Peter Gabriel, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah ok thanks. I need to give my Us tape another.. listen. :hmm: I was gonna say spin but you can't exactly spin a cassette! :wink:

I just recently got into his solo catalogue and enjoy it a hell of a lot more than any of his work with Genesis.

His work on the soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ is absolutely stunning.

His work on the soundtrack for The Last Temptation of Christ is absolutely stunning.

Yeah it is. Peter Gabriel is amazing at creating sonic landscapes.

Zootlesque, I'd recommend checking out Peter Gabriel Plays Live, a 2-CD set from the early 80s. I like the live versions of a lot of those songs over the studio versions -- the band brings a lot to the live performances.

I would never have guessed that YOU *pointsatav* liked Secret World :wink:

Cool, you recognized it!

Put me on a desert island with Peter Gabriel's catalog and the catalog of his Real World world music label, and I'll be a happy guy.

Oh, and Big Blue Ball -- I've heard it once or twice now and it's more of the same great sonic landscapes, with a lot of other world music voices involved. And that new song he wrote for Wall-E is pretty nice, too.

Well that was certainly...interesting.

Stand out track was Altus Silva. I've never heard anything by Joseph Arthur before...I need moooooooore.

Big Blue Ball was also a nice track itself

So... I listened to So yesterday. You know how sometimes you put on an album by an artist you've never really listened to and realise you've heard a song of theirs like a million times before? That's me and Sledgehammer, :)

I must say that overall I like the slower, moody pieces much more than the uptempo ones. Can anyone make album recommendations with more of the former?

Us is very mellow, with only a few uptempo songs.

Actually, you can kind of say that for all of his albums. They tend to be slower pieces except for one or two songs.

My personal favorites, besides So, are the third self-titled album (Melt) and Us.

Peter Gabriel is a passionate and COMpassionate singer/songwriter. His brand of popular music has always been thoughtful, and thought-provoking. He is the English equivalent to Bono.

My respect for him has even increased further in recent years when I read that he refused to take part in Live 8, an event for Africa that denied artists FROM Africa on it's stage. In reaction, Gabriel staged his own version with predominately African artists.

My two favorite solo works of his are 'Melt' and 'Security.' My favorite Genesis stuff of his are 'Selling England by the Pound', 'Live', and 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.' I feel that Genesis have sucked badly since he left.
:drool:

I own it all now studio wise (1,2,3,4, So, Us, Up) But I still haven't listened to 3 and 4 all the way through :reject:

Of course! I cannot get enough of "In Your Eyes," "Shock the Monkey," "Big Time," and "I've Got the Touch!" :cute:

Back
Top Bottom