NFL 2007 Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache, question for you.

Do you, as a fan, really hope Brady is hurt for the game, and less than 100%, or do you want to see the Giants play and hopefully beat the Pats with them at full strength, so there are no excuses? I'm really curious, because I do not know how I'd feel. Part of me just wants my team to win, circumstances be damned, and part of me, I guess the part of me that's big on sportsmanship, would want the opponent at full strength.

On the flip side of that, I remember when Nova lost to UNC by one in the tournament ... without Curtis Sumpter, their best player. That one hurt. Oh, what could have been...

Also, the bullshit travelling call, but that's water under the bridge (sort of).

No spoken words said:

Do you, as a fan, really hope Brady is hurt for the game, and less than 100%, or do you want to see the Giants play and hopefully beat the Pats with them at full strength, so there are no excuses?

:shh: I would.

But, then again, I can be a bit of a jackass sometimes. :)

No spoken words said:
Headache, question for you.

Do you, as a fan, really hope Brady is hurt for the game, and less than 100%, or do you want to see the Giants play and hopefully beat the Pats with them at full strength, so there are no excuses? I'm really curious, because I do not know how I'd feel. Part of me just wants my team to win, circumstances be damned, and part of me, I guess the part of me that's big on sportsmanship, would want the opponent at full strength.

i would prefer if they beat them at full strength, but i would not shed a tear if they won because of an injury. it is part of the game, and it only goes to make this run that the pats are on all the more impressive, because injuries are so common in the NFL.

no one was crying for the giants went phil simms went down in 1990. when they were 2 touchdown underdogs against an "unstoppable offense" lead by questionable quarterback jeff hostettler :hmm:

gostkowski... wide right. giants 20, patriots 19 :hi5:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

no one was crying for the giants went phil simms went down in 1990. when they were 2 touchdown underdogs against an "unstoppable offense" lead by questionable quarterback jeff hostettler :hmm:

They were only 7.5-8 point dogs. :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXV

Super Bowl XXV
1 2 3 4 Total
Bills 3 9 0 7 19
Giants 3 7 7 3 20

Date January 27, 1991
Stadium Tampa Stadium
City Tampa, Florida
MVP Ottis Anderson, Running back
Favorite Bills by 8
National anthem Whitney Houston
Coin toss Pete Rozelle
Referee Jerry Seeman
Halftime show New Kids on the Block
Attendance 73,813
TV in the United States
Network ABC
Announcers Al Michaels, Dan Dierdorf, and Frank Gifford
Nielsen Ratings 41.8
Market share 63
Cost of 30-second commercial US$800,000
I think it was always around 7.5 or 8. (I know, I gave the points
:ohmy: )

No way the line dropped 5.5 points from its opening.

Ok, I thought I'd drop in and congratulate Headache and the Giants on their impressive win Sunday...I think I'm finally over it now.

Hopefully the Giants can pull off the big upset now

sheesh... that would keep Ladanian Tomlinson out for 3 months.

I'm sorry, but this is such a BS comment, I can't leave it be. I see you are buying into the media BS about LT and his injuries - I pose one question - what was he to do? Play as a RUNNINGback on a sprained MCL??? Its not like he was in a position that doesn't require him to use that MCL to cut, run, etc. That is an injury that takes at least 4 weeks to heal. He tried to play with less than one week of healing time. You can't run and be effective with that kind of injury. A full strength Michael Turner was the better option than an injured LT period.

Any of these talking heads who now want to portray him as a wimp are just totally ridiculous, and looking for a story, because we all know the media loves to build someone up so they can knock them down. I know its popular to bag on the Chargers on this board, but this one is too much.

Piggybacking on the previous question, I also wonder how many Pats fans out there really are glad they played the Chargers with many of our main players injured. I know no one wishes injury on the other team (or, at least, no one really admits it :wink: ), and I know its sports, and thats the way it goes, but I honestly think the Chargers could have beat them had we had our main weapons at full strength. The Pats were clearly the better team on Sunday, and I know we will never know "what could have been", but I also know if I was a Pats fan, I would be happy that they didn't have to find out.

I hope the Giants have all their main weapons healthy for the game. If they do, I think we are going to see a much closer game than people think.

Kinsa said:

I'm sorry, but this is such a BS comment, I can't leave it be. I see you are buying into the media BS about LT and his injuries - I pose one question - what was he to do? Play as a RUNNINGback on a sprained MCL??? Its not like he was in a position that doesn't require him to use that MCL to cut, run, etc. That is an injury that takes at least 4 weeks to heal. He tried to play with less than one week of healing time. You can't run and be effective with that kind of injury. A full strength Michael Turner was the better option than an injured LT period.

Any of these talking heads who now want to portray him as a wimp are just totally ridiculous, and looking for a story, because we all know the media loves to build someone up so they can knock them down. I know its popular to bag on the Chargers on this board, but this one is too much.

that's fine and dandy.

but i know this... sam madison was injured for the giants against the cowboys. he spent the entire game cheering on the sidelines, helping out his younger replacements, giving advice, ya know... being a leader.

ladanian tomlinson spent the entire game sulking on the sideline like a little baby, after he talked so much trash about how he wanted to get back at the patriots last year.

so yes... ladanian tomlinson is a little bitch. phil rivers is twice the leader tomlinson will ever be, and that's why tomlinson may put up all the stats in the world, but he'll never be the great all time player that he could and probably should be. he's soft.

that's fine and dandy.

but i know this... sam madison was injured for the giants against the cowboys. he spent the entire game cheering on the sidelines, helping out his younger replacements, giving advice, ya know... being a leader.

ladanian tomlinson spent the entire game sulking on the sideline like a little baby, after he talked so much trash about how he wanted to get back at the patriots last year.

Hard to argue with this. If I were a Chargers fan, the shots of Ladanian (he aint no LT, as Hewson pointed out earlier), sitting and pouting on the sideline, with his fucking helmet on the whole time would have driven me berserk. I do not know if he could have fough through his injury and played, no idea, but I do know that if you cannot play, at least make yourself useful.

that's fine and dandy.

so yes... ladanian tomlinson is a little bitch. phil rivers is twice the leader tomlinson will ever be, and that's why tomlinson may put up all the stats in the world, but he'll never be the great all time player that he could and probably should be. he's soft.

Well, he was in for a drive and kind of sucked ass. He tried, but couldn't make the same cuts and was clearly much slower.

He was smart not to play.

that's fine and dandy.

That's fine. So, what's your beef with him, that he should have played (which you insinuated with your first post, that he is a wimp) or that he should have been a cheerleader?? Two entirely different issues.

Were you at the game? Did you see LT on the sidelines the entire time? Or did you just see the few 2-3 second clips CBS decided to show you?? Because people who were at the game (sportscasters, etc) said they did see him plenty of time talking to others, up and about, not sulking, etc. But reality probably doesn't matter, right?

I know its popular not to like LT, I get it. It popular to build someone up so you can knock them down. I also know he would help himself tremendoulsy if he would keep his mouth shut (which I think he has learned). But unless you are a Chargers fan, and have been one for the past 15 years, you honestly have no idea how this man has single handedly turned this team and franchise around. He sacrificed A LOT to stay with the Chargers, if he had been on a big East Coast team (a la the Giants), the man would have had major endoresement deals from the start. Instead, it took him to be the MVP of the league to get people (outside of real football fans) to take notice. I have met the man personally several times at different charity functions, and TO A FAULT, he is nothing but kind and gracious to all around him.

So, he sat down the second half and kept his helmet on. WHO CARES. His teammates didn't. I personally believe it was because he was so devestated he couldn't keep his emotions in check, and he didn't want the media to be plastering "Crybaby LT" everywhere. Whatever. I'd rather have someone who cares so much about getting to the Superbowl that he can't control his emotions when the dream is yet again delayed, than someone who is just there for the paycheck.

And I totally agree with you about Rivers. He stepped up big time on Sunday, and demonstrated his committment to winning. I love his fire. He is a fierce competitor, always has been. But, that's the same fire that the media loves to jump on when his emotions get the better of him and he can't control his mouth. This week, that's ok, and its popular to like him now. Just wait, I'm sure they will find a reason to hate him again soon.

LemonMelon said:

Well, he was in for a drive and kind of sucked ass. He tried, but couldn't make the same cuts and was clearly much slower.

He was smart not to play.

ok i guess you didn't read my entire post so let me clarify.

fine... even if he was just so injured that he couldn't gut it out, he certainly could have done a hell of a lot more than sit on the sidelines and sulk like a little baby.

that's not being a leader... that's being a pansy.

a leader would be walking, hobiling on the sidelines, offering advice to teammates, encouraging them, cheering them on... a pansy sits on the bench and feels sorry for himself.

ladanian tomlinson is no leader.

and as hewson has already said, he's certainly no LT.

No spoken words said:

(he aint no LT, as Hewson pointed out earlier), .

PUHLEASE.:rolleyes: This cracks me up. I know its porpular for Pats fans to refuse to call him LT, but those are HIS INITIALS, its not like he went out and created a nickname for himself based on some other player. And its not like his name is Luke Taylor, which is easy to pronounce, and thus, no need to shorten it, the man has a tounge twister of a name.

Lawrence Taylor himself has no problem with it, so why is it even an issue?

Kinsa said:

That's fine. So, what's your beef with him, that he should have played (which you insinuated with your first post, that he is a wimp) or that he should have been a cheerleader?? Two entirely different issues.

Were you at the game? Did you see LT on the sidelines the entire time? Or did you just see the few 2-3 second clips CBS decided to show you?? Because people who were at the game (sportscasters, etc) said they did see him plenty of time talking to others, up and about, not sulking, etc. But reality probably doesn't matter, right?

I know its popular not to like LT, I get it. It popular to build someone up so you can knock them down. I also know he would help himself tremendoulsy if he would keep his mouth shut (which I think he has learned). But unless you are a Chargers fan, and have been one for the past 15 years, you honestly have no idea how this man has single handedly turned this team and franchise around. He sacrificed A LOT to stay with the Chargers, if he had been on a big East Coast team (a la the Giants), the man would have had major endoresement deals from the start. Instead, it took him to be the MVP of the league to get people (outside of real football fans) to take notice. I have met the man personally several times at different charity functions, and TO A FAULT, he is nothing but kind and gracious to all around him.

So, he sat down the second half and kept his helmet on. WHO CARES. His teammates didn't. I personally believe it was because he was so devestated he couldn't keep his emotions in check, and he didn't want the media to be plastering "Crybaby LT" everywhere. Whatever. I'd rather have someone who cares so much about getting to the Superbowl that he can't control his emotions when the dream is yet again delayed, than someone who is just there for the paycheck.

And I totally agree with you about Rivers. He stepped up big time on Sunday, and demonstrated his committment to winning. I love his fire. He is a fierce competitor, always has been. But, that's the same fire that the media loves to jump on when his emotions get the better of him and he can't control his mouth. This week, that's ok, and its popular to like him now. Just wait, I'm sure they will find a reason to hate him again soon.

LT was somewhere in new jersey snorting coke off a hooker's ass. Ladanian Tomlinson was sulking on the sidelines.

i'm sure he moved around a bit... but there were more than 2-3 second clips of him. they showed him once every 5 minutes, in the same spot, in the same pose.

if ladanian tomlinson was walking the sidelines being energetic for his teammates, do you honestly think they wouldn't have shown that on TV? really? do you now?

my main issue with ladanian tomlinson is that he talks a big game and then doesn't back it up. i never really had an issue with him whatsoever until he opened up his big mouth after the patriots playoff game last year. the fact that he lambasted the entire patriots organization for mocking a dance that in and of it's own right is unsportsmanlike to begin with just goes to show how clueless he is. he may be a fine gentleman off the field. but i really don't care what he is off the field.

could he have tried to play longer than he did? yes. if he still couldn't play could he have done more on the sideline to be the leader he's supposed to be? yes.

you like him, and that's fine. i don't. i think on the field he's a phony. off the field, i don't care. i know a lot of people who know ron artest personaly and say he's a great guy who does a ton for the community. terrific. on the court he's still a pscyho nut job.

Kinsa said:

PUHLEASE.:rolleyes: This cracks me up. I know its porpular for Pats fans to refuse to call him LT, but those are HIS INITIALS, its not like he went out and created a nickname for himself based on some other player. And its not like his name is Luke Taylor, which is easy to pronounce, and thus, no need to shorten it, the man has a tounge twister of a name.

Lawrence Taylor himself has no problem with it, so why is it even an issue?

:scratch: exactly how is it difficult to pronounce ladanian and/or tomlinson?

and i'm a giants fan... to me, there will forever be only one LT.

it would be like if some basketball player with the last name Jordan came along and started calling himself Air Jordan. even if he was an all star. ummm, no... you're not air jordan. and he's not LT.

i'm sure he moved around a bit... but there were more than 2-3 second clips of him. they showed him once every 5 minutes, in the same spot, in the same pose.

if ladanian tomlinson was walking the sidelines being energetic for his teammates, do you honestly think they wouldn't have shown that on TV? really? do you now?

Please, they did not show him once every 5 minutes, you know, there was a championship game going on too.
What you saw was MAXIMUM 30 seconds total of a 3 hour game. If that is what you base your perception on, that's fine, but you have to know you are seeing what the media wants you to see, and not reality of the entire event. Those who were at the game have repeadetly said the coverage was limited snapshots. But I guess that doesn't matter.

I get it - you don't like him. He's a pussy, he wasn't a cheerleader, etc. etc. That's fine. I know lots of people don't like him, that's fine. I get it.

But your original post making fun of him for not playing on a sprained MCL just demonstrates how you have obviously bought into the bias against him in the media. What runningback in the NFL WOULD play on a sprained MCL????

Last edited:
do you care to show your sources on the whole "the media didn't show him when he was moving around, only, ironicly, when he was sitting in the same spot in the same pose, not moving whatsoever" thing you've got going here? or are we just gonna go on your word?

i watched the game... no, sorry, i was not able to get to the game myself. my bad, i'll try harder next time. but as far as i remember, every time they mentioned tomlinson, which was fairly often, they showed him... seated on the bench, looking straight ahead, darth vader helmet still in tact.

if you want to show me the people who said otherwise, then i'll be happy to reconsider. i'm basing my opinion based only on what i personally saw on TV. yes, what they show on TV can be misleading. but i've yet to see anything telling any other story other than what you're posting right here. if you have that proof, that he was up and being a leader and the media just doesn't like him, fine... show it.

oh... and if you haven't figured this one out yet, the "that would keep ladanian tomlinson out for 3 months" comment was tongue in cheek sarcasm. even i know he'd only sit out 2 months with a mild high ankle sprain.

and lastly, the fact remains that tomlinson took himself out of the game after 2 plays. philip rivers played the entire game on NO acl, tomlinson took himself out after two plays because of a sprained mcl.

lawrence taylor would have had to be dragged off the field. emmitt smith would have been dragged off the field. the true greats play until they can't play no more, and are forced off the field. they don't ask out because it hurts. they're taken out because they just can't do it.

in fact i can distinctly remember emmitt smith destroying the giants in giants stadium with a pulled hamstring and a severly separated shoulder. "gimmie the ball till i drop" was the quote, i do believe.

why? 'cause that's what big time players do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom