Mynt Lounge, Werribee Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, let me downgrade that to subgenre. There are some clear folk influences, so it would be misleading not to have it somewhere.

Yeah, I'll readily vote for indie folk as a secondary. But I've never heard a folk album with that much fuzzy and distorted guitar. :wink:

True enough.

I stuck the space rock tag on there for Idling, which is basically the first ever space rock murder ballad.

I may make a thread for this album on the RYM boards. I asked them for advice re: psych rock a few months back, and they might be curious to know how it turned out.

I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to offer up my music to the RYM forum people! :lol:

A rant that no one else needs to read. Should probably go in zoo Confesh, but I'm too damn pissed to change threads.

This past week after some extreme pestering, I agreed to see Dave to clelbrate my birthday last week. I figured, meh, a free dinner. What the hell. A free dinner that somehow turned into me buying all the ingredients for and slaving over a hot stove for an hour to make my southern-style mac and cheese. He used some sort of Jedi mind trick on me. Anyway, so I'm cooking, making the cheese sauce and I happened to step backwards onto his stupid cat's tail. His stupid cat hates me, never comes near me, and yet she planted her fat ass directly behind my feet. Both he and his dad got all butthurt over it cause the cat screamed like she was being killed and ran off and they both had to chase after her to make sure she was OK. I'm sorry, but if the cat is dumb enough to sit her fat ass behind someone like that, maybe she deserves to be stepped on. My cat has the goddamn sense to move when someone's foot is coming in his direction. I didn't hurt her anyway. So I finish cooking, which is practically guerilla warfare because they have little to no cooking utensils, he takes one bite and decides it needs hot dogs. So he (no, wait, that was me while he farted around with his iPod) fries up four hot dogs and dumps those in the bowl on top of the mac and cheese I just spent an hour making, so there's more pig anuses than anything else in his bowl. Then as I'm serving his dad and myself, he whips out a birthday card. With Fonzie on the front, cause, you know, I'm such a huge Happy Days fan. What the actual fuck? So anyway, dinner's served, and he's agreed to watch Dr Horrible's Song-Along Blog. So I'm trying to get my iPod to work on his computer and he's actively fucking with things so it won't work. I see through it and get it to play anyway and not five minutes in, he gets up and talks on the phone for 20 minutes. I was ready to tell him to go fuck himself and leave after the cat incident and the hot dogs, but that sent me over the edge. He raves about the mac and cheese, which I take with a grain of salt, since he mostly just ate the pig anuses. After we finish Dr Horrible, which he clearly lies to my face about enjoying, he wants to watch Fringe. I'd rather stab myself in the eyeballs. I find Igor, the animated movie with John Cusack. Takes him 15 minutes, even after watching the opening credits to go "Hey, that's John Cusack!" He asks me if I want to come sit on his bed, I tell him my back hurts (which it does after being on my feet all day at home and then shopping and cooking) and that I'm comfortable sitting on his not-at-all comfortable leather couch in a position even a contortionist wouldn't attempt. It's getting late, so I tell him, when this is over, if I'm asleep (cause there was a good chance I would be), wake me up cause I need to get home. He agrees. I wake up on my own about 40 minutes after Igor ended, angry as hell, and couldn't get out of there fast enough. Happy birthday to me, from Dave. I need to find a way of telling him I don't want to do this shit anymore with him that's slightly less aggressive than my current idea of sending him a picture message with my middle finger extended. Fonzie? Seriously? What the fuck?

Hahaha what a lazyass. He probably re-gifted that card.

What did it say? "Happy Birthd...aayyyy *does that thumb thing he does*"?

Hahaha what a lazyass. He probably re-gifted that card.

What did it say? "Happy Birthd...aayyyy *does that thumb thing he does*"?

Worse. Front: "Aaaaayyyyy...It's your birthday!" Inside: "That's cool." Signature: "Yay for Fonzie! Happy birthday! - David"

Me, thinking, when I read it: "Are you fucking kidding me?"

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a birthday card involving less effort.

Not even "dear somebody, happy birthday!, cheers, so-and-so" cards.

I guess I need to get into the greeting card racket. Holy fuck.

Even worse: he took my "Are you fucking kidding me?" chuckle as amusement and thinks I enjoyed it. I was so so very close to "accidentally" leaving it on the stove.

Who told them it was OK to take some character from pop culture, take their catch phrase and tack "happy birthday" onto it?

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain. Happy birthday!" - Roy Batty, wishing you a happy birthday

Who told them it was OK to take some character from pop culture, take their catch phrase and tack "happy birthday" onto it?

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain. Happy birthday!" - Roy Batty, wishing you a happy birthday
Retarded greeting card makers, apparently.

How about this?

Cover: "To be or not to be, that is the question
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing, end them. To die, to sleep--
No more. And by a sleep to say we end
The heartache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,
To sleep perchance to dream, Ay there's the rub.
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life.
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear
To grunt and sweat under a weary life
But that the dread of something after death
The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience doth make cowards of us all
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied over with the pale cast of thought
And enterprises of great pitch and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry
And lose the name of action."

Inside: "Danes is the craziest peoples. Happy birthday!"

Soliloquy typed from memory. Suck it.

That's damn impressive.

History of the English Language has been a partially awful and partially brilliant course. Just hit the Renaissance and hella Shakespeare.

That's damn impressive.

History of the English Language has been a partially awful and partially brilliant course. Just hit the Renaissance and hella Shakespeare.

My 12th grade English teacher gave us 1 point of extra credit for every word of that soliloquy we could recite, so I memorized it. And got my however-may-words-that-is points of extra credit. I needed it after she didn't particularly like my South Park adaptation of Alice In Wonderland.

I hope everybody who contributed to making The Morning Benders change their name to something as dreadful as Pop Etc feels really, really bad. And this from a guy who finds their music underwhelming. The whole situation is just dumb.

Also, it was not until this very moment that I knew "bender" meant something other than 1. getting wasted or 2. the funniest robot on television.

traviud: when I get out of the shower: Me, my headphones, ramblewood. It's on.

I saw the first two episodes and found it dreadfully boring.

I hope everybody who contributed to making The Morning Benders change their name to something as dreadful as Pop Etc feels really, really bad. And this from a guy who finds their music underwhelming. The whole situation is just dumb.

Also, it was not until this very moment that I knew "bender" meant something other than 1. getting wasted or 2. the funniest robot on television.

THANK YOU.

I'm a fan and it fucking blows that I have to listen to a band named Pop, Etc. now.

Disinfectant Trifecta probably means "fuck you" in Icelandic. :shrug:

traviud: when I get out of the shower: Me, my headphones, ramblewood. It's on.

This is what I like to hear.

It is not possible to not like Fringe.

Haha, I figured that remark would bring you out of lurker mode.

This is what I like to hear.
I even got out the noise-cancellers. And if any of these can dislodge Davy Jones singing "Star Collector" from my brain, I will give you money for this album. What's the going rate for a person's sanity? £13.50?

It'll be the first money I've made with DT! I'm not picky at this stage.

Star Collector is a damn good song though, if I may say so.

It'll be the first money I've made with DT! I'm not picky at this stage.

Star Collector is a damn good song though, if I may say so.

Sonically, maybe, but the lyrics are stupid, and Davy's voice is flat and at its most nasal.

You know what song really kicks ass from that album? The Door Into Summer. That may end up on a DI list of mine someday.

THANK YOU.

I'm a fan and it fucking blows that I have to listen to a band named Pop, Etc. now.

Disinfectant Trifecta probably means "fuck you" in Icelandic. :shrug:

I can perhaps understand that the apparent awkwardness they experienced persuaded them that a name change was in order, but a name change to Pop Etc?! It's not like all the better names are taken.

And I bet Windmills Do Not Work That Way is a particularly vulgar expression about your cognitive faculties in Bermuda. Oh well, guess we won't tour there.

They really should have named themselves Oh God I Hope This Doesn't Offend Anyone PLEASE Don't Let This Offend Anyone, or perhaps Bubble Wrap.

Oh God I Hope This Doesn't Offend Anyone PLEASE Don't Let This Offend Anyone

I may just use this as the name for a hyper-offensive noise project tbat I've been contemplating. It will release songs with names like Copyright Can Get Fucked, Only Maggie Thatcher & Cockroaches (Will Survive Nuclear Winter), The Pope Is A Wanker, and What A Shame Hitler Hated Jews Rather Than The RIAA.

Axver said:

:up: to all your points here

I may just use this as the name for a hyper-offensive noise project tbat I've been contemplating. It will release songs with names like Copyright Can Get Fucked, Only Maggie Thatcher & Cockroaches (Will Survive Nuclear Winter), The Pope Is A Wanker, and What A Shame Hitler Hated Jews Rather Than The RIAA.

It really is a better name than this shit:

does-it-offend-you-yeah.jpg

I forgot to mention, looking back into DT's catalogue, I think you would do well to set your expectations extremely low, grab a few glasses of port and listen to Kiss. It's the closest I've come to a shoegaze album (it also has jangle pop and noise rock influences; very 80s), and there are a few outstanding tracks. Much of the rest is blithering nonsense and misguided rock for the sake of rocking though. I was 16 when I wrote it.

Mmm, shoegaze. Link me? Knowing my Internet at the moment, it'll download by about Wednesday. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom