Pearl Jam Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone have any thoughts on the remasters that came out today? I'm curious as to how they sound.

I haven't even listened to them yet. I'm scared that I may have deleted the originals for no reason and that the remasters are amplified to kingdom come, clipping away at my ears. :down:

Maybe not, but it certainly was a mistake to get rid of my old copy of Ten from my digital library. And an even bigger mistake to replace some Rolling Stones albums (Sticky Fingers/Some Girls/Tattoo You, etc.) with some hideous remasters. Next time, I'll pay attention to reviews or give them a listen first.

Pitchfork Review Of The 3 CD Set

Without listening to it yet, I know the Vs. remaster has to be terrible. The album is at a much lower volume than the rest of their catalog, so it's surely been amplified, just as they did with selections of it on their Greatest Hits release in order to make the volume consistent across the compilation. Everything sounded overbearing and watery, especially Daughter and Elderly Woman's acoustic guitars.

We should be getting No Code & Yield this fall, possibly even Binaural. The latter, though, probably shouldn't be touched with much since part of its charm is the way it was recorded.

Riot Act could used a bit of remixing just to make it less bland. The most recent two albums sound exactly like what the band wanted, a hard/proto-rock record devoid of any tunefulness and a dreary, sleep-inducing new wave release, respectively.

Although I'm surprised to say that I found like three sentences in that Pitchfork review that I agree with (Glorified G is a ridiculous song for PJ standards), it is a typical example of a biased reviewer missing the point so badly.

GAHHH.. missed the presale this morning.. damn u work..

:mad:

went in a hour into the presale and there was nothing left for tower theater/philly.. I have one more shot tomorrow in gen sale.. hope I get something.. :pray:

Hmm.. I had a livenation link for the presale thru Glen Hansard/Swell Season. Maybe that was my problem.. grr.

nevermind.. i see for the philly show the ticket site is Live Nation and not ticketmaster not that it makes a difference.. they are both shit..

Well, I was right about the remasters....they're both amplified to hell, sounding very compressed and inducing headaches. Bonus tracks are nice though.

You're judging this off of mp3 format?

Yes, high quality MP3s though. Ones that sound far louder than they should be, in both my headphones and on my stereo. And I had the old ones on my iPod and listened to them just last week. There's a clearly noticeable difference. I can tell that they've done a good job separating the individual elements of sound (drums, vocals, etc.), but then they've ruined it by turning up the volume so loud that it all gets drowned out.

I'm hardly an audiophile, I just can't stand listening to songs that sound like somebody is screaming at you. Ever wonder why "Livin La Vida Loca" gave you a headache or why How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb sounded worse and worse with each listen? They're boosted so loud that they're not only an irritant but also missing actual data from the musical track.

I will say that "Indifference" sounds quite good in particular. I noticed a lot of things I hadn't paid much attention to when listening to it for the past 15-plus years, probably because there isn't a lot of guitar in it to bury everything.

But when you hear the acoustic guitars of "Daughter" sounding like they've been processed through pro-tools, you'll want to cry.

Back
Top Bottom