My friend's Live Journal entry was reported to the FBI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
October 28, 2004

This is complete bullshit, one of my friends on LJ made a post about Mr. Bush and someone on LJ reported that post to the FBI. She was "kindly" visited by secret services. Her post was public. I can't give out names or a link to her journal at this moment until I have her permission to do so.

However, I feel violated in some way even though it wasn't I who was visited. A journal is supposed to be a forum for your personal thoughts. I love my Journal but I'm seriously having second thoughts about making this a public journal even though I do not like to run or hide from my feelings.

My friend now has a permanent record with the FBI all 'cause she expressed her views in her journal about George Bush. With this being said, I deleted all my entries regarding George Bush even though I'm Canadian 'cause the last thing I want is the FBI/Secret Service agent at my door while I'm sleeping.

Even though I'm known for writing controversial articles, I don't need a record with the FBI.

I'm curious about the fucktard who made the report against my friend without understanding the real meaning behind her entry.

how is it that all the psychotic 10 year olds on there arne't reported to mental institutions, then? cos that would make far more sense.

to play devils advocate, it also depends on what she said about bush.

you cant even joke about a presidents death or wanting to kill him or hoping he drops dead or anything like that, so if something like that was said or anything along those lines, i am not surprised at all.

but im just playing devils advocate here

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe that it wouldn't matter who was president. The secret service doesn't care, there job is to protect the president. And being reported is different than the government actively searching blogs for anti-president screeds.

This is not much different than having a neighbor call 911 reporting that something is amiss at your house. Eventually the police will show up. Is that big brother? No, it's nosy neighbor. :shrug:

I don't know if the Secret Service has jurisdiction outside of the United States. Maybe someone who knows about this can chime in. And if you didn't wish death on the president and propose a way for it happen, I don't think you have much to worry about at all.
I also agree that it all depends on what was written. If I described a plan to kill Michael Jackson, and someone reported me to the cops, it would the responsiblity of the cops to investigate. It's one way that they head off school shootings and other possible tragedies.

starsforu2 said:

This is not much different than having a neighbor call 911 reporting that something is amiss at your house. Eventually the police will show up. Is that big brother? No, it's nosy neighbor. :shrug:

I agree. It might seem a little extreme, but you can never be too careful. People have to take things like that seriously.

Kinda reminds me of an incident that happened to me recently. I took a couple different kinds of sleeping pills because I had a really long day ahead of me, and I'd been having problems sleeping, so I wanted to make sure I'd sleep. A friend of mine from the Ryan Adams board got on the phone with me, and while we were talking, the pills began kicking in. He asked what was wrong with me, and I told him I'd taken pills to sleep. He said I became harder and harder to understand, and we finally just said goodnight.

Less than a half hour later...about 1 in the morning...police were banging at the door, shining flashlights all over the house, and there was an ambulance...yep, he had called information to get in touch with my local cops to tell them I'd overdosed on pills. They almost broke the door down and threatened to use tazers on my dogs. :| I was so fucking pissed off...but...ya know...it was one of those things where you're better safe than sorry.

Is that someone scratching around outside my door!?

Oops I pooped my pants:ohmy:

I don't see why you don't link to her journal. After all, a link to it has popped up in nearly every other post on my flist ever since she made the post.

It's a public post. I'm sure people would like to actually read what happened in her words. :)

This one made dailykos.com, quite an honour I'd have thought. So it's famous!

Quickly usurped by the kid in Florida who put a screwdriver to his Kerry-voting girlfriend's throat.

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. It made it to the progressive political forum I post on. What a fokken coward, whoever it was who reported her. This is what it's come to. The country has become so polarized in the last 4 years that you can't even have a political opinion anymore without serious reprocussions. :down:

the secret service responds to any and every reported threat to the president's life, no matter who's in office... republican or democrat. if you make such a threat in a public place and it gets reported, you can expect to have the secret service looking into it, even if it's meant in jest. the service is not run by president bush. they are perhaps the only non-partisan group left in Washington DC. every threat is taken serious, because god forbid the one time they don't take a threat seriously and something happens.

Last edited:
It's a nation run by fear. If Bush is elected again, expect more of the same for 4 years.
George Orwell was off a few years.
"1984" is now. Big Brother Is Watching!
Report everyone that is an enemy
of the State. Have a Nice Day! :)
However, If a person wrote about doing harm to the president, then the Secret Service & FBI have every right to investigate though.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the secret service responds to any and every reported threat to the president's life, no matter who's in office... republican or democrat. if you make such a threat in a public place and it gets reported, you can expect to have the secret service looking into it, even if it's meant in jest. the service is not run by president bush. they are perhaps the only non-partisan group left in Washington DC. every threat is taken serious, because god forbid the one time they don't take a threat seriously and something happens.

:up:

I think one can safely disagree with the president and call him a complete utter moron and be safe....just don't say anything that implies harm as 'Headache' said.

The problem is when one CANNOT say these things (i.e. prez=moron) that constitutes a problem.

:shifty:

i wonder if this means that people in DC have been reading my sexy edwards thread............:shifty: i hope that thread doesn't kill my chances of working for him!!! :shifty:

oh well i'm young and reckless they'll let it slide :wink:

I could make a sleazy joke about a sexy Bill Clinton thread being an advantage for an internship U2Democrat - but then again I just did :wink:

U2Traveller said:
I'm sure this person got everything that was coming to him/ her. I am glad to see that the FBI are doing their job.

I can't really speak for the girl because I did not see the original post or have any prior knowledge of her, but to say that she deserved getting reported to the FBI for ranting about something Bush said -- isn't that a bit extreme? Like I said before, I can't really speak on her behalf but she seems perfectly nice and I can't imagine why she would, of all people, deserve be reported for exercising free speech.

Back
Top Bottom