Orange Free State, South Africa superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
PFan, Disc 1 Side A was actually a little better than I expected. And Won't Get Fooled Again into Zooropa works really well.

Zooropa's my favourite song that you've used so far, though I expect to like your conclusion even more.

Glad to hear it.

I think someone else mentioned liking the WGFA > Zooropa transition.

Synchronicity II is one of the few songs I like from the Synchronicity album. :up:

unico said:
ah okay. feel refreshed?
i'm trying to enjoy it while i can. once school starts i won't have as much time :(
yeah, more or less. there's still some unresolved crap that had a hand in why i took a break, but it's not as big of a deal to me as it was a few weeks ago.

i totally hear you about school. i keep putting off enrolling again, and i'm just taking 2000-level classes. :hug:

I was kind of digging the Subterranean Masquerade song until they did the whole metal/rage/growl vocal thing. Now, it's back to being good again.

the tourist said:
I'm still on Khan's list. Does that make me a bad person?

Nah, you've listened to more than me!

Oh shit, I just realised PFan's first disc ends with The Killers and Franz Ferdinand. This can't go well.

Axver said:

The Beatles are honestly one of the worst bands I have ever heard. What do you see in them?

I especially hate their vocals, just for the record.

I could ask what you see in death metal, too, but it'd just be a repetitive neverending cycle of banter. You see, I also like Zeppelin and find their music very interesting--and their production and mixing is amazing. Anyway, I love the Beatles for their voices and their ability to make a catchy pop song with sincere meaning.

phillyfan26 said:
I was kind of digging the Subterranean Masquerade song until they did the whole metal/rage/growl vocal thing. Now, it's back to being good again.

I'm glad that song worked well early, because I think it eases people into the whole metal aesthetic. It's more death rock than death metal, and has a fair bit of clean vocals to offset the death growls. Plus they're very comprehensible growls as far as these things go.

the tourist said:
You see, I also like Zeppelin and find their music very interesting--and their production and mixing is amazing.

Very true. Jimmy Page's guitar always sounds good thanks to it.

KhanadaRhodes said:

don't tell me you don't like the police!!!

You know I like some songs, and most of the Regatta de Blanc album. But they are very, very hit and miss.

Axver said:

Nah, you've listened to more than me!

Oh shit, I just realised PFan's first disc ends with The Killers and Franz Ferdinand. This can't go well.

:lol: You're not going to listen to mine, are you? You'll skip every song. :wink:

Axver said:
I'm glad that song worked well early, because I think it eases people into the whole metal aesthetic. It's more death rock than death metal, and has a fair bit of clean vocals to offset the death growls. Plus they're very comprehensible growls as far as these things go.

I hate the death growl concept as a whole. I think it's laughably pathetic. The clean vocals on the song work well ... so why fuck with that?

Still, overall, it's a decent track.

Well, this Killers song is at least better than that fucking dreadful All These Things I've Done song that has the worst lyric in all recorded history.

phillyfan26 said:

Very true. Jimmy Page's guitar always sounds good thanks to it.

And their drums, too. I highly recommend listening to How The West Was Won live by Zeppelin. Actually, PFan, just for you, I'll try to upload it. And you can see if you like it.

live to tell :drool: i really like bono_212's playlist.

it's sad, everything i like is stupid pop music, it seems. i think the only thing that wouldn't fall into the pop category that i like is early split enz (seriously, anyone who knows what i like and then listened to something like, say, titus or under the wheel would be shocked i love that band), maaaaaybe japan, and david sylvian. boo.
down.gif

Axver said:

You know I like some songs, and most of the Regatta de Blanc album. But they are very, very hit and miss.
I don't like the police either. Sting's voice drives me up the wall.

the tourist said:

And their drums, too. I highly recommend listening to How The West Was Won live by Zeppelin. Actually, PFan, just for you, I'll try to upload it. And you can see if you like it.

Like with When the Levee Breaks. Absolutely phenomenal.

Not to mention a great performance too.

Axver said:
Well, this Killers song is at least better than that fucking dreadful All These Things I've Done song that has the worst lyric in all recorded history.
:bow: Finally someone says it! Axver, you are my music hero.

Axver said:
reggatta de blanc is an awesome album, but zenyatta mondatta is brilliance. i think synchronicity is a tad overrated, but on the other hand it is a near perfect album.

phillyfan26 said:

I hate the death growl concept as a whole. I think it's laughably pathetic. The clean vocals on the song work well ... so why fuck with that?

Still, overall, it's a decent track.

You haven't heard black metal yet. It wouldn't even make sense with clean vocals. The instrumental sound pretty much demands the black metal rasp. Nothing else would work with the aesthetic.

I don't have any black metal in this list, but Arcturus is an avantgarde metal band rooted in black metal - they use clean vocals.

KhanadaRhodes said:

never mind, i'm slow. it doesn't make you a bad person. i usually procrastinate listening to these playlists.

Massive ups to the Liam Finn song. :up:

Hah, The Killers and Franz Ferdinand are very samey, or at least these songs are.

Axver said:

Never heard it. Not a Killers fan. Song came from a burnt CD my brother received, I happened to like this particular track.

Axver said:
Hah, The Killers and Franz Ferdinand are very samey, or at least these songs are.

I thought so too. I don't listen to enough Killers to know if they both sound the same often.

RegularBonoFan said:
:bow: Finally someone says it! Axver, you are my music hero.

I've always despised them. I remember when Brandon Flowers came on stage with U2 in 2005. That sucked beyond words. And Bono snippeting All These Things I've Done in Beautiful Day made me cringe. A lot.

phillyfan26 said:

Like with When the Levee Breaks. Absolutely phenomenal.

Not to mention a great performance too.
I take it you don't have How the West Was Won by Zep?

phillyfan26 said:

Never heard it. Not a Killers fan. Song came from a burnt CD my brother received, I happened to like this particular track.

All These Things I've Done has the line "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier".

WTF.

Yeah, and I've been in a car but I'm not a carrot. UNRELATED WORDS, DIPSHITS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom