Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screwtape2 said:

You might hate a lot of the songs but from a mixing standpoint it is beautiful. The title track and Lemon being the best examples.

Zooropa, the song, is mixed really well.

I can't say the same for Numb or Stay though.

KhanadaRhodes said:

I don't know if they're ever going to come back to Australia though. I hope so. I think they got good crowds. But ugh, every time a band comes here, you really do have to think "shit, this could be the only time". That's why I'm going to all three PT gigs.

Well, and because I adore PT.

Screwtape2 said:
You might hate a lot of the songs but from a mixing standpoint it is beautiful. The title track and Lemon being the best examples.

I did not like the mixing on the first two minutes. That muddy sound kind of worked and kind of made sense, but could have been done much better. And the random people talking noise was just WTF.

I'll give you Lemon: love the instrumental sound. The only problem with that track is vocally, and that's not a mixing thing.

But Numb? DGPFYCC? Bad.

And neither of those compares to Dirty Day, which is one of the worst mixed songs U2 has.

Axver said:

Maybe it's mixed well.... but the problem lies within the equilization. Everything is horribly mid-rangey. I generally lump EQ and mixing together, since it's the job of the mixer to deal with that.

Axver said:
I don't know if they're ever going to come back to Australia though. I hope so. I think they got good crowds. But ugh, every time a band comes here, you really do have to think "shit, this could be the only time". That's why I'm going to all three PT gigs.

Well, and because I adore PT.
i'll make them come back. :D

and i still think that's incredibly shitty how few bands tour australia on a regular basis.

KhanadaRhodes said:
do i HAVE to listen to the entire playlist of a desert island submission? i mean, if i've listened to 3/4ths of it, that's good enough, right?

I've given up on plenty in the past.

I don't like Zooropa much. I've tried, but most of the songs sound the same. Numb, Lemon, Stay and the title track are about all I can stand.

Axver said:

I can't say the same for Numb or Stay though.

Stay feels cramped to me...definitely the worst on the album from a production standpoint.

I love the mixing on Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car though. :rockon:

phillyfan26 said:
And neither of those compares to Dirty Day, which is one of the worst mixed songs U2 has.

I think that's less bad mixing and more Bono recording with a cold.

the tourist said:

That's not the one. :(

Aww :(

If I remember, I think it was from a BBC session, the one your looking for. It was the first I'd heard of Ground Beneath Her Feet and it completely floored me. I like the complete version but still, I think they could've just kept it acoustic.. it was just as, if not more so powerful.

Axver said:

I think that's less bad mixing and more Bono recording with a cold.

The vocals are bad sure. But the mixing is atrocious. That chorus should have such power ... and doesn't. At all.

ugh, i hate this first song already. and it's nine minutes long!
down.gif

My stance on Zooropa:

Love:
- Zooropa
- Lemon
- The Wanderer

Like:
- Numb (love if we go by the Best Of Mix)
- Stay (love if we go by full band live)

Alright:
- Some Days Are Better Than Others
- The First Time
- Dirty Day (best track on the album if we go by the live version)

Don't like:
- Daddy's Gonna Pay

Absolute rubbish:
- Babyface

Screwtape2 said:

Name one thing wrong with the mixing and I will tell you it isn't a problem with the mixing.
the tourist said:

Maybe it's mixed well.... but the problem lies within the equilization. Everything is horribly mid-rangey. I generally lump EQ and mixing together, since it's the job of the mixer to deal with that.

LemonMelon said:
sars. it's just...i can't really put it into words as to why i don't like it, but i don't. and the thing about me not liking songs like stay and one, it's not like "i've heard them hyped so much online now i can't stand them" or anything. i didn't like them when i first heard them either, and i got both albums pretty much right around when they came out.

*facepalm* The Wanderer. I keep forgetting that's on Zooropa. I first heard it on a Johnny Cash mix CD from a friend, so I don't associate it with U2. To me, it's Cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom