked out of them in the studio. And I wasn't one who obsessed over bootlegs and learned all the songs, but I did hear these live and they were way dirtier. Down is the New Up as well. I remember it being a lot more funky and soulful.

The ballads, on the other hand...I like these versions better I think. Or maybe it's harder to deliver a new ballad live--people talk and go get beer.

And still, this is my favorite collection of songs this year after disc 1. :heart:

:cute:

This just in...I'm now suddenly loving Down is the New Up. Kicks in around 3 min.

Anyone want to send me the songs? :sexywink: I probably won't be able to listen to them until after exams are over, but that's life.

e63svdl [at] mun.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom