New Tori Amos Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

How is it lame? :(

It's just pointless and annoying. I've learned that there are a number of B-sides that are specific to where you buy the CD--like, if you bought it at Best Buy you get one bonus track, if you bought it from iTunes you get a different one, and if you bought it at Borders you get yet another (different) bonus track. So here's this whole DVD with lame material that I actually fast-forwarded through hoping to get to something substantive (never happened), when she could have given a bonus CD with all these B-sides on it.

I don't know, the packaging and whole concept seems desperate and overdone, while the music itself is quite good. The music is enough, is what I'm saying, without all this conceptual stuff which seems, quite honestly, a mess to me.

But again, I'm loving the songs. I've only gotten through half of it and already there are a few that sound like instant Tori classics. Too soon to say, really, but from one brief listen, I'm impressed and looking forward to digging in deeper. :drool:

yeah, that's the important thing--the rest I'm just whining about and I really don't need to. Sorry. :reject:

Got a good review in the New York Times, too--short but sweet:

TORI AMOS
American Doll Posse
(Epic)

Tori Amos recently announced that her new album was “an opportunity to reclaim the segmented pieces of the female psyche” — and, she added, to “reunite them.” Is that all? To this end, Ms. Amos has created five personae — Isabel, Clyde, Pip, Santa and, confusingly, Tori — to sing the 23 songs on “American Doll Posse.” Before you ask: yes, each persona does maintain a personal Web site.

By this point in her extraordinary career, 15 years removed from her blockbuster solo debut, “Little Earthquakes,” Ms. Amos has weeded out most of the casual listeners from her fan base; the tourists are gone and the Torists remain. But “American Doll Posse” isn’t quite the fans-only project it might first seem to be. Although the album’s conceit might seem heavy-handed, Ms. Amos treats the whole thing like a game: this is her most entertaining album in years, precisely because she keeps switching among characters and styles.

Not that everything works. The first song, “Yo George,” is a shopworn political lament. (She murmurs, “Where have we gone wrong America?/Mr. Lincoln we can’t seem/to find you anywhere.”) But it’s over in little more than a minute (one upside to cramming 23 tracks onto a CD), replaced by a jagged and mischievous Southern-rock song, “Big Wheel.” This album is full of pleasant surprises: the R.E.M. flourish that opens “Secret Spell”; the sleek bass line in “Bouncing Off Clouds”; the 90-second orchestral daydream that is “Programmable Soda.” A message to lapsed Tori Amos fans: come back. You won’t be bored. KELEFA SANNEH

joyfulgirl said:
A message to lapsed Tori Amos fans: come back. You won’t be bored.

Works for me! :wink:

I already knew I'd buy it, since I still want to keep giving her a chance to win me back as a fan. I picked it up after work and will give it a listen soon.

I went to work at 7:15 this morning and just got home at 11:30 pm after being at work for 12 hours and then having dinner with a friend.

I did not buy the album yet.

I lose at life.

:down:

Screwtape2 said:
The true gem on this album is Digital Ghost :drool: :drool: :drool:

:drool:

Code Red, Girl Disappearing, Father's Son, Smokey Joe
:drool: :drool: :drool:

HG :hug:
Tori will still be there whenever you get to her. Can't wait to hear your impressions (no pressure or anything, lol).

HeartlandGirl said:
I went to work at 7:15 this morning and just got home at 11:30 pm after being at work for 12 hours and then having dinner with a friend.

I did not buy the album yet.

I lose at life.

:down:

Aw c'mon! What's the difference in a few days? Buy it by the weekend. :wink:

I bought the regular version today at Target for $11.99. A free poster is supposedly included in the case. Not opened it yet but am about to. :hyper: Didn't get the deluxe version cos joyful didn't seem all that thrilled about it. Also cos it was 19.99 at Best Buy and wasn't available anywhere else I checked.

Zootlesque said:

I bought the regular version today at Target for $11.99. A free poster is supposedly included in the case. Not opened it yet but am about to. :hyper: Didn't get the deluxe version cos joyful didn't seem all that thrilled about it. Also cos it was 19.99 at Best Buy and wasn't available anywhere else I checked.

check your email.

Zootlesque said:

The regular version apparently has a bonus track that the deluxe version doesn't have, unless it's on the DVD which means you have to play the DVD to hear the song, or at least I haven't figured out how to rip the audio (which doesn't mean it isn't possible). I'm all confused about the bonus tracks. Please report back about your tracklist. :grumpy:

Am completely in love with:
Code Red
Father's Son
Smokey Joe

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I might have to go out and get the Beekeeper this weekend. I need to reaquaint me with Ms Amos. :heart:

:ohmy: You don't have the Beekeeper? Get it! It's got a couple of snoozers but still mostly really good.

2 of my best friends are obsessed with Tori Amos, but I've never been into her.:reject: I've been lurking this thread lately, and I'm starting to become very interested in her work. Where should I start? Any suggestions?

joyfulgirl said:
I'm all confused about the bonus tracks. Please report back about your tracklist. :grumpy:

:lol: :hug:

Here's the tracklist on my regular version...

1. Yo George
2. Big Wheel
3. Bouncing off Clouds
4. Teenage Hustling
5. Digital Ghost
6. You Can Bring Your Dog
7. Mr. Bad Man
8. Fat Slut
9. Girl Disappearing
10. Secret Spell
11. Devils and Gods
12. Body and Soul
13. Father's Son
14. Programmable Soda
15. Code Red
16. Roosterspur Bridge
17. Beauty of Speed
18. Almost Rosey
19. Velvet Revolution
20. Dark Side of the Sun
21. Posse Bonus
22. Smokey Joe
23. Dragon

Thanks for the email, U2Man! :up:

U2isthebest said:
2 of my best friends are obsessed with Tori Amos, but I've never been into her.:reject: I've been lurking this thread lately, and I'm starting to become very interested in her work. Where should I start? Any suggestions?

Well, let's see, my favorite is her 2nd album Under The Pink. It's got the hits "God" and "Cornflake Girl" and a whole bunch of other great, great stuff. "Pretty Good Year" :drool: :drool:

Her first album Little Earthquakes is probably the best for a beginner, since it is probably her most accessible album, followed closely by her 4th LP From The Choirgirl Hotel.

I think if you start with Little Earthquakes or Choirgirl Hotel you'll be good. Then get Under the Pink, followed by To Venus and Back and finally the super dense, challenging but rewarding Boys for Pele (NOT for beginners!).

Scarlet's Walk is good, but not really indicative of all that Tori is capable of, and I've never gotten through The Beekeeper without falling asleep, so I'd skip that one.

So, to summarize:

1. Little Earthquakes or From The Choirgirl Hotel
2. Under The Pink
3. To Venus and Back
4. Boys For Pele
5. Scarlet's Walk

That's my $ .02

:)

Last edited:
U2isthebest said:
Where should I start? Any suggestions?

First...

B000002IT2.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Then...

B000002IXU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:drool:

By the way, who else thinks that the picture of her, bible in hand with blood dripping down her leg would have made a MUCH better cover?! :slant:

FitzChivalry said:

Her first album Little Earthquakes is probably the best for a beginner, since it is probably her most accessible album, followed closely by her 4th LP From The Choirgirl Hotel.

I think if you start with Little Earthquakes or Choirgirl Hotel you'll be good.

:up: Exactly! After those two, I'd pick up this one.

Thank you Fitz and Zootles:bow: :hug: I've always heard "Little Earthquakes" is the best place to start. I actually saw that just last week, very cheap if I recall *makes mental note* I can't wait to check her out!

My two cents worth on where to start...

I'd start in order with Tori. Little Earthquakes > Under the Pink > Boys for Pele. It worked for me and all my friends. :wink:

I don't agree at all that Boys for Pele should wait until after To Venus & Back. It's a masterpiece and follows the first two records perfectly and in fact, Choirgirl makes sense only after Pele, imo, because it marked a complete change in direction, much like Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby, and Ok Computer to Kid A. Having Pele follow To Venus & Back just doesn't make any sense to me. :shrug:

Not that it matters all that much in the long run, lol. As long as you start with Little Earthquakes. We all agree on that!

However, wherever you start, U2isthebest, I hope you enjoy the trip!

Zootles > we have the same tracklist. So now I'm even more confused about the bonus tracks! :lol: I guess I'll let it go and wait until they appear for purchase on iTunes (if/when).

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
By the way, who else thinks that the picture of her, bible in hand with blood dripping down her leg would have made a MUCH better cover?! :slant:

I do. I love that photograph. It says so much in such a simple way. :yes:

So yay! I picked up the deluxe edition just now. I doubt I'll ever watch the DVD, but I figured as a serious fan, I should own it. Can't wait to listen to it. :drool:

I also got a free Tori poster of all the dolls with my purchase. :up:

Oh yeah. And I would go in order with Tori too. It worked for me. Then again, some of us longtime fans didn't have a choice. :wink:

I haven't picked up the new one yet, which is a little surprising for me since I'm a gotta-have-it-the-day-it's-released sort of gal. any suggestions on where to get it? I saw at Target, it comes with a free mini poster. any one know if any other stores have their own "exclusive"?

glad that it seems to have gotten good reviews from fans. :hyper:

Last edited:
My local shop had it "on sale" for $15.99, which was a bit of a bummer, but oh well. I guess not all their new releases can be 10 or 11 bucks.

The clerk offered me a free poster with it, but I turned it down.

Back
Top Bottom