Post All Oscar Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't even think it was what he said as much as it was the manner in which he said it. At the oscars. With a million people watching. It was not the time nor the lace to impart his political beliefs. He can leave that for home, for the after party, or for his next documentary. The Oscars are about honouring films, not about attempting to enforce one's political beliefs onto others.

diamond said:
i think if more women were like Cathrine Zeta Jones having that class and lovng their husbands, there would b a lot less angry men in the world:)

yeah...women are the root of all evil aren't they :|

me====>
throwup.gif
<===== eminem

I think Michael Moore has stones the size of some of the egos in that room......I respect what he said......U2 turned in a jawdropping performance, incredible......they were robbed.....probably as a result of the GONY backlash that resulted from the Weinstein's overly aggressive campaigning........I mean when you can say that you brought Martin Scorcese to tears, that's something to brag about......Pianist and GONY were both better movies than Chicago......Steve Martin was hysterical, one of the funniest men alive......and that's it I'm off

I find Adrien Brody attractive. He's kind of quirky-looking, but there's just something about him. And his speech was very moving.

I really, really, really want to see The Pianist, but even if it does get played in the little burg where I live I won't pay money to see it. I refuse to put a single dime in the pocket of Roman Polanski. He may be a great director, but he's a loathsome human being. I'll wait until it comes out on cable and I can see if for free.

:| I think I might have to boycott the oscars from now on. :sigh: Although I like "Lose Yourself" I can't believe U2 lost.

I have a lot opinions on other stuff i saw on the oscars tonight, but I am too tired. I will say that .... nah, nevermind. :crack: There was just a lot of tacky shit going on tonight.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

too bad you can't speak your mind anymore. :| :uhoh: *runs out of thread before all pro-war and republican's lynch me* lol.

yeah too bad, i know...

fortauntly i don't get attacked for saying "bush is a fucking idiot" at home....my family agrees with me...

i won't turn this into an FYM thread. i'll leave that for someone who actually posts there...

Ok, I don't want to read the whole thread. I'm happy Adrien Brody won, because he was excellent in the Pianist. I believe the Hours ought to have won best film, but Nicole fully deserved her best actress award. And just in case you were wondering, U2 were robbed. No other word.

hmm that is possibly the worst set of Oscar results ever. Goes to show just how little they know about what is going on in film

I wont be watching the highlights this year

Alright, obviously everyone is pissed off, but in all honesty I think the Academy got a few things right tonight. Best film and director were both bullshit though. :wink:

Eminem's is a good quality, life affirming song (one of few he's done like that), and there's no question it captured more public attention than any of the others purely as a piece of pop music. Hands that Built America is a lovely little number, but if HMTMKMKM or In The Name Of The Father didn't win Oscars, then Hands certainly didn't deserve it.

As for Michael Moore, why are people disappointed/annoyed? That is the way the guy has ALWAYS operated, and, love him or hate him, you can't fault his consistency or the genuineness of his convictions. He will never win points for subtlety, and I really doubt he knows any other way than in your face.

I do feel sorry for Martin Scorsese, but I think this year proves that he has been shut out of the Academy's inner sanctum, like the outsider he always says he is.

Yes some awards were deserved, but they were pretty much exclusively minor ones. You could've bet your house on Chicago winning, the Academy have just shown how predictable and biased they are towards this sort of film

A handful of good calls though:
Spirited Away for best Animated Feature - admittedly I havent seen it yet but from what I've heard its an excellent film

Michael Moore/Bowling for Columbine - best docu

Talk to Her for Best Original Screenplay

Anything TTT won, though it deserved much more

I'm also pleased to see the Pianist win a handful of awards, I havent seen it yet either but it won despite a vicious media smear campaign

Disappointed Hero didnt win best Foreign film, and there were some notable exclusions from that category, including the excellent City of God. Havent seen the other nominees admittedly

I cant stand Eminem so its not likely I can be happy with best song

Adrien Brody is hot, but he went on way too long. And actors who think they're too important to get cut off at the 45 seconds annoy the hell out of me. :mad: Like, get off the stage already. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad Nicole & Catherine won. I think Nicole's speech was much more genuine, unlike the sobfests by Halle and Gweneth and *ugh* Julia in years past. She showed some class, wheras the others just made fools of themselves.

I'm really disgusted by the Eminem and Roman Polanski wins. When the academy chooses to award a known gay/women/etc. basher and a child molester, that's when I have to take a step back. :down:

But, U2 rocked and yay Nicole and Catherine (and Adrien, even though he talked too long he's still hot :combust:, oh yeah, so is Daniel Day-Lewis :sexywink:)

So Bono didn't outstay his welcome at the Grammys last year then? :sexywink:

Also, I think all this anti-Polanski thing is getting out of hand. He's a child-molester, but he made an excellent film. And if I recall he's actually been forgiven by the woman already. Perhaps he ought not have won it, but just because he's not "good" as a person doesn't mean his art is not good. There was a discussion on this at B&C already so I don't really want to press further about it. Judge the art, not the artist.

P.S. I liked the Pianist a lot, but it could get really meandering at times.

Well, now, today Im a bit irrate.....Ive lost patience with having spent f*king washing my car yesterday to discover that today, its not as clean as it should be! And then, knowing AGAIN that the Oscars would be on live at like 1am to like..5am our time, I thought, 'Right, I must record it'....but PAH! - for 3rd time, I end up watching it live, awake and ready to rock-n-roll, and only had like 2 hours sleep, so right now I am waiting to just..........babumph at any time! bloomin Oscars! :mad: anyhow, saw like u all did, how toned down it was at the beginning - the arrivals.........

And saw just how many actresses wore black dresses to tone way down..(might I add though, Cameron Diaz was absolutely gorgeous!!!!![/i] - I wanna know how her make-up was done!)

Lets see, I kept trying to sleep, but through curiosity on the winners and how much it was toned down, I couldnt. And then Breaking News kept coming in on the other two channels on the War, so I kept flicking. I kept wondering about those poor soldiers being interrogated, and the missing ones.

The 3 highlights to me were U2's performance/ that 'Frida' song performance (WOW! I was absolutely blown away by those two singers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :up:..)/ and Queen Latifah and Catherine performing from Chicago (WOW, Catherine has such a powerful, amazing voice in my opinion!).

The 3 lowlights.......the f*king mic rudely being pulled down thru some pple still speaking/the f*king orchestra rudely (well felt like f*king rudely to me! :mad:..) interrupting to hurry pple's speeches up (UNDERSTANDABLE! - BUT STILL F*KING RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - Id f*king clash the mofo F*ker with the clangin Symbols on the f*king head for f*k sake, if Id been there! AND I woulda lay on the ground to finish speaking into the mic! :evil: Fricking clashy wallopy trombone voice drowners!/and third.........uhm..........perhaps really I wish Renee won an Oscar WITH Nicole........:)

Now Im very very pleased Nic won......very delighted for her, she deserved it!

And that guy who won male Actor...I actually thought Daniel would get it too........but while some might say his speech at the end was again involving......I think his should have been the only one mentioning it......too many before that threw there 'one-quick-moment' in........and everyone there and all those who were watching knew that was happening, so my guess is they toned down and wanted Oscars over and done with - damn quickly! That one by Michael Moore - controversial, but yes, to me he quickly spoke his mind and he is obv. anti-war, like all the thousands of protestors out there, and prob many would speak the line he spoke - unfort it was bad timing for him where he was and when.................

As for Eminem winning, yes, a bit shocking but in the end I applauded, never saw 8 Mile but Marshall got so much praise for it.....the song must mean something. I did too think U2 had it......but just because they didnt get it, doesnt mean they didnt win according to us lot here at Interland, right? and to be honest, like someone else here said.........I think personally, but not cruelly, I would have dreaded a bit what Bono mighta said, and if he would have 'rambled' on a bit, past the loud orchestra - heck, he mighta pulled out a megaphone to finish! :D

j/k folks.

good night.........bit lacking of glitz as we know why.and a shame because it was a 75th..............but they toned it down well, maybe they should keep it that way from here on in..

:D

Oh, and Im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pleased please PLEASED that Chicago won some Oscars including Best Picture..I loved that film and Renne and Catherine really shone in it!

and Richard Gere too!

:kiss:

:wave: everyone

Last edited:
diamond said:
i think if more women were like Cathrine Zeta Jones having that class and lovng their husbands, there would b a lot less angry men in the world:)

Why do you feel the need to make these statements? Do you really believe that women are the reason for men's temperaments and wrong-doings in this world? Yes, men ALWAYS are right, genteel, loyal and perfect aren't they? They never commit wrong on their own doing - it's always in reaction to some bad woman, isn't it?

What about the men in society who don't love their women like they should or respect them? Believe me, the breakdown of my parents' marriage had NOTHING to do with my mother's inability to have the utmost class and loyalty to my father.

I've had patience so far. But I'm sorry, this is the LAST STRAW for me here for statements of this kind.

:down: For this.

diamond said:

after reading this statement from you, diamond, i think your thread in zoo confessions was just a waste of time and space.
this makes me angry.

Well said HelloAngel.

diamond you know you have been warned about making comments like these in the past. You should know better.

And I think that statement is especially ridiculous because of who its coming from. :rolleyes:

yertle-the-turtle said:

Also, I think all this anti-Polanski thing is getting out of hand. He's a child-molester, but he made an excellent film. And if I recall he's actually been forgiven by the woman already. Perhaps he ought not have won it, but just because he's not "good" as a person doesn't mean his art is not good. There was a discussion on this at B&C already so I don't really want to press further about it. Judge the art, not the artist.

P.S. I liked the Pianist a lot, but it could get really meandering at times.

I agree totally, the smear campaign against Polanski was frankly shameful. The nominees should be judged on their work alone, not on any personal issues.

I'm so sick of all the hype surrounding Chicago, there were 4 much better films nominated for the Best Picture award. But Chicago is an obvious, easy and uncontroversial choice, showing the Academy are as predictable as ever, and displaying their biases against certain types of films.

Likewise there were better nominees for Supporting Actress, I'm not quite sure how bad singing from a frankly mediocre actress is enough to win the award

Though as I have said there were some surprising and pleasing winners in some of the other categories

Catherine has an amazing voice and so does Queen Latifah. Their performance last night was a treat to see. I love broadway and musicals and really need to take sometime to go see Chicago at the movie theatre. I am just sad I missed the production when it was in town.
Anyway, Catherine looked like a happy, proud glowing mother to be. Her and Michael?s happiness is due to mutual respect and sincere love for one another. I have serious doubts that their love is based on Catherine being a subservient wife. :down:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Anyway, Catherine looked like a happy, proud glowing mother to be. Her and Michael?s happiness is due to mutual respect and sincere love for one another. I have serious doubts that their love is based on Catherine being a subservient wife. :down:

:up: well said Iris.

Yes, Catherine is such a good little wifey :rolleyes:

How can you tell anyway if Michael is angry? He has Joan Riversed his face so much that it always has the same expression.

:D

if anything Im really really happy for the couple!

They love each other and respect each other, I dont know why pple fuss!

Im very happy for them, and hope Catherine gives birth to a healthy baby!

Oh and how cool was it to see father and son on stage together!!!!

:happy:

Back
Top Bottom