Pink Floyd: Better Than U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Floyd had that magic period , 1967-1983 , all in all = best s"&*t done by a rock'n'roll band , however the stuff done after , bitter divorce between Mr Gilmour and Mr waTERs , brrrrrr....

I love Pink Floyd. When describing Pink Floyd the term that comes to mind is avant gard. I do not think U2 is avant gard I think they are more provacative, complex rock and roll. Personally, I love U2 more, but it is just a matter of taste.

discothequeLP said:
U2 is my favorite band of all, and will always be.

But Pink Floyd is better. Their albums are works of art. No other albums can compare to The Wall, Wish You Were Here, and Dark Side of the Moon. Hell, Pink Floyd even made Dark Side of the Moon a soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz!

I've seen this before, but...

Pink Floyd > (insert deity here)

Early Pink Floyd is great, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is kickass clangy psychedelia but their '70s stuff and on is too bloated and pedestrian, not to mention that they took themselves far too seriously.

brettig said:
Rock will always win out over prog. Pink Floyd had its moments but much of it is self-important rubbish. There's plenty of skill sure, but very little joy or life affirming fun to it.

Perfect example is the Final Cut - Roger we can tell you're a fine musician but enough sour grapes about the war already...

Agreed...prog is horrible and totally un rockand roll..give me inpspiration and energy over guitar skill and tortuous song structures any day!

joyfulgirl said:
Thank you, brettig. I've always felt Pink Floyd lacked passion and soul.

It's just how I feel.

I work with a huge Pink Floyd fan, and just this past week, I spent a couple of days listening to their stuff non-stop and it just didn't move me. I didn't feel it really relevant to me today and while some songs are utterly brilliant, I would not say they are "better" than U2, nor that they are the best there ever was.

I enjoy their stuff, but I have to be in the right mood.

On a side note, I havent been in the right mood for quite a while. (with the exception of being addicted to 'Wish You Were Here' earlier this year)

Regardless, they were certainly a very talented band who made some important music. :up:

Last edited:
The other night, my friends and I were driving home from Columbus, an hour drive. My friend puts on dark side of the moon. We were all partying with friends at OSU, so it was late and I was worn out. It was also raining.

Given these circumstances, imagine trying to keep awake during all this while listening to Dark Side of the Moon. That album just made me want to fall asleep at the wheel (see Simpsons episode where homer falls asleep at the wheel and dreams that he is driving a big bed.) As soon as my friends passed out/fell asleep, I put on Achtung Baby. That got me back up and got me home.

I dunno, 10 minutes of organized noises doesn't compare to a song like "One" or "Until the end of the world."

I have to say that I grew up with pink Floyd in grade school. I was never a huge fan but I do love their music. They came out at a very different time in the world. I have never considered their music very spiritual unless I was high off my ass. U2 have always been a band that I enjoy listening to completely sober. The last concert i saw was Elevation in Arizonia and it was my first time stoned at a U2 concert and my last. I pray that I get tickets some how. I want to take in every second of this tour coming up.

pink floyd was great from drugs, U2 is great from there heart

There both great bands- but U2 takes it all the way

I have every Pink Floyd album, I have every U2 album, I have every Radiohead album, this discussion is pointless, they all suck compared to the Beatles.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
I have every Pink Floyd album, I have every U2 album, I have every Radiohead album, this discussion is pointless, they all suck compared to the Beatles.

Don't do it, lol theres bound to be a Led Zep maniac round here somewhere aswell:wink: Pink Floyd are great granted I only have the Wall and Dark Side of The Moon but I prefer The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby as albums, yes as Albums, full cohesive works of Art infact right now it probably works like this I PREFER U2'S GREAT WORK TO THE FLOYD'S BUT SGT PEPPER@S LONELY HEARTS CLUB OWNS ALL, lol jk

How did this thread pass me by!!?

Oh well..U2 are my faves, Pink Floyd rank very closely behind tho. Without including Dark Side, Animals, Final Cut and Division Bell would be my top 3 of theirs.

For gods sake! Sort out your differences and get on the road 1 last time!! :wink:

Last edited:
28U2_vs_Pink_Floyd.jpg

Originally posted by
Until U2 come up with a piece of music that I can say is better than 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond', possibly the greatest song ever written, I will not change my mind...

Amen! And the live version, from P-U-L-S-E tour, is the best song ever recorded by anyone!!

That intro is amazing!

Pink Floyd rocks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Axver said:
Pink Floyd is the only band that can hold a candle to U2. U2's better, though.

God > U2 > Everything else.

Sorry, but only Led Zeppelin can hold a candle to U2. Floyd was a very good band, no doubt. Nevertheless, in terms of their overall influence on rock, no one comes even lose to Led Zep.

Cheers

we're still talking about this?

i have a funny feeling that a lot of people who say they like pink floyd only do so because it's cool. they have an awful lot of songs that if they were created by just about anyone else, would be considered to be outright rubbish.

i still love them though, and i'm sure a lot of you do too. it's just that when i see shitheads in the mall wear "dark side of the moon" tshirts that something goes off in my head that says "these kids don't have a clue who pink floyd even were".

Yeah, you may have a point Zoomerang96.

I personally don't care for the Beatles, *well mostly their earlier catalog* if I never heard another Beatles song, I'd be okay with that, and that just makes some people go insane. There's a lot of bands I like way more than the Beatles, U2 is one, the Clash is another, and woo, you'd think I said 2+2=5.

I know a few Pink Floyd songs here and there, but I couldn't tell you what album they came from.

U2, I'll wear my U2 t-shirt, because I know who they are, even if their Boy album is older than me.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
we're still talking about this?

i have a funny feeling that a lot of people who say they like pink floyd only do so because it's cool. they have an awful lot of songs that if they were created by just about anyone else, would be considered to be outright rubbish.

i still love them though, and i'm sure a lot of you do too. it's just that when i see shitheads in the mall wear "dark side of the moon" tshirts that something goes off in my head that says "these kids don't have a clue who pink floyd even were".

Understand what u mean Zoomerang...although, the only Floyd song I could truly cast as being rubbish, would be 'Several species.....' you know the rest. Total nonsense, which ruins what is otherwise, a very good, experimental disc on Ummagumma.
(tho the live disc is much better imo!)

several species was good , although it was not really a song ,
:wink:
however , rick wright and gilmour songs on ummagumma were much worse , and i didn't know that nick mason can play flute ( that was his wife )

if you like PF , try Foxtrot or Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis ,

Are you people insane? You both thought "Several Species of Animals Gathered In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of...With A Pict" or whatever the fuck was rubbish, Winnie thinks "Sysyphus" and "The Narrow Way" are worse, yet NEITHER OF YOU HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE 10+ MINUTE DRUM SOLO?!

typhoon said:
Are you people insane? You both thought "Several Species of Animals Gathered In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of...With A Pict" or whatever the fuck was rubbish, Winnie thinks "Sysyphus" and "The Narrow Way" are worse, yet NEITHER OF YOU HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE 10+ MINUTE DRUM SOLO?!

:wink:

Originally posted by
...and personally believe that U2 will never come close to them at any point in their career as I personally feel they will never have the ability (and have never had) the ability to write albums that one can put against 'Dark Side of the Moon' 'Wish you were Here' and 'Animals', three of the greatest records ever commited to vinyl! Until U2 come up with a piece of music that I can say is better than 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond', possibly the greatest song ever written, I will not change my mind...

U2 surpassed PF's career the day they released The Joshua Tree. And "Where the Streets Have No Name" is better than "Shine On..."

Anyway, I think that it's a bit resumptuous to automatically call The Beatles the "Best Band Ever". I certianly agree 100% that they are the most important band in history, and probably the more imfluencial band ever, but they by no means were the best. when I consider what the "best" band is, I feel they it all has to do with the feeling they evoke from the audience. Since the Romantic Period, music has been written for the purpose of promoting nationalism, imagery, the beauty of nature, etc...all emotions that the artist wants the listener to experience. This held true with the advent of the Blues, the grandpappy of all rock/pop/any non-art or folk music that exists today. So, I strongly believe that the best bands/artists in the world are the ones that are able to evoke any emotion they want from the audience, and do it with true passion. This is why U2 is the best band. No one has ever come close to being as passionate or inspiring or powerful as U2 is with their music, and especially not Pink Floyd. A lot of you are going to try to factor technical skill into this equation, but that's not really what being a band is about. It's all about the feeling you can create with the music.

Lance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom