Pago Pago, American Samoa Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charlotte and I made poutine for dinner last night. It was respectable. On an unrelated culinary note, her mother has found this Swiss cookbook ... I think it's going to keep us busy and our tastebuds very, very happy.

I already loved 1984, you know that, but it was even better than I remembered. Not sure which is my favourite out of 1984 and Animal Farm now. Only just getting onto Solzhenistyn now; I'm reading One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich. Don't quite have space in my camera bag for The Gulag Archipelago!

(Love that I've been carrying my camera with me every day since Tuesday and haven't taken a single photo. :huh: )

Is there roesti in there?? :drool:

Has there been a lack of photogenic locations visited? You must both be pretty busy between work/uni/research.

Is there roesti in there?? :drool:

Has there been a lack of photogenic locations visited? You must both be pretty busy between work/uni/research.

There is indeed a rösti recipe!

Yeah, we haven't exactly headed anywhere out of the ordinary. Not to mention the fact this city is frustratingly low on rail transport. (The busway to the North Shore is laughably inept urban planning, yet it looks good compared to the paltry attempts at public transport elsewhere in the city.)

I've found some interesting stuff (to me) in the city library though!

I'm supposed to be looking at new phones... I don't want a touch phone, and I'm wary of these tiny QWERTY keyboards, but there doesn't seem to be anything else!

*luddite*

I'm supposed to be looking at new phones... I don't want a touch phone, and I'm wary of these tiny QWERTY keyboards, but there doesn't seem to be anything else!

*luddite*

Goddamn. I'm intending to grab a new phone while I'm over here ... the exchange rate at the moment makes most things in New Zealand a bargain for me. For example, $50? No, I think you mean $40 in my bank account's language!

There is indeed a rösti recipe!

Yeah, we haven't exactly headed anywhere out of the ordinary. Not to mention the fact this city is frustratingly low on rail transport. (The busway to the North Shore is laughably inept urban planning, yet it looks good compared to the paltry attempts at public transport elsewhere in the city.)

I've found some interesting stuff (to me) in the city library though!

Sweeet. :drool:

Excellent... does this mean I'll get some proofreading soon? :wink:

I should head out soon... got some fush to check on.

Goddamn. I'm intending to grab a new phone while I'm over here ... the exchange rate at the moment makes most things in New Zealand a bargain for me. For example, $50? No, I think you mean $40 in my bank account's language!

Wow... Ax goes shopping!!

There are a couple of phones in this catalogue that still have normal buttons, but they're in the minority. My housemates have been selling the 3 network to me... I can't figure out what Optus's deals mean exactly, which isn't doing them any favours.

Sweeet. :drool:

Excellent... does this mean I'll get some proofreading soon? :wink:

I should head out soon... got some fush to check on.

I have indeed been doing some writing! I've some good material on opposition to the 1852 Constitution Act that I'm working with at the moment.

Oh yes, I was going to ask if you'd seen how the fushies are doing! Hopefully they're quite well.

Wow... Ax goes shopping!!

There are a couple of phones in this catalogue that still have normal buttons, but they're in the minority. My housemates have been selling the 3 network to me... I can't figure out what Optus's deals mean exactly, which isn't doing them any favours.

Well, whether we get around to it or not is another matter entirely ...! So far our shopping has extended little beyond food and wine. We have a very interesting shiraz-cabernet-tempranillo, if anybody cares. I had some of it with lunch earlier. Lunch being bacon and brie sandwiches. Much to our surprise, the wine matched the food splendidly, though the food may have given us heart attacks.

I'm just going to stick to Vodafone, I think. I'll get a SIM card for New Zealand to augment my Aussie one, so that I don't have to pay international fees while I'm here over the next couple of months.

I have indeed been doing some writing! I've some good material on opposition to the 1852 Constitution Act that I'm working with at the moment.

Oh yes, I was going to ask if you'd seen how the fushies are doing! Hopefully they're quite well.

Cool beans. :)

I'll let you know soon! I'd better head off, if I'm going to do that and take a peek at a 3 store as well.

Also, remind me to not read Willie's diary again. I'm happier not knowning. :mad: :scream:

Toodles! :wave:

Well, whether we get around to it or not is another matter entirely ...! So far our shopping has extended little beyond food and wine. We have a very interesting shiraz-cabernet-tempranillo, if anybody cares. I had some of it with lunch earlier. Lunch being bacon and brie sandwiches. Much to our surprise, the wine matched the food splendidly, though the food may have given us heart attacks.

I'm just going to stick to Vodafone, I think. I'll get a SIM card for New Zealand to augment my Aussie one, so that I don't have to pay international fees while I'm here over the next couple of months.

I have this awful feeling that you're going to end up with scurvy or something. *L* Glad you found a wine to go with such a respectable meal!

Fair enough... I think the only real drawback with going with anyone not Telstra is the coverage... and since I'm not with Telstra now (and 000 will always work, regardless of your carrier's coverage), I won't be losing anything. Plus Telstra charges twice as much as everyone else. And even if they didn't, I'd aviod them on general principles. *L*

Cool beans. :)

I'll let you know soon! I'd better head off, if I'm going to do that and take a peek at a 3 store as well.

Also, remind me to not read Willie's diary again. I'm happier not knowning. :mad: :scream:

Toodles! :wave:

Cool, thank you! Just so you (and any other Victorian threaders with my number) know, if you text me I probably won't reply except online, since international texting fees blow so much. I unexpectedly found myself without credit on Wednesday and only just topped up ... plan to avoid using the phone as much as I can until I have a Kiwi SIM.

Hah, what did you read in his diary?

I have this awful feeling that you're going to end up with scurvy or something. *L* Glad you found a wine to go with such a respectable meal!

Fair enough... I think the only real drawback with going with anyone not Telstra is the coverage... and since I'm not with Telstra now (and 000 will always work, regardless of your carrier's coverage), I won't be losing anything. Plus Telstra charges twice as much as everyone else. And even if they didn't, I'd aviod them on general principles. *L*

We'll have a heart attack sooner than scurvy! Heh, we saw a car the other day with a number plate that I first read as SCURVY. Turned out just to be SURVY. I was let down.

I think Optus's coverage rivals Tel$tra's? Mum's mobile Intarwebz is with Internode but uses the Optus mobile network and she's rarely ever out of range, even when her Vodafone mobile is.

We'll have a heart attack sooner than scurvy! Heh, we saw a car the other day with a number plate that I first read as SCURVY. Turned out just to be SURVY. I was let down.

I think Optus's coverage rivals Tel$tra's? Mum's mobile Intarwebz is with Internode but uses the Optus mobile network and she's rarely ever out of range, even when her Vodafone mobile is.

Aw, that's a shame.

Yeah, Optus is pretty good, but 3 will roam on Telstra's 3D netword (not Next Gen though) if there's no local 3 coverage. I'm not sure if calls I make while it's roaming will cost more though...

Yes, yes he will. Sadly.... we all got along without them once upon a time.

I wouldn't say 'sadly'. Even for all my Luddite tendencies, I'd rather get on with a mobile than without. As it happens, I was just reading a letter from 1857 that describes travelling from Nelson to Christchurch "easily" in a week. Nowadays, Google Maps estimates the drive of ~520km as taking only just over 5.5 hours. (By foot it reckons 3.5 days, haha.) How things change ...

Given how you felt after Dublin 3, I'm not sure I should tell you... unless you already knew what they'd considered doing? (Besides what we heard in the soundcheck.)

Willie agitated for October --> White As Snow --> New Year's Day.

And I should upload a picture or two if I'm making the new thread soon ...

I wouldn't say 'sadly'. Even for all my Luddite tendencies, I'd rather get on with a mobile than without. As it happens, I was just reading a letter from 1857 that describes travelling from Nelson to Christchurch "easily" in a week. Nowadays, Google Maps estimates the drive of ~520km as taking only just over 5.5 hours. (By foot it reckons 3.5 days, haha.) How things change ...

I suppose that 3.5 days would be without stopping...

Yeah, I have to admit, I prefer being alive now than what it must have been like back then.

Good lord, Photobucket gets more ugly every time I visit it.

Willie agitated for October --> White As Snow --> New Year's Day.

And I should upload a picture or two if I'm making the new thread soon ...

The bit that got me mad was this:

" For a while we toyed with the idea of attempting White as Snow tonight and they played Drowning Man again at sound check, but in the end we felt like it would probably be better to go with a set which would keep the mood up, so put in New Year's Day instead."

Now, I know you love NYD more than I do, but... :gah: How can they not see the vast gap between playing a song they've never done live before and one they've done a billion times?!? Was that the reason they wussed out with that bullshit about keeping the mood up? No, they just got scared and played it safe.

*fumes impotently*

Back
Top Bottom