Pink Floyd: Better Than U2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2005, 01:33 PM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 04:07 AM

Old 02-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Pink Floyd = favorite band I can't see live anymore

U2 = favorite band that I can still see live

My two favorite bands. Period.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:45 PM   #48
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy McCombe
Until U2 come up with a piece of music that I can say is better than 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond', possibly the greatest song ever written, I will not change my mind...
Amen! And the live version, from P-U-L-S-E tour, is the best song ever recorded by anyone!!

That intro is amazing!

Pink Floyd rocks!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #49
The Fly

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Pink Floyd is the only band that can hold a candle to U2. U2's better, though.

God > U2 > Everything else.
Sorry, but only Led Zeppelin can hold a candle to U2. Floyd was a very good band, no doubt. Nevertheless, in terms of their overall influence on rock, no one comes even lose to Led Zep.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

And I gotta say...much as I love Frampton...I love what Gilmour does with a Talk Box...
Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:07 PM
we're still talking about this?

i have a funny feeling that a lot of people who say they like pink floyd only do so because it's cool. they have an awful lot of songs that if they were created by just about anyone else, would be considered to be outright rubbish.

i still love them though, and i'm sure a lot of you do too. it's just that when i see shitheads in the mall wear "dark side of the moon" tshirts that something goes off in my head that says "these kids don't have a clue who pink floyd even were".
Old 02-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Yeah, you may have a point Zoomerang96.

I personally don't care for the Beatles, *well mostly their earlier catalog* if I never heard another Beatles song, I'd be okay with that, and that just makes some people go insane. There's a lot of bands I like way more than the Beatles, U2 is one, the Clash is another, and woo, you'd think I said 2+2=5.

I know a few Pink Floyd songs here and there, but I couldn't tell you what album they came from.

U2, I'll wear my U2 t-shirt, because I know who they are, even if their Boy album is older than me.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:01 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

i have a funny feeling that a lot of people who say they like pink floyd only do so because it's cool. t

Zoomerang...you better not be talking about me in this equation here.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:40 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Pink Floyd = favorite band I can't see live anymore

U2 = favorite band that I can still see live

My two favorite bands. Period.
Excellent post.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:42 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
we're still talking about this?

i have a funny feeling that a lot of people who say they like pink floyd only do so because it's cool. they have an awful lot of songs that if they were created by just about anyone else, would be considered to be outright rubbish.

i still love them though, and i'm sure a lot of you do too. it's just that when i see shitheads in the mall wear "dark side of the moon" tshirts that something goes off in my head that says "these kids don't have a clue who pink floyd even were".
Understand what u mean Zoomerang...although, the only Floyd song I could truly cast as being rubbish, would be 'Several species.....' you know the rest. Total nonsense, which ruins what is otherwise, a very good, experimental disc on Ummagumma.
(tho the live disc is much better imo!)
Old 02-02-2005, 05:32 AM   #56
Refugee

several species was good , although it was not really a song ,

however , rick wright and gilmour songs on ummagumma were much worse , and i didn't know that nick mason can play flute ( that was his wife )

if you like PF , try Foxtrot or Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis ,
Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #57
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Are you people insane? You both thought "Several Species of Animals Gathered In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of...With A Pict" or whatever the fuck was rubbish, Winnie thinks "Sysyphus" and "The Narrow Way" are worse, yet NEITHER OF YOU HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE 10+ MINUTE DRUM SOLO?!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Are you people insane? You both thought "Several Species of Animals Gathered In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of...With A Pict" or whatever the fuck was rubbish, Winnie thinks "Sysyphus" and "The Narrow Way" are worse, yet NEITHER OF YOU HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE 10+ MINUTE DRUM SOLO?!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy McCombe
...and personally believe that U2 will never come close to them at any point in their career as I personally feel they will never have the ability (and have never had) the ability to write albums that one can put against 'Dark Side of the Moon' 'Wish you were Here' and 'Animals', three of the greatest records ever commited to vinyl! Until U2 come up with a piece of music that I can say is better than 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond', possibly the greatest song ever written, I will not change my mind...
U2 surpassed PF's career the day they released The Joshua Tree. And "Where the Streets Have No Name" is better than "Shine On..."

Anyway, I think that it's a bit resumptuous to automatically call The Beatles the "Best Band Ever". I certianly agree 100% that they are the most important band in history, and probably the more imfluencial band ever, but they by no means were the best. when I consider what the "best" band is, I feel they it all has to do with the feeling they evoke from the audience. Since the Romantic Period, music has been written for the purpose of promoting nationalism, imagery, the beauty of nature, etc...all emotions that the artist wants the listener to experience. This held true with the advent of the Blues, the grandpappy of all rock/pop/any non-art or folk music that exists today. So, I strongly believe that the best bands/artists in the world are the ones that are able to evoke any emotion they want from the audience, and do it with true passion. This is why U2 is the best band. No one has ever come close to being as passionate or inspiring or powerful as U2 is with their music, and especially not Pink Floyd. A lot of you are going to try to factor technical skill into this equation, but that's not really what being a band is about. It's all about the feeling you can create with the music.

Lance.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Saucerful of Secrets - Live at Pompeii
(Part D - Celestial Voices)

Gilmour's best vocal performence of all time imo.