Post where you live (v. Google Maps)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, since we're posting satellite images now:

mapyc9.jpg

The smilie is where my apartment is.

Yes, I basically live in the apartment complex from Lady in the Water... except that our pool is shaped weirder, the tenants aren't as strange, and we don't have any water nymphs hanging around.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
will someone tell me how to capture the google map image please?

I can't do it the normal way, right click save.. so.... :help:
You have to take a screenshot. Look to the right side of your keyboard (kind of to the right of F12 and Backspace) for a key that says "Print Screen", hit that key while you have the map open, then go to some sort of image editing program MS Paint will work, although a better program would be better if you have one, and paste the image into it (click Edit > Paste at the top of the screen, or hit Ctrl + V on your keyboard), it will paste an image of your entire screen at the time you took the screenshot. Use a rectangular selection tool to click and drag and select just the map, then crop the image to just that, and save it as a jpeg.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

I can't get Google maps to load. I don't have an editing tool anyway, so it's not like it would work anyway.

I live in Seattle. Good enough. :wink:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

You have to take a screenshot. Look to the right side of your keyboard (kind of to the right of F12 and Backspace) for a key that says "Print Screen", hit that key while you have the map open, then go to some sort of image editing program MS Paint will work, although a better program would be better if you have one, and paste the image into it (click Edit > Paste at the top of the screen, or hit Ctrl + V on your keyboard), it will paste an image of your entire screen at the time you took the screenshot. Use a rectangular selection tool to click and drag and select just the map, then crop the image to just that, and save it as a jpeg.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Ummm, ok. Well, the above map is the first time I've ever tried this, so pardon all the white bits above and below. I'm not sure where I went wrong. :reject:

zonelistener said:

A developer who enjoys horse racing, eh?

Meadowlands! :lol:

See that building in the top right? That's part of a mall.

The biggest horse racing track east of Ontario (Sackville Downs) used to be there until it was replaced by said mall ("Downsview Mall") in the 1970s.

That's why my neighbourhood has horse racing street names.

zonelistener said:

obviously you have never driven in Southern California. :sexywink:

It is -9 degrees here, snowing hard, and feels like -18 with the wind chill. And it's not going to be any warmer than -5 all week.

I'd take a few traffic jams in trade for the weather.

cinnaminson said:

all your houses look eerily similar:eyebrow: I'd probably end up going into the wrong house if I wasn't concentrating

Cookie cutter homes. Luckily the front of our houses look very very different.

Calvin N. Hobbes said:

Hey.. how long is your commute to work on average? I'm guessing 1hr 45mins to 2 hrs? I know it jams up pretty good between the 57 n 605 on the 60.

Lately, because of the time change and rain, it's been taking three hours to get home. Good times!!

I avoid the 60 because it's terrible and instead take combinations of the 91, 57, 405 and 605 to and from work. If things are really bad, I may take a few surface streets as well. At least I'm getting to know the lay of the land in Fullerton, Anaheim, Garden Grove and Long Beach quite well. I actually think I've figured out how to get from my house to work without taking freeways but won't attempt it (that would probably take four hours and I'd no doubt get stuck behind a train, a broken signal, road construction, etc.).

But Dave, yes, the weather generally makes living here worth all the other headaches.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
LA looks like hell, from an aerial perspective, to be honest :lol:

I remember flying into LA one time from Phoenix and as soon as you get past the desert all you see is subdivisions. For like an hour. It was honestly disgusting. Awful transit system, awful traffic, and the smog was appalling.

I'm intolerant of commuting, though, so I've always paid a premium to live very close to school/work rather than waste my time driving around. I figure my time is worth something.

Calvin N. Hobbes said:

Hey.. how long is your commute to work on average? I'm guessing 1hr 45mins to 2 hrs? I know it jams up pretty good between the 57 n 605 on the 60.

That's one hellish drive! :hug:

Back
Top Bottom